Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

How do you keep box opening videos interesting?

5 posts in this topic

Have a question to those of you who watch MTG YouTube videos:  What keeps you watching box opening videos?

I notice more and more creators are either shortening their box opening videos or splitting them into multiple videos.  This helps keep me interested and breaks it up a bit instead of watching a half an hour of someone opening packs.  

Having another person with you in the video and having banter helps as well.  Keeps things interesting.

So what do you look for in box opening videos?  What is it about those videos that you check out of right away or don't even click on vs. the ones that you'll sit and watch?

MTGandME and King of Jank like this

Being able to fill the time with banter is pretty important, and that's what terrifies me about the idea of speaking during extended pack openings. That's just not in my wheelhouse, but the people who CAN do it are pretty awesome.  Even though I frequently disagree with Jeremy at Unsleeved Media and don't like the direction his channel has taken, I always thought he was great and making a lengthy pack openings interesting. The same is true for MTG Magpie, she breaks her box openings into 3 vidoes but I'm pretty confident I could watch a 30+ minute box opening without a problem.

I also usually watch The Professors box openings, and I think what makes those so watchable is he tries to make enough money to buy another box.  I mean, a lot of people keep a running total of the value of their openings, but knowing there is actually going to be another box adds to the anticipation, for sure.

Lasraik likes this

It has to be all about the banter/jokes. Even stuff like "So let me know what you want to crack in this set in the comments down below blah blah blah", it's nothing but filler.

I haven't had the chance to do it much, but I've watched videos where they make a game out of cracking packs and have some prize at the end, like whoever opens the more expensive pack gets X points. It kind of makes you want to see who wins, oppose to just skipping to the rare of each pack.

One youtuber who is awesome at opening packs is Brendan at BoosterTutor, his random buy openings are always captivating even if they're ~20 minutes, just because of the crazy stuff he finds.

I just like to see the possibility of huge pulls from old packs- watching someone open the latest standard set isn't that exciting (i could do that myself anytime i wanted to). The series that was on YouTube last year some time of the guys opening a Beta starter and 3 Legends boosters each for a ridiculously expensive sealed deck tournament was so much fun to watch, even though the production was nothing to write home about and most of the guys involved quite nervous and wooden on camera

Can't remember what the name of the tournament was now, but the videos sadly seem to have disappeared