Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Kohan

2 posts in this topic

Today I am one happy gamer.  My list of all time favorite RTS-RPG games includes the Kohan series:  Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns, Kohan: Ahriman's Gift, and Kohan II: Kings of War ... mostly the first two, but also the last.  I've spent many, many hours playing these over the years.  They were produced by TimeGate Studios starting back in 2001, and unfortunately TimeGate is long since out of business.  That said, you can still purchase them on Steam (unfortunately, not on GoG at this time).  Anyway, whatever Microsoft did, they broke the games and made them unplayable when they released Windows 8+.  And since my forced upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I lost the ability to play them.  Until today when I discovered the greater internet and Kohan community found a fix and we can all resume marinating in the goodness of all things Kohan.

The first two games are basically the same ... the second being a standalone upgrade to the first (i.e., more units, different AI, new mechanics, new strategies, etc.) ... but they're both worth getting if only for the campaigns in each (the first is not redone in the second).  The first two are isometric 16-bit sprite-based graphics, and I know that will turn some off, but the graphics do not seem to detract much from game play.  Kohan II, on the other hand has 3D graphics ... but the story and game play somewhat departed from the originals.  Don't get me wrong, it is fun and stands on it's own merits, but it isn't necessarily a true extension of the first two.

There are plenty of reviews and descriptions out there about these games, and I won't repeat them here.  The games are good entry level RTS-RPG fare, and may be played either single- or multi-player.  Originally multiplayer was through GameSpy, but I understand it still works with manual connections; I don't ever play this way, but just letting you guys know  the options are out there if you want to try a co-op v AI, team v team (v AI), or total death match family night.

Anyone else ever played?

I'll be taking a break from my current game play list to sink some time back into these again ... My favorite time waster is an 8-person custom map (dragon pass), me vs 7 other random AI in a death match plus diplomacy options.  Good times ...

Edited by Elovia
Lasraik, Jag and Dunnar like this

A couple years old, but a very nice write up and description of game play is over at Rock-Paper-Shotgun.  I agree wholeheartedly with the writer's assessment, how even though the game is an RTS, it removes many of the annoying RTS-typical features (spam- and click-fest micromanagement, unit queues, resource gathering, etc.).  Instead, the game is about balancing the long vision and planning with economic viability and military might.  It's a RTS for us old guys.

It is easy to overextend yourself (i.e., over spend your income, or worse yet, deficit spend), and you will get punished for it more times than not (but to be clear, circumstances may dictate that you sometimes may have to).

The game is brutal and relentless if you get behind the curve, and you will eventually be worn down to defeat ... and if you do get behind the curve, you will always have hope that if you reach deep enough into your resources, create just one more company of soldiers and that will make a difference, only to have them countered with two.

Units move slowly across the map, so you see the oncoming train wreck in slow motion (well, not true completely, you can control their rate of movement a number of ways, but in general, faster movement comes at expense of combat effectiveness); in other words, you're not going to be taken by surprise by a fast-moving zerg swarm.  No, you'll see it coming, and you'll throw all available units to your defense, but you'll be just that much too late, and you will have lost the edge (unless you send in overwhelming resources to save the day and push back the assault).  You will be ground down slowly, thin layer by layer, and you'll be dead before you are ready to admit it.

You will lose, not because you couldn't click orders fast enough at a rate known to cause carpel-tunnel syndrome in lab rats, no, you'll lose because of poor restraint and self-control ... and lack of strategic vision and planning (it's all on you, buddy).  Oh, and the sadistic AI f***ing cheats.  Why else would it win so handily ... so thoroughly ... so, well shit ... who are you going to believe?  Me or your lyin' eyes?

On the other hand, winning is awesome, and you earn that sense of accomplishment.  :wub: 

I just checked and I don't recommend waiting for the game to go on sale.  The last time Steam had it on sale was September 2012 ... a little over 5 years ago.  That said, all three games for just under $20 is a pretty good gaming value.

Edited by Elovia
Dunnar likes this