Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Article: Modern Prices, Masters Sets, and Reprint Equity

4 posts in this topic

Saw this article over at MTG Goldfish and thought it was pretty interesting.  Be sure to go over and check it out, it's a good read.  

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/modern-prices-masters-sets-and-reprint-equity

JesGolbez likes this

On 11/20/2017 at 10:20 PM, ChuckWagonMTG said:

Essentially, that's what these sets were meant to do. Make the other formats more accessible to newer players. Even as someone who makes a living off of card sales, I am glad to see this and that it's working, albeit slowly and not where it really counts.

Honestly I was a little surprised how much of a difference it's making.  But like you said, even more needs to be done.  

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

I saw this article and responded to Saffron on twitter with my thoughts as well.

In terms of cost, I have no problem that the T1 modern decks are ~$800.  My T2/3 deck is $500 so I think that's about the right price jump to make it T1/2.

Modern is not a changing format, it includes many cards over many years and many sets. If a unique good card from a set long long ago is one of the top cards in modern its price should reflect that. I am against reprinting it for reprinting sake. Since Modern does not change often, once can make the investment into a modern deck and only have it change slightly over the years due to Bans, New Unique cards, New Brews. Modern is a wonderful collection of decks across all aspects of the game.

By reprinting cards in a modern only reprint, they are just limiting the creativity of modern in general. Here are your goyfs and Deaths Shadows.. now go play those decks. However they miss on the other parts of the deck making those parts more expensive. And since the people now have their goyfs they are compelled to buy the remaining pieces otherwise they are wasting their pretty new goyf they got.

Don't take that I'm totally against reprints, I would just like them to come in the normal sets or bring back a CORE set rather then a "Masters" set. The "Masters" set usually comes down to the 10-15 best reprints then a bunch of junk cards which are never played.