Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

How do you organize/sort your cards?

36 posts in this topic

I tried at first do to separate commons, uncommons, rares, mythics by alphabetical order but it would have taken me weeks (instead of days).  So instead I sort all expansions in a block in one box, then each one by color, and type.  

Using a note card I cut about an inch off the top and it fits pretty well in a standard size box.  This helps when I have to look for something fast or when I'm putting things back from decks that just didn't work.

How do you organize?  If at all..

post-1-0-23944800-1453771450_thumb.jpg

I'm starting to organize by playables/holds for long term gains, then block, rarity, color if time.  Bulk is sorted into 5-row boxes by color.

I've had stuff sitting a bulk pile for a while, then all of a sudden it's valuable or playable.  Living End is one example.  I had 5 copies of it sitting in a bulk box for a few years  :lol:

Second part of this question is:  What kind of boxes do you use?  

I didn't really know there were different types, but I usually used the standard BCW boxes but I accidently ordered these shoe box style boxes and love them.  You get more room on the top of the box so if the labels or dividers you are using are a tight fit for the regular boxes, you get extra room.  And it's easier sometimes when the row is filled to the brim to pull cards out.

I have a binder, and I usually go by color, such as white, black, red, green, blue, colorless, etc, lands at the back. All the foils are in front, all the non foils are facing the back. I have yet to get enough of a collection to use a huge box... I have so many other cards that I'd probably have to sit down one day where I'm not busy and just sort them all.

Lasraik likes this

Got the very unglamorous empty booster box option for my commons, everything else in a few binders.

On this note, I was watching a bit of Rich Shay's vintage stream from the weekend, during which he briefly stopped to dig out his collection of Atogs. That guy has got a seriously huge collection- basically a whole 6 foot high bookcase full of binders , one for each set's commons and uncommons, plus a shelf of binders for rares

M4cr0Dutch, Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

I should take a photo of our collection, but I am busy trying to sort things... so much bloody stuff

My wife and I have 4 bookshelves in my 'office', with 12 partitions in total (IIRC)

2 partitions are taken up by the big 4,000 card boxes (4 boxes total)

3 partitions are taken up by our decks

1 is taken up by misc stuff (dice, players guides, binders)

also stuffed in these areas are boxes of misc. things like Planechase cards, tokens, empty fat pack boxes, other crud...

Lasraik likes this

3 hours ago, khunkao said:

Organized alphabetically by color, then by card type (creature, aura, enchantment, instant/interrupt, sorcery, land).  

I also have an Excel spreadsheet tracking all by cards by name, quantity, cardset, and retail price.

I thought about doing every card in a spreadsheet but I would never be heard of seen from again.  Even sorting by card type can be time intensive.  I guess if you start out that way and sort everything as you get it it's not too bad.

6 hours ago, Lasraik said:

I thought about doing every card in a spreadsheet but I would never be heard of seen from again.  Even sorting by card type can be time intensive.  I guess if you start out that way and sort everything as you get it it's not too bad.

Yeah, i totally started that way and just kept it up, for the most part. The spreadsheet is a recent thing. Took me about 2 weeks. (i have just under 10K cards). Ive thought about switching to color and alphabetical only...

Lasraik likes this

I have a collection going back to Revised, and I've got almost everything sorted by set because the Vorthos in me wants it like that, but every time I try to brew a deck, it's such a pain going through every box for one card here, another card there, etc.

I'm seriously considering sorting by colors/guilds/etc. Do you all find that's easier to find what you need that way? 

Lasraik likes this

On 7/15/2016 at 9:44 AM, milo bloom said:

I have a collection going back to Revised, and I've got almost everything sorted by set because the Vorthos in me wants it like that, but every time I try to brew a deck, it's such a pain going through every box for one card here, another card there, etc.

I'm seriously considering sorting by colors/guilds/etc. Do you all find that's easier to find what you need that way? 

I prefer sorting by set.  I does suck having to go through box after box but at least you know which box to look in and have a section of cards to pull and search through.  Needing one black creature means you have to search through a whole box of black to find that one creature.  

13 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

You inspired me to write a small little article on how I sort my cards :)

http://magicwithzuby.com/sorting-with-zuby/

I also tried to sort by rarity and alphabetically at first, screw that.  Takes too long.  

I may be changing my mind. 

I've had mine by sets for ages but I'm starting to feel the bother of looking in multiple boxes for a card (especially if I need multiples, a reprint here, a reprint there...) so I took the first step of what may be many and I pulled out all the non-basic lands. I'm going to sort them by color/guild/wedge/etc and then within each color I'll separate by fixing/acceleration first then utilities second, but all will be in one box. 

It's one thing to separate Mirrodin from Zendikar, but when non-basic lands get reprinted from set to set it seems silly to separate them by set. How many times were the painlands reprinted? (Actually, I just checked, looks like five times in sets, then random printings in special decks, so yeah). 

If I like how this works, then I may go back and pull out more, maybe sticking with iconic races like angels, elves, goblins, etc. 

Lasraik likes this

We have been separating the lands for ages too actually - we have all the lands in one box, sorted by type (basic, basic full art, 2 colour, 3 colour, utility, etc). 

Land is really important for building decks and its too much of a pain to scrabble through all the sets to find that land you might need... especially when the same land in multiple sets would do the trick... (and especially if you run out in one set but not another...). 

Lasraik and milo bloom like this

I found Deckbox.org when I first started so my entire* collection is on there, in the year I have been playing I have only had to re-input the card list once because I had "traded" cards to my eldest son (read: given). Physically my cards are in two gift boxes, Takir (red one) holds my Modern collection and a Shadows over Innistrad one holds the Standard stuff, M15 Fat Pack holds my land, and I have a Return to Ravica (I think, its blue) for a couple of Modern decks and my 8th Ed starter cards. SOI Deckbuilder's Toolkit box (1) is my pre-release prepared box (40 sleeves, pack of protective sleeves for good pulls and my dice etc) SOI DBT (2) holds all the recent Aether Revolt cards I was lucky enough to win a booster box in the pre-release raffle. I also have a Prophecy folder which has 6 pages of the 3x3 pockets but I have yet to decide what warrants going in that.

*Entire collection = 5k cards so rather small :P

Edit: They are stored by colour, alphabetically!

Edited by Dalfort
missed information
Manticore and Lasraik like this

On 7/17/2016 at 0:38 PM, Lasraik said:

I prefer sorting by set.  I does suck having to go through box after box but at least you know which box to look in and have a section of cards to pull and search through.  Needing one black creature means you have to search through a whole box of black to find that one creature.  

Me too.  When the collection was only a couple thousand cards, sorting by guild and color was ok; now that it is far larger a new system was needed.

I have over 40,000 cards now and sort by set.  Up until recently each set was sorted basically in number order (but more practically in WUBRGMCLT order).  I'm currently behind by about 4000 cards and have been putting them away, especially for older sets, just by slotting in the cards in random order at the front.  If I need to pull an individual card, it's still relatively easy to find.

I use deckbox.org to track my collection. It makes it easy to see at a glance if I'm missing a card I'd like to try in a particular deck and helps keep track of the whole thing.

Cards are almost all stored in an old 5 drawer dresser I call the 'Codex Magica'. Overflow (mostly new sets) are stored in gift boxes in a cube shelf.