Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

Travel channel

28 posts in this topic

I have thought of putting my ideas to a website.  I love vacation planning.  Not to plan for people, but to share what I have done.

Exactly. I like travelling and love hearing about travels of others. It's very inspirational. 

I was in Budapest, Hungary, last week. Interesting place, but i don't want to clog up the normal forum slots with my ramblings. 

Jazz likes this

I was kind of going that direction with my Paris post.

I do exhaustive planning for these trips usually starting 18+ months in advance.  My family has no issues with hiking and/or walking.

This was a trip we took in 2016 to Yellowstone/Glacier.  https://goo.gl/maps/wJp3VJSaXEn

The map is messed up because google maps won't let you route roads that are closed during the Winter, but you get the gist.

Itinerary:

Thu May 26 - Holiday Inn Express & Suites OGDEN
Fri May 27 Old Faithful Inn East Hotel Room 2 Queens 
Sat May 28 - Sun May 29 Lake Hotel Frontier Cabin 2 Doubles
Mon May 30 Mammoth Hotel Standard Room 2 Queens 
Tue May 31 Hampton Inn GREAT FALLS
Wed Jun 1 - Thu Jun 2 Thronsons Store & Motel 
Fri Jun 3 - Sat Jun 4 Lake McDonald Lodge
Sun Jun 5 Holiday Inn Express SPOKANE-DOWNTOWN
Mon Jun 6 - SPOKANE, WA flight 06:00 AM

I have a similar trip planned for next year.  San Francisco - Yosemite - Sequoia - LA
Give you some idea of what I do ... I have the better part of day planned in SF of things I want to see.  https://goo.gl/maps/MCbd9emyK2M2
Its a 4+ hour route.  But it leaves plenty of time to eat and look around at things that we might find interesting.  We will take public transportation when we can too.

I want to go to France the following year and South Africa the year after that, 2020. 
Why are we doing these?  One major reason ... its probably the last family vacations we have.  Kids will be off to college.

I understand about peoples budgets and not being able to do these types of things.  Some people have really nice cars.  Others have big houses.  Our family likes to travel.

I would love to know where you stayed in Budapest.  How you decided to go there, flights, any details.  I love that stuff.
Edited by Dunnar
Jazz likes this

1 hour ago, Jag said:

You drove right by my house!

Amazing beauty.  My wife and I talk about going back during the winter to see the snow and late in the Summer when all the roads are open.  We went in late May and everything still wasn't open in Glacier.

I may use Bing for my future trips.

This is the actual route we took:  https://binged.it/2yB5HP8

Jazz likes this

Funnily enough. I did that exact (or very similar) route in the mid 90's. Spokane to Salt lake, via Mammoth Hot Springs. Although, IIRC we went through Idaho rather than Montana. That was part of a month-long trip with a mate, which started in Seattle, taking in Olympic nat park, Vancouver island, Vanc itself, Kamloops, Banff, Calgary, all the way down to Vegas via the Grand Canyon, Death Valley and Arches and back to SF via Yosemite before going home. Helluva trip.

Re: Budapest. It's 2.5 hours flight, and 1 hour to the airport. For a change, we each took 1 small backpack. Travelling without hold luggage is VERY liberating. E-check in means you can arrive at the airport and go straight through security. When you get to the other end, no waiting for the carousel. 

We stayed at Boscolo Residence, which are suites attached to a very posh 5-star hotel. The suites were two bedroom, each bedroom having it's own bathroom, with a lounge and kitchen area. Fin was in heaven having his own bathroom. Pics of the suite below. The jewel of the hotel was the New York restaurant, which is regarded as one of the worlds finest. They served free-flowing champagne, rose and white wines for breakfast (not for me unfortunately - it would wreck my day). Smoked salmon and sweet pickled Herring. Caviar, and breakfasts to match most cultures and tastes. All served in an incredibly sumptuous gold and baroque style restaurant. Pic below.

Budapest itself, unfortunately, doesn't hold much for 8 year olds. It's eastern european-ness is evident, being a former communist/soviet ruled country. The government building and churches/cathedrals are just lovely; as is the general setting of the city being split as two formerly separate cities of Buda and Pext, on either side of the Danube. Highlights (apart from Breakfast) were probably the night cruise along the Danube.

