ComputerizedMTG

Ixalan: UR Control

6 posts in this topic

Hello all! Been taking some time off magic, but with rotation and and exciting new Standard environment I am back at it again, and because I am hard headed and I like trying to make sub-optimal things work I am in the process of building a UR control deck. Sure I could go Jeskai, Grixis, or even Esper of UB as they are all better alternatives, but that would include me not banging my head against the wall several times before I give up :)

ixalan-ur-control-1.thumb.png.4f766ea4ad43cee58e66733cc3e7a950.png

Here is the link to the deck list on Tappedout: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ixalan-ur-control-1/ 

Let me know what you think, any feedback is appreciated.

Lasraik and Abaddon like this

Looks like a solid strategy, I still think it's cool we get counterspells like Disallow in Standard.  This list is kinda-sorta similar to the one @GenericBadMagic but without the mill component.  

26 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

Looks like a solid strategy, I still think it's cool we get counterspells like Disallow in Standard.  This list is kinda-sorta similar to the one @GenericBadMagic but without the mill component.  

I always like seeing alternative lists with similar motives, let me know how this one turns out for you. It’s a really strong archetype and I feel like it’s set for big things this standard.

With Lightning Strike back in the format, if there's another good burn spell and another prowess creature or two printed, you can use Baral to play a pretty mean UR tempo deck.  Creatures aren't as good in control decks, as the main goal is to create dead draws of removal spells from most opponents for extra card advantage, at least in game one.  Post board, you can bring in some creatures as they board out some removal to give you extra time to chip damage in with your new threats.  The creatures you board in need to be fairly high impact though to give you the best chance to close out the game before your opponent draws any removal they couldn't side out or that hits multiple types of targets.  Right now, I don't view Baral as high enough impact to bring in, but if counter-burn becomes good again, he could definitely see more play.

rainman likes this

On 10/8/2017 at 10:21 PM, Molimo said:

With Lightning Strike back in the format, if there's another good burn spell and another prowess creature or two printed, you can use Baral to play a pretty mean UR tempo deck.  Creatures aren't as good in control decks, as the main goal is to create dead draws of removal spells from most opponents for extra card advantage, at least in game one.  Post board, you can bring in some creatures as they board out some removal to give you extra time to chip damage in with your new threats.  The creatures you board in need to be fairly high impact though to give you the best chance to close out the game before your opponent draws any removal they couldn't side out or that hits multiple types of targets.  Right now, I don't view Baral as high enough impact to bring in, but if counter-burn becomes good again, he could definitely see more play.

Interesting, I for one would love to see the return of counterburn