Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jag

Age of Wonders

4 posts in this topic

The link you posted is for Age of Wonders III.  Yeah, me and @Lasraik and maybe someone else.  I'm sure I posted a topic about it, but that was quite a while back and probably on one of the older message boards.  As I recall, I bought it, played it, endorsed it here, and then Las picked it up and maybe even still plays occasionally.

I also have several (if not all) older Age of Wonders titles, and as I look, there is a downloadable in my library that doesn't appear as part of the Steam package:  AoW3 - Dragon's Throne (scenario) [edit: ah, nevermind, I see it is part of the Deluxe package].  I don't remember it, specifically, but I also have the other DLC in the Steam collection.

Anyway ... the AoW series are fun, solid 4x fantasy-genre games.  AoW3 is the latest engine to the series and is perhaps the most sophisticated.  The older titles are also fun in their own way, although their graphics are a bit dated.

In AoW3, there are a number of different cultures available to play, and each have their own unique units with their own abilities (and animations in the combat screen) ... so tactics comes into play along with strategy.  The units may all be broken down into broad categories (i.e, ranged, melee, magic, elite, etc.) but each army's units include special abilities (per unit) not found in other culture's armies.

FWIW, GoG has AoW, AoW: Shadow Magic, and AoW2: The Wizard's Throne on their weekly sale for a couple bucks each or thereabout.

Edited by Elovia
Lasraik and Jag like this

There isn't much diplomancer stuff in them, they pretty much expect you to go out and slaughter each other to win, but if you go in knowing that then its decent.  They probably work better in multiplayer for that very reason, no one gets upset for going warmonger on them when they are trying to go for a culture win.

16 hours ago, Jazz said:

There isn't much diplomancer stuff in them, they pretty much expect you to go out and slaughter each other to win, but if you go in knowing that then its decent.  They probably work better in multiplayer for that very reason, no one gets upset for going warmonger on them when they are trying to go for a culture win.

Who are you and what have you done with Jazz?  Where's our beloved megalomaniac?  "It's my way or I will crush you like a bug until you wish you had even the most meager distant sighting of a highway as an option."  What's with the diplomacy as a first option (or even give-a-shit about it) attitude?

Edited by Elovia