TheCandyMan

Rare Picking Drafting?

8 posts in this topic

Anyone else just pick the rares and try to build around them no matter how bad they are?

I am torn when I draft at LGS because I do play commander and sometimes these janky rares are bombs in commander.

In an AMK draft I ended up walking away with almost 9 rares (noone wanted the desert rares)  However now I have a repeatable GY hate for commander.

King of Jank, Lasraik and MTGandME like this

I'll often take the rare, particularly if there's no good choice to go with the deck I've chosen or have been pushed into.  I'll take a decent rare over a decent C/U almost every time. 

I do often try to splash them in the deck if they're bomb-y enough, and I am always thinking in the back of my head what I can do with these cards outside of the draft. :)

TheCandyMan likes this

Depends on how many turns into the draft for me usually.  If rares fall too many rounds into the draft then there's probably a reason and I don't hesitate to take an uncommon or common instead and pass it along.  Early in the draft sometimes I'll pick it unless there's a really great U or C in the pack.  

TheCandyMan likes this

If I want the rare for constructed, I'll pick it as I usually have a couple picks to spare for grabbing playables and sometimes it removes an almost unbeatable card from the draft as well.  If I don't need the rare for something and it's not splashable for draft, I'll let the off color/theme rares go.

Lasraik likes this

When drafting, I always evaluate the rare on how playable it is in my current deck.  If the rare doesn't fit my deck, then I ask myself, "Is this card worth more than the money that I could get for winning this draft?" If the answer to that question is no, then taking the card that is best for my deck is what I will do.  Similarly to what @JesGolbez already mentioned, I never open cards of great value anyway, so I don't have to ask myself this question often.  As someone who loves the draft format, I care about having good draft results and I will most of the time end up picking the card that helps my deck the most.  I've been made fun of before for taking a common out of a pack that had a mythic and a foil mythic, but I ended up winning that draft.  I have also been made of for being upset about drafting an invocation Couterspell because I wanted the Bloodrage Brawler for my deck instead.

JesGolbez and Lasraik like this