Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Dead Hardware

41 posts in this topic

On 28/11/2017 at 2:45 PM, Pasanda said:

Try the P182 that Elovia mentioned. It replaces that window with a thickly-walled panel for extra noise reduction. Lovely case.

Took a look, now that's a case!  Unfortunately everywhere seems out of stock, as if they don't make them anymore!  :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the latest video card scare, I've been half-heartedly looking at new system components.

One of the downsides to the P182 case is that it only has USB 2.0 plugs on the front. This may not seem like a big deal, but I'd kind of like to have USB 3.x instead. If I could figure a way to easily upgrade just those plugs, I'd be happy to build a new system in the old case.  I also have an older P180 case, where the only real difference between that and the P182 is the color.

My current system works well, but it is six years old. I have an even much older system (possibly a decade or more older) sitting to the side that I haven't fired up in many years but should still work, too. I guess I'm casually looking to step up and put my current system as the backup standby.

Now as for windows on cases, it's just not my thing. However, in my current office space utilization, the new system would be on my left with the potential case window hidden up against a wall.  That said, I've been looking for a case similar to the P180-series that has the following features: designed for silence, no window or wierd "gaming" features (e.g., lit up like the Las Vegas strip), has the front panel hidden by a door, plenty of dust filters, accessory plugs and power button are on the front (not top) - preferably in the lower third, two 5 1/4" front facing bays, plenty of room inside for large video cards and CPU coolers, good cable management, not too expensive, and approximately the same or similar size as my current case. That doesn't seem like too much to ask ... but I'm not finding any.

Although it doesn't meet all my criteria, I've been looking closely at a Fractal Designs R5. I may need to consider getting a full tower and putting it down below my desk in the leg well.

/shrug

Edited by Elovia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought an expensive aluminum Lian Li case once before because they were so widely praised. They're not available locally, so I took a chance and ordered one online ... bought without seeing it first.  Needless to say I was not impressed and thoroughly underwhelmed when it arrived.  I put a system in it briefly, but then switched it out as soon as I could. The build quality was poor, the riveted connections were loose, and the whole thing rattled when the system was running.  That may have been when I got my P180.

I won't consider another Lian Li case again even if they have the next greatest thing to the second coming of Christ.

TYVM

 

[edit to add]

I took a look at the suggested Cooler Master 352 after getting home from work.  It is a mini-tower, and only has one 5 1/4" bay on the front; I need two.  The 652S from the same mfg looked promising, but the reviews were horrible and the USB plugs and other controls are on the top.  Pass.

Edited by Elovia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Upon further investigation, this one looks good.  USBs are on the top, but that doesn't matter to me as long as they are toward the front.

Fractal Design FD-CA-DEF-S-BK

Seems like a nice case.  I was looking at its upgraded cousin the R5 Blackout edition.  Having the USB and other ports, as well as the power button, on the top are a problem for me since my case is already so high above my monitors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wolphard said:

Now I'm curious what you need 5,25" bays for still. I prefer using smaller cases these days, with complete disregard for them big bays, and mostly focus on gpu length.

To be honest (with myself), I probably don't really NEED two 5.25" bays, but I WANT two.  I could work around that, but I already have the parts that use two bays.  I still occasionally rip CDs (quaint, I know), and write to DVD-R, so I want to fill one of those slots with a DVD-RW.  Yes, I could get a USB external for such a purpose, but again, I already have one and it works so no need to purchase something else just so the old internal part sits on the shelf.  I also use a SSD hot swap port that fits in the second 5.25" bay.  This frees up internal case space since I can remove the 2.5/3.5" internal bays, and I don't need to use an external drive ... just pop in a SSD and pop it back out as needed ... like a glorified, oversized, but faster thumb drive.  Again, I probably don't NEED it since I could mount the SSDs internally, but it is convenient.

Since my P182 has a 3.25" bay, I can always look for a USB 3.x riser that fits where an old floppy drive would go, thus giving me more front facing USB ports.  I've done some checking on the web and am not finding where folks have been successful swapping out the USB 2.0 ports for more modern USB 3.x.  The existing panel's USB ports has a custom manufactured part (the back to back, double up ports), apparently, and the conversion is not a simple replace this with that using off the shelf components.  USB 2.0 is still relevant with older thumb drives and dongles, so I can live with them as long as I can also have USB 3.x.  Modern motherboards should have plenty of USB 3.x ports these days on the back panel so it isn't like I would be missing out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Elovia said:

The Antec Sonata Proto Black appears to meet most of my criteria, except that it doesn't allow for very good airflow having no front fan capability.  I don't think I'm up for modding to make one fit.

