Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Dead Hardware

41 posts in this topic

R.I.P. my little EVGA 660ti.  You were a silent friend.  We gamed many a long session together, and when you grew long in the tooth, you willingly volunteered to take on a supporting rather than a staring role.  I will miss you, and your two DVI out ports.

Lasraik, ChuckWagonMTG and Jazz like this

32 minutes ago, Wolphard said:

Gee. 'Bout time it kicked the bucket. Try and get a card that's made in this decade atleast.

DVI ports... Pah!

August 2012 (the release of the 660ti) is within this decade ... unless I've done my math wrong.  And I need two DVI outs, one for each of my wing monitors (2 @ 20" 1200x1600), and dual-DVI for my main monitor (30" 2560x1600) .  Monitors are all circa 2007 and still running strong, so no need to replace them any time soon.  They don't have any of those other fancy, new fangled inputs.  I could get adapters, but what's the point if I can get direct output to input?

Anyway, I purchased/ordered an ASUS 1050ti last night to replace it, since that card was relatively cheap and slightly better performance than the 660ti whose performance was more than satisfactory.  My main monitor is driven by a 980ti (should be modern enough for you).  I don't need screaming performance for my wing monitors, just the ability to drive them well in portrait mode from a single card for those times I want an expanded desktop when I'm not gaming (and sometimes when I am - and yes, I use it all ... regularly and often when I'm not gaming).

The new card should arrive Wednesday.

Edited by Elovia
Jazz likes this

4 hours ago, Pasanda said:

<stands silently and respectfully with fingers linked in front and staring at the ground>

*holds X to pay respect*

cod.jpg

Boag, Lasraik and Dunnar like this

3 hours ago, Jag said:

I can never figure out hot to post in a gif.  Tips?

You mean like shown below?

Eating-Popcorn-GIF-Image-for-Whatsapp-and-Facebook-3.gif.156b97cd5da4ec591238f43bedf2517a.gif

Edited by Elovia

On 11/17/2017 at 9:31 PM, Elovia said:

R.I.P. my little EVGA 660ti.  You were a silent friend.  We gamed many a long session together, and when you grew long in the tooth, you willingly volunteered to take on a supporting rather than a staring role.  I will miss you, and your two DVI out ports.

RIP.  Pouring out a lil liquor for the fallen comrade.

giphy.gif

Elovia likes this

2 hours ago, Lasraik said:

RIP.  Pouring out a lil liquor for the fallen comrade.

giphy.gif

You sure that's not your piss? It has the colour of mine.

50 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

That's pretty dark.  Might want to see a Dr

1 hour ago, Pasanda said:

That beverage probably tastes like urine as well.

So to quote Mark Twain, "Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated."

My new 1050ti video card arrived as scheduled, but I didn't get around to installing it in my machine due to recent holiday family festivities (and tryptophan-induced laziness, from over eating turkey and all that other good stuff).  I decided that today would be the day that I would do the ol' switcheroony to once again be able to use my side monitors (I missed their functionality).  So, I cleared off my desk to create some working room, and then hauled the case down from its high shelf above my monitors.  This is an awkward, non-ergonomic maneuver which generally requires lifting heavy items at odd twisting angles, and all sorts of other OSHA violations, including but not limited to standing on a chair.

On a whim while the box was down and open, I decided to verify that it was the 660ti video card that was bad and not the PCIe slot in which it sits.  So I pulled out my good 980ti and then removed the 660ti.  As I prepared to install the 660ti into the 980ti's slot, a small brass hex nut fell out of the 660ti's fans into the palm of my hand.  "Huh, that's weird" thought I.  So I gave the ol' 660ti a vigorous shake and I could hear a faint rattling [disclaimer: don't try this at home, kids; the author is a professional and sometimes knows what he's doing].

After a little investigation, which consisted of poking and prying random bits with a long plastic pointer thingy, I found a screw that was missing its nut.  Fortunately, the screw was still in place after all of the shaking, poking and prying.  For two brief moments immediately thereafter things looked bleak indeed; I dropped the tiny nut on the floor where it instantly entered supreme ninja-mode, and just as I found it and breathed a sigh of relief, I bumped the video card and the screw dropped to the floor out of view.  Several frantic minutes later with me on my hands and knees flashlight in hand, I finally found it.  Did I mention this screw and nut were really teeny-tiny?  Then with a bit of lip-biting and the ritual utterance of a few dirty words, I finally got the nut back on the screw by holding it in place with a set of tweezers in one hand and tightening the screw with a miniature screwdriver in the other.  I gave the 660ti another good, two-handed shake and, just like the image on an etch-a-sketch, the rattling was gone.

I installed the "repaired" 660ti in the machine in the slot where the 980ti usually sits.  I plugged in all the relevant cables at the back of the case (note: the 980ti at this point is lying on my desk uninstalled).  And I cautiously hit the power on button to fire up the machine (with hope that it would not literally "fire up").  After a few beeps, whirs, blorks and other nerve-rattling startup noises (along with a few "blinks" of the monitor screen), a familiar Windows 10 desktop stared back at me.  "Huh, so it wasn't the video card," I thought, "Could the loose nut in the works have been the problem all along?"

The short answer is, "yes ... maybe? ... well I don't know."

