Lasraik

Made the mistake of checking Twitter last night...

44 posts in this topic

Papa Mage here - I've spent a lot of time going through all of this nonsense, not because I want to, but as a filter or shield for Rhino. I hate to say it, but at the moment Twitter is a necessary component to the marketing of Young Mage content to the MTG community. That is changing. After spending over an hour muting tweets on Rhino's feed on Friday, I gave up and just told him we would do this together. Fortunately none of this really affects us, so ignoring it works for us. It is also fortunate that it didn't affect the Epilepsy Foundation Fundraiser we had been working on for a couple of months.

I'm an information hog at heart, which is why I'm so horrible in arguments face-to-face. I actually want to understand everyone's point of view. So this is part of what I dug up trying to understand.

An Interesting Correlation I Found - Keep in mind this is a correlation and not a causation. But it could explain why tempers are high and the muck flinging is strong. If you look at the major MTG YouTubers Pateron trends on Grapheon it shows the ones flinging muck have had a steady downward turn.

5a1de65cbc55c_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_40_47PM.thumb.png.3bf7a1921eec6f4bf8dc2b428d0876f3.png5a1de65f156b5_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_40_27PM.thumb.png.757b7efbc0032ca1f05dbbd308e85f73.png5a1de660d66e4_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_40_05PM.thumb.png.119f44779584bf16c7c07ff8c24d3254.png 

One could assume that this is just normal right now. Standard hasn't been strong, so not as many viewers, not as much money.

If you look at the YouTubers not involved you see a steady upward trend:

5a1de7ecd6270_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_48_43PM.thumb.png.0961b46cd7442b8e53ae7a963dfb9a23.png5a1de7eff3e69_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_48_10PM.thumb.png.dd045055ae7499930357c0babd72500b.png5a1de7f213d2c_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_47_47PM.thumb.png.7c59da0e2096d81a460d38051b142a07.png

So maybe the ones with an upward trend are providing better and more useful content. That would seem reasonable. A limited audience, does also mean limited resources and limited funds for Patreon overall.

And then there's this one: Christine Sprankle. If you just look at the trend before Friday it was going down as well. Financial stress on Christine's part could be the primary catalyst for her leaving. The harassment could have been an excuse. That still doesn't mean that Jeremy should keep doing his mean rants. But he knows that drama gets clicks and that's how he makes money. Opening packs on video just doesn't do it for him anymore.

5a1de71b25892_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_41_20PM.thumb.png.70221a127239505e9f34d67ebf8eba20.png

So the correlation I want to put out is the ones in the drama have had a steady downturn of funding over the past 6 months. This may not be the cause, but I do know that in any family, if there is financial stress, tempers do rise. These are just the most vocal MTG YouTubers and have the most followers.

Lasraik and Abaddon like this

I'll go out on a limb here and say Boogie is one of the most admirable people on Youtube specifically because he's not a raging blow-hard like most people. I absolutely appreciate his measured, non-emotional outlook on things and absolutely aspire to it, as it is pretty much in line with the way I tend to look at these things.

Of course, his reasoning is different from mine. He frequently says he doesn't like to pick sides because he doesn't want to offend people, whereas my politics stray towards the nihilistic and taking sides in petty human squabbles is more tedious than its worth, particularly because most people get over it after a few days anyway. :P

Lasraik and Abaddon like this

1 hour ago, Rhino said:

Papa Mage here - I've spent a lot of time going through all of this nonsense, not because I want to, but as a filter or shield for Rhino. I hate to say it, but at the moment Twitter is a necessary component to the marketing of Young Mage content to the MTG community. That is changing. After spending over an hour muting tweets on Rhino's feed on Friday, I gave up and just told him we would do this together. Fortunately none of this really affects us, so ignoring it works for us. It is also fortunate that it didn't affect the Epilepsy Foundation Fundraiser we had been working on for a couple of months.

I'm an information hog at heart, which is why I'm so horrible in arguments face-to-face. I actually want to understand everyone's point of view. So this is part of what I dug up trying to understand.