Homelessness is very evident and the sight of a drunk vagrant female pissing openly in a crowded underpass can be upsetting. Saying that, we never felt any threat or danger. Publilc transport is fantastic. Costs are higher than Cardiff (apart from red wine, which is dirt cheap), which really surprised me, but is probably mostly down to the weak sterling.

I probably wouldn't go again by choice, but only because there is a HUGE world out there to explore. But i would recommend it for one visit at least.

By the way, the cost for that hotel were £60 per night, including breakfast, for the 3 of us. Which i considered to be one of the best bargains i've come across.

boscolo-residence.jpg.e6a8b54c4b2fef76528565735e76d358.jpgresidence-budapest-deluxe-01.jpg.13c654eeb3e598851d883dae39368b94.jpgBlog8.thumb.jpg.364a422378d84c4a13bfe883c6d8a0c5.jpgnew-york-kavehaz-1627918_1920.thumb.jpg.f45520aaa66d12ee32d617fa5e3d713d.jpg

Edited by Pasanda
Jazz, Dunnar, Jag and 1 other like this

WOW airlines and Islandair recently opened service in Cleveland.  I believe they are coming to Pittsburgh as well.  I happen to live in the middle of the 2 cities, so it makes travel planning nice.

Its nice for us in the East because they offer relatively inexpensive travel to Europe via direct flights to Reykjavik.  Kind of nice because it completely changes the economics of going to Europe.  What was once a $1300 flight is now in the $800 range.  Big difference for a family of 4.

I really hope these airlines do well.  If so, it will open the doors for others.  $1000+ plane fairs are very hard to digest, especially when I can fly pretty much anywhere in North America or Caribbean for under $400

3 hours ago, Dunnar said:

WOW airlines and ...

How does that work? Horde on one side of the aisle and Alliance on the other?

Jazz likes this

37 minutes ago, Elovia said:

And are some planes PvP everywhere servers and if so does that include the cockpit?  And which side does the crew fall on?

3 minutes ago, Jazz said:

And are some planes PvP everywhere servers and if so does that include the and cockpit?  And which side does the crew fall on?

Don't be silly. The FAA only allows co-op flights, and the TSA restricts PvP to areas outside the airport screening stations.

Rumor has it that some airlines will soon provide group raid content by offering incentives to sporting organizations to meet their travel needs.

Edited by Elovia
Jazz likes this

6 hours ago, Elovia said:

Yeah.. .and does the .... Oh, i can't be arsed.

$500 reduction per person is huge, and can make the difference in the quality of your vacation.

Check out Norwegian Air. We're flying back from NYC to the UK next year; already booked, for £221 including 1 * checked suitcase each, non-stop. Amazing value IMO. We used Norwegian coming back from Tenerife in August of this year and they were fine - no frills of course. But fine.

Edited by Pasanda

7 hours ago, Elovia said:

Don't be silly. The FAA only allows co-op flights, and the TSA restricts PvP to areas outside the airport screening stations.

Rumor has it that some airlines will soon provide group raid content by offering incentives to sporting organizations to meet their travel needs.

Wasn't there an entire Avengers movie about fighting in an airport?

9 hours ago, Jag said:

Wasn't there an entire Avengers movie about fighting in an airport?

Was that Antman, or was he just in it?

Shit the bed. Both glorious and scary simultaneously. 

When they find your frozen corpse in bed one morning, can i have ur stuff?

Too soon?

Lasraik likes this

16 hours ago, Jag said:

I don't have any vacation pictures on my phone, but this is leaving the house every morning in the winter.

20161230_083319.thumb.jpg.7a05ccf8f9ad6540abc9ea8b19119513.jpg

Where is it you live again?  And would people notice if I pretended to be you so I could have your stuff?

20 hours ago, Jag said:

You already had my mom.  I have nothing left to give.

You'd be surprised. 

On 11/3/2017 at 3:07 AM, Pasanda said:

Just an idea. Would a "Travels" subdir be good under Pub? Somewhere to pist photos and stories.

I'll be happy to make this if you'd like, just let me know.

I don't think it'd get a huge amount of traffic, but it would feel better not clogging up the pub with holiday snaps.

12 hours ago, Pasanda said:

I don't think it'd get a huge amount of traffic, but it would feel better not clogging up the pub with holiday snaps.

You can clog my pub up anytime.

Jag likes this

3 hours ago, Jazz said:

You can clog my pub up anytime.

Again with the clogging. Always the clogging. Get a room. (best said with an Israeli accent).

Jazz likes this