Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Mulligan Rule

4 posts in this topic

Saw this video the other day and learned a few things about the history of the mulligan rule.  Wanted to share:

Do you all agree that you should get on free mulligan?  Would you change the rule or leave it the same as it is now?

Abaddon likes this

I haven't watched the video yet, but I wouldn't mind 1 free mulligan. Drawing no-land hands is basically the worst thing ever. However, you have to look at the flip-side of the coin, if we were more liberal with mulligans then it paves the way for more toxic turn-1-win combo decks. It's always a delicate balance, and if fun/enjoyment is the ultimate goal then you have to be careful about swinging things in the opposite direction, where free-win decks become too powerful.

Of course, you COULD change the mulligan rule, and then ban those decks, but that would probably be a PR disaster. What would DesolatorMagic and Unsleeved Media say!? ;)

Lasraik likes this

23 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

I haven't watched the video yet, but I wouldn't mind 1 free mulligan. Drawing no-land hands is basically the worst thing ever. However, you have to look at the flip-side of the coin, if we were more liberal with mulligans then it paves the way for more toxic turn-1-win combo decks. It's always a delicate balance, and if fun/enjoyment is the ultimate goal then you have to be careful about swinging things in the opposite direction, where free-win decks become too powerful.

Of course, you COULD change the mulligan rule, and then ban those decks, but that would probably be a PR disaster. What would DesolatorMagic and Unsleeved Media say!? ;)

Agree with all of your points on this one.  It's a delicate balance and I'm sure someone would brew up some crazy deck with just a few lands to abuse the rule and end up in more bannings.  Overall I think it's best that we probably leave the rule as-is.  Maybe for some casual events or certain LGS nights they could have the option of going with either rule.