An Interesting Correlation I Found - Keep in mind this is a correlation and not a causation. But it could explain why tempers are high and the muck flinging is strong. If you look at the major MTG YouTubers Pateron trends on Grapheon it shows the ones flinging muck have had a steady downward turn.

5a1de65cbc55c_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_40_47PM.thumb.png.3bf7a1921eec6f4bf8dc2b428d0876f3.png5a1de65f156b5_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_40_27PM.thumb.png.757b7efbc0032ca1f05dbbd308e85f73.png5a1de660d66e4_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_40_05PM.thumb.png.119f44779584bf16c7c07ff8c24d3254.png 

One could assume that this is just normal right now. Standard hasn't been strong, so not as many viewers, not as much money.

5a1de7ecd6270_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_48_43PM.thumb.png.0961b46cd7442b8e53ae7a963dfb9a23.png5a1de7eff3e69_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_48_10PM.thumb.png.dd045055ae7499930357c0babd72500b.png5a1de7f213d2c_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_47_47PM.thumb.png.7c59da0e2096d81a460d38051b142a07.png

So maybe the ones with an upward trend are providing better and more useful content. That would seem reasonable. A limited audience, does also mean limited resources and limited funds for Patreon overall.

And then there's this one: Christine Sprankle. If you just look at the trend before Friday it was going down as well. Financial stress on Christine's part could be the primary catalyst for her leaving. The harassment could have been an excuse. That still doesn't mean that Jeremy should keep doing his mean rants. But he knows that drama gets clicks and that's how he makes money. Opening packs on video just doesn't do it for him anymore.

5a1de71b25892_ScreenShot2017-11-28at5_41_20PM.thumb.png.70221a127239505e9f34d67ebf8eba20.png

So the correlation I want to put out is the ones in the drama have had a steady downturn of funding over the past 6 months. This may not be the cause, but I do know that in any family, if there is financial stress, tempers do rise. These are just the most vocal MTG YouTubers and have the most followers.

That's really interesting.  Didn't even think to check into that.

From the mothership: Taking Action on Harassment and Bullying

11 hours ago, Rhino said:

These graphs are really interesting, especially how pretty much every single one has regular dips around the end of one month and beginning of another. i don't use Patreon at all so this might be a stupid question, but is there something about the way it works that means people are more likely to lose backers at those points?

Lasraik likes this

2 hours ago, rainman said:

These graphs are really interesting, especially how pretty much every single one has regular dips around the end of one month and beginning of another. i don't use Patreon at all so this might be a stupid question, but is there something about the way it works that means people are more likely to lose backers at those points?

Well, I believe Patreon charges its pledges on the 1st of every month, so I would assume the dip is from people canceling their pledges when they are about to be charged, in addition to people deciding to cancel after being charged 1 final time.

Lasraik likes this

1 hour ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Well, I believe Patreon charges its pledges on the 1st of every month, so I would assume the dip is from people canceling their pledges when they are about to be charged, in addition to people deciding to cancel after being charged 1 final time.

That's correct. Generally if someone is going to cancel a pledge, it's right before the 1st.

Here's what happened, from DesolaterMagic's viewpoint: 

Sprankle got hate from all sides, and decided to stop cosplaying. However, since she had been in a recent argument with Jeremy, she decided to blame him. 

I know I'm a staunch supporter of Jeremy, and still am. I haven't been too involved with MtG's community because A: Wizards only cares about Standard and making money, and B: some of their female commentators and big wigs have said "White cis men should get out of Magic." Ok. You're alienating (being generous here) 70% of your playerbase. What about my best friend, who got me into Magic, and just so happens to be white, cis, but gay? Will Wizards take the SJW approach and say yes? Or will they go with their commentators and say no? What about me? I'm half-hispanic, half-white, cis, and a male. What about most of my friends who play Magic? What about the people I have come to know? What about the many shop owners that happen to be male, cis, and white, specifically the one I go to the most? He just got married, and that shop is his livelihood.

I have gotten out of Magic besides using the general story for DnD and commander. This community is toxic to most people on all sides. If you all remember, I was banned from the MtG subreddit for defending Jeremy. That's why I came here. And you guys are actually really cