Lasraik

Site renewal time, looking for feedback/suggestions

23 posts in this topic

With the site renewal coming up in a few months I've been trying to determine the current state of affairs with the community and if it's active enough to continue.  If you have any feedback of improvements or suggestions that you think would be successful I'm open to hearing them and welcome any ideas (even if you think it might be silly or negative).  Negative feedback won't be taken personally.  

If you aren't comfortable posting here please PM me privately.  

I've not been able to join in as much as usual lately but I'd hate to see KTM disappear. It's lasted through what has been a relatively poor time for the game, but now things are looking much brighter. Ixalan looks like a lot of fun, EDH is slowly taking over as one of the most important formats and a new, hopefully better, digital version of the game is on the horizon. Plus there's some Legacy happening local to me so I should get to play some paper Magic again soon. If only I can manage to get my hands on some Volcanic Islands while still being to pay for rent and food, the MTG world will be perfect...

4 hours ago, Lasraik said:

With the site renewal coming up in a few months I've been trying to determine the current state of affairs with the community and if it's active enough to continue.  If you have any feedback of improvements or suggestions that you think would be successful I'm open to hearing them and welcome any ideas (even if you think it might be silly or negative).  Negative feedback won't be taken personally.  

If you aren't comfortable posting here please PM me privately.  

Activity will peak and trough with peoples work commitments and their content progression I guess but it would be a real shame to see this disappear! 

Lasraik likes this

My goal is to continue but trying to get an honest assessment of its current status and how it can be improved.

I'd hate to see it go :( I know I haven't been posting as much due to life craziness but this site has become a routine for me to visit.

In the end it's up to you @Lasraik. I love this place and would hate to see it go.

Lasraik likes this

15 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

I'd hate to see it go :( I know I haven't been posting as much due to life craziness but this site has become a routine for me to visit.

In the end it's up to you @Lasraik. I love this place and would hate to see it go.

Thanks @MTGZuby :) 

I'm a huge fan of these forums, the community is great, and so are the discussions! It's honestly the only place right now where I feel comfortable just venting out a big opinionated post without feeling like it's going to turn into a heated battle to the death. Y'know, like on Twitter and stuff. :P

Lasraik and rainman like this

I'd really hate to see this site go. Like others have said about themselves, I too haven't been active on the site (life gets in the way), but I have been lurking about. Honestly, I'm with @Affinity for MTG, it's nice to have a place for discussion, oppose to verbal battles. I also lurk the MTG reddit subform and it's a fucking toxic environment the further you delve into the comments (r/EDH isn't as bad).

Is the issue with the site time, or money, or activity? (If you don't mind me asking). 

Lasraik likes this

15 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

I'm a huge fan of these forums, the community is great, and so are the discussions! It's honestly the only place right now where I feel comfortable just venting out a big opinionated post without feeling like it's going to turn into a heated battle to the death. Y'know, like on Twitter and stuff. :P

Thanks, that's what I was shooting for :) 

10 hours ago, King of Jank said:

I'd really hate to see this site go. Like others have said about themselves, I too haven't been active on the site (life gets in the way), but I have been lurking about. Honestly, I'm with @Affinity for MTG, it's nice to have a place for discussion, oppose to verbal battles. I also lurk the MTG reddit subform and it's a fucking toxic environment the further you delve into the comments (r/EDH isn't as bad).

Is the issue with the site time, or money, or activity? (If you don't mind me asking). 

Not really an issue, but they are all considerations.  Just making sure there's not something I'm missing, seeing if anyone wants to contribute or offer help/suggestions on how it can be improved.

King of Jank likes this

Soooo... Are you looking for people to be mods?  Or like someone or someone's to be another administrator?  

When is renewal due?  Have a PayPal link or a way I can toss a few $$ other than Amazon affiliate?

On 10/21/2017 at 9:17 AM, Abaddon said:

Soooo... Are you looking for people to be mods?  Or like someone or someone's to be another administrator?  

When is renewal due?  Have a PayPal link or a way I can toss a few $$ other than Amazon affiliate?

Mods would be great.  I'd be open to another admin if that person was on the same page as I am in regards to what direction the site will take and is trustworthy.

Renewal is in January.  I have PayPal but that's all other than Amazon Affiliate.  

With the repeal of Net Neutrality today it could mean the end of sites like this and it could mean nothing at all.  Will be keeping a close eye on how this all plays out before I commit to a long contract with my webhost.  Thankfully I have until next month to decide, but instead of doing a year contract I'll probably do month to month until the smoke clears.

If it is renewed I'll most likely be getting a smaller hosting plan and removing some of the features on the site to make the overall number of executions smaller each day/week.  

1 hour ago, And The Geek Shall said:

If you're going to add stuff to the forum, might I suggest a card linking system like they have on Reddit, so people don't have to add their own links when talking about individual cards and the like.

I've been in touch with someone who was going to do this for me but I keep catching him at the wrong times.  It's definitely on my to do list

Hey Lasraik, don't want to be an echo chamber, but I do echo everyone else's sentiments.  Web forums are a tough thing these days with changes like reddit and social media, but I really enjoy the site.  I check it out pretty much every day!

I don't have much in the way of concrete suggestions for how to improve the site, but appreciate the effort you put into this and into supporting the MTG and specifically the content creator's community. :)

On 12/15/2017 at 4:32 PM, ChuckWagonMTG said:

I'm Really digging what you have going on here. As for mods, I can help out from time to time. I spend all day on the pc as it is. And I'm sure there are more than a few here taht would kick a few donations your way to help out with costs

I'll take you up on your offer.  I haven't set up a mod usergroup yet but I'll check it out and we can talk about how much (or little) you'd like to do or contribute :) Appreciate the help!

On 12/15/2017 at 10:23 PM, MTGandME said:

Hey Lasraik, don't want to be an echo chamber, but I do echo everyone else's sentiments.  Web forums are a tough thing these days with changes like reddit and social media, but I really enjoy the site.  I check it out pretty much every day!

I don't have much in the way of concrete suggestions for how to improve the site, but appreciate the effort you put into this and into supporting the MTG and specifically the content creator's community. :)

You are right, it's tough going these days with social media and places like reddit.  I'd like this place to avoid being toxic like those places can be while still allowing people to voice their opinions.  I appreciate the kind words

On 12/16/2017 at 3:10 AM, Temporal Magic said:

I know I haven't been active on here in awhile, but I love having an alternative to the bigger sites.

Twitter and Reddit have gotten full of drama and toxicity lately. It's nice to be able to connect to other smaller creators and players in a civilized forum.

Posts like this mean a lot to me, thanks :) 

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

Update to all that I'll be doing a three month renewal this week.  I couldn't downgrade my hosting package like I planned because once you move up to the better plan and start using those resources you can't go back down.  I'll be supplying a PayPal donation button by requests from some users.  I don't expect any donations and of course it's not required but if anyone wants to throw a few bucks towards site fees I greatly appreciate it.  If not that's cool to.  :)

If anyone is curious for transparencies sake, here are the yearly costs:

Spoiler

Costs.PNG

I know there are other cheaper plans but I've had really bad luck with cheaper hosts and one time lost all of my data with no chance of recovery.  I pay the extra because the service is excellent and I've had zero problems or downtime with it.

I dont know how long this sites been up, but its like starting a youtube channel. Stay positive and it will grow. Surround yourself with positive people and things will happen. I mean i know im not a huge content creator(yet?), but i never thought i would eclipse 100 let alone 200 subs. Be patient and in time things will happen. I will start plugging the site on my budget videos to try and draw people in.

I was thinking instead of a forum if youd consider using a discord chatroom. Use the site for content, and the chatroom for discussion. I like forums, but i personally feel they are out dated. Just my opinions.

MTGZuby likes this

On 1/15/2018 at 10:00 AM, MancaveMTG said:

I was thinking instead of a forum if youd consider using a discord chatroom. Use the site for content, and the chatroom for discussion. I like forums, but i personally feel they are out dated. Just my opinions.

I'm personally not a fan of Discord chat rooms or social media platforms like Twitter, maybe I'm behind the times but I still prefer forums and having ownership of the site, content (posts, data) and not being at the mercy of some company and their rules.  Forums still get traffic, it does take more time to gain members than it used to.

4 hours ago, Lasraik said:

I'm personally not a fan of Discord chat rooms or social media platforms like Twitter, maybe I'm behind the times but I still prefer forums and having ownership of the site, content (posts, data) and not being at the mercy of some company and their rules.  Forums still get traffic, it does take more time to gain members than it used to.

The only issue i have with forums is the content is scattered. Most people anymore want stuff fast. I caved and got twitter a month ago. Im not saying forums suck, as i still enjoy it. Its about going with what the majority is doing. Quiet speculation had started to realize that while i was active on there. Not to many people are digging forums anymore. I understand your reasons, i was just giving my input was all.

Lasraik likes this