Its like shopping for clothes with my grandpa.  Its not 100% cotton, this one itches, this is too hot, its too tight, doesnt like the buttons, why is there a zipper, its too cold, the size isnt right, too expensive, made in china, color doesnt look good, why did they put this design here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dunnar said:

Its like shopping for clothes with my grandpa.  Its not 100% cotton, this one itches, this is too hot, its too tight, doesnt like the buttons, why is there a zipper, its too cold, the size isnt right, too expensive, made in china, color doesnt look good, why did they put this design here.

Your grandpa sound like a sensible dude.  :)

Seriously ... I've been through 17 pages of cases at NewEgg (96 items per page), and nothing really seems to meet my criteria.  The only thing left to do is change the criteria ... or keep searching.

Dunnar likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2017 at 8:15 AM, Jazz said:

Took a look, now that's a case!  Unfortunately everywhere seems out of stock, as if they don't make them anymore!  :o

The successor to the P182 is the P280. Same gun metal colour too. It's probably what i'd buy tomorrow if i was in the market. But, part of the point is, that my P182 case has lasted me a dozen years and will probably do nicely for the next PC too.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-performance-one-p280-gun-metal-black-performance-mid-tower-case-xl-atx-with-usb-30-w-o-psu?gclid=CjwKCAiAu4nRBRBKEiwANms5W_uc0A0bkI7vZI_ljRCt72ZwkKe60ASEVG13w1E-SHzNa45eQCFYtxoCGwAQAvD_BwE

Edited by Pasanda
Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wolphard said:

Since you're willing to spend $100+ on a case, wouldn't the easier solution be to get a 3.5" hot-swap bay for $15-20? Would make more sense economically than spending hour after hour searching for that one perfect case.

Not sure what you're getting at.  I already have a hot swap bay.  And it fits in one of the 5.25" external bays.

1 hour ago, Pasanda said:

The successor to the P182 is the P280. Same gun metal colour too. It's probably what i'd buy tomorrow if i was in the market. But, part of the point is, that my P182 case has lasted me a dozen years and will probably do nicely for the next PC too.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-performance-one-p280-gun-metal-black-performance-mid-tower-case-xl-atx-with-usb-30-w-o-psu?gclid=CjwKCAiAu4nRBRBKEiwANms5W_uc0A0bkI7vZI_ljRCt72ZwkKe60ASEVG13w1E-SHzNa45eQCFYtxoCGwAQAvD_BwE

Nice case, although the power button is on the top and may be hard to reach.  Unfortunately, also not available in the US except for $260+ through an Amazon third-party retailer.  Although, now that I look at it closer, the Antec P100 looks like a nice case; the ports and power buttons are still higher than I'd like, but it appears to meet my other criteria.

Edited by Elovia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a reminder picture of my setup.  You can see why I'm somewhat particular on new case selection ... that is, if I end up finding a suitable replacement.  The case on the left is the P182 (brushed metal grey - kind of like a brushed stainless steel), and the case on the right is a P180 (silver - although it looks metallic white).  As you can see, from my desk type and PLP monitor setup, I don't really have much choice where the cases sit.  The desk leg well is also fairly full; I have a trash bin on the left, a paper shredder on the right, and an ottoman in the center (along with the subwoofer and UPS battery backup).  Again, pardon the number of dragon statues; those were gifts from relatives (dunno why - I must exude a dragon vibe, although I do like slaying virtual dragons ;) ).  And yes, that is a shark with a frikin' laser beam on the center speaker.

20171202_142719.jpg.db118a00d411d3541876b81c8a16c2c9.jpg

Edited by Elovia
Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Elovia said:

Here is a reminder picture of my setup.  You can see why I'm somewhat particular on new case selection ... that is, if I end up finding a suitable replacement.  The case on the left is the P182 (brushed metal grey - kind of like a brushed stainless steel), and the case on the right is a P180 (silver - although it looks metallic white).  As you can see, from my desk type and PLP monitor setup, I don't really have much choice where the cases sit.  The desk leg well is also fairly full; I have a trash bin on the left, a paper shredder on the right, and an ottoman in the center (along with the subwoofer and UPS battery backup).  Again, pardon the number of dragon statues; those were gifts from relatives (dunno why - I must exude a dragon vibe, although I do like slaying virtual dragons ;) ).  And yes, that is a shark with a frikin' laser beam on the center speaker.

20171202_142719.jpg.db118a00d411d3541876b81c8a16c2c9.jpg

If you don't want those dragons I'll give them a home... ;)

Elovia likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jazz said:

If you don't want those dragons I'll give them a home... ;)

Good to know.  I'll keep that in mind if they start to overrun the joint. ;)

Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Elovia said:

Good to know.  I'll keep that in mind if they start to overrun the joint. ;)

He's been moaning and deflecting responsiblity around those Dragons for YEARS. Yet they're stiiiiill there.

 

No one believes you any more, and it's OK to be a kid.

Elovia likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0