The screw that was loose is the one that is supposed to clamp the card's circuit board to the slot metal bracket (you know, the weirdly "L"-shaped metal bracket that screws inside the back of the case at the slot), and I suspect that it maybe caused some sort of grounding issue (or lack thereof) when the nut loosened and fell off into the radiator fins.  A casual inspection reveals that there is a metal contact trace on the circuit board under the screw head.  In the installed configuration, there are no electronics below the location from which the nut would have dislodged that would have then cause any sort of short ... there are just the fan blades, radiator fins, and plastic housing.  The symptom that led me to believe I had a bad video card was that as long as I had a second or third monitor plugged into the 660ti video card, the main monitor would go blank.  When the two side monitors were unplugged from the 660ti video card, the main monitor would once again show the familiar desktop.  Weird, yeah.

Testing out my theory that it was the loose screw all along, I put the machine back together again with the 980ti in its rightful slot, and the "repaired" 660ti back in its slot, I plugged in all the appropriate cables, and for good luck I even closed the case by attaching the side door ... and there it is, Bob's your uncle.  The system is back to the way it was a week ago.

And the 1050ti sits unused, still new in a box.  I'll keep it for a spare just in case the "repair" doesn't take.  Because I refuse to take the system down yet again just for a marginal update to a card that appears to work (for now).  The 660ti is a silent one that uses passive cooling, whereas the new 1050ti has two fans, and thus would increase system noise.

Edited by Elovia
Jazz, Dunnar and Lasraik like this

6 hours ago, Wolphard said:

The main thing I took away from this thread: "You can use different types of videocards in a single machine without much hassle."

You can mix and match if you like, but you cannot set them up for surround vision if the video cards are of different types, at least as far as nVidia is concerned.

6 hours ago, Wolphard said:

About the possible grounding issue I wonder whether the other screw that holds the bracket does not have a metal contact trace on the circuit board.

Not sure, and since the system appears to work after replacing/tightening the screw, I'm not willing to take the system down again just for a look.  Based on current theory, there probably isn't a grounding trace under whatever type of attachment is on the other end of the "L"-shaped bracket.  I'll give it a look again when I next take the system down for blow-down dusting.  Unless I happen to run across an image on the internet that clearly shows the connection under consideration.  :)

2 hours ago, Dunnar said:

I took away that he values quiet over looks.

Quiet is good and was one of the original build goals.  This is also why I use the case that I do, because it has sound deadening features (Pasanda will correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall the case is an old Antec P182).  I vividly remember the days of sitting next to a much older build with a different computer case and using a GTX 470 video card that sounded like the offspring of a turbine jet engine and a shop vac vacuum cleaner when it revved up under load.

Edited by Elovia

9 minutes ago, Wolphard said:

Bugger. The whole idea of that comment was to make you curious enough.

/jedi mind trick ... these are not the droids you're looking for.

On 18/11/2017 at 7:59 PM, Pasanda said:

<jumps around noisily and disrespectfully with fingers up in front of face and not staring at the ground>

Elovia likes this

19 hours ago, Elovia said:

I vividly remember the days of sitting next to a much older build with a different computer case and using a GTX 470 video card that sounded like the offspring of a turbine jet engine and a shop vac vacuum cleaner when it revved up under load.

Still using a GTX 480.  I have a nice breeze in the office, its kind of like working at the beach.

Elovia likes this

On 11/26/2017 at 5:57 AM, Dunnar said:

I took away that he values quiet over looks.

Another thought on this ...

Normally I'm not into the whole "have to have a window on the side of a computer case" thing.  I like the P182's clean and simple lines.  However, if I had a place for it (I don't), I wouldn't mind building a water-cooled setup using a Thermaltake 900 case and LED accents (oooh sexah) ... you know, to really showcase the setup.  To me and my way of thinking, go all in or not at all.  That said, I avoid gambling because I suck at it and usually lose it all quickly. :) 

Water cooling has the additional benefit of being quieter than air cooling (or could be in general terms).

Edited by Elovia

You know what really pisses me off?  That most quality cases you can get insist on having a window on the side.  I don't want a window, I don't want to be looking at my computer's guts, just as none of you want to see me pull my pants down in front of you, yet they insist on putting one in there.

Elovia likes this

50 minutes ago, Jazz said:

You know what really pisses me off?  That most quality cases you can get insist on having a window on the side.  I don't want a window, I don't want to be looking at my computer's guts, just as none of you want to see me pull my pants down in front of you, yet they insist on putting one in there.

I agree 1000%.  No matter how much I try, I cannot get my PC cables to look well organized like the pictures.  Over time the lights don't always work, things get dusty and stuff generally get out of place.  

That is a good analogy.  My mom says everything in your pants doesn't work like it use to, its crusty and your stuff is generally out of place. 

Another beef ... why can't someone make a good ergonomic mechanical keyboard?

1 hour ago, Dunnar said:

I agree 1000%.  No matter how much I try, I cannot get my PC cables to look well organized like the pictures.  Over time the lights don't always work, things get dusty and stuff generally get out of place.  

That is a good analogy.  My mom says everything in your pants doesn't work like it use to, its crusty and your stuff is generally out of place. 

Exactly!  I have cables and wires being held out the way by twine.  TWINE!  Tied to the vent grill on top!  You don't need a window to see the twine, as its sticking out the top!

2 hours ago, Jazz said:

Try the P182 that Elovia mentioned. It replaces that window with a thickly-walled panel for extra noise reduction. Lovely case.

Jazz likes this

1 hour ago, Dunnar said:

It's about time someone invented a completely new and actually effective interface for computers. Rather than something that was originally designed specifically to slow you down.

Jazz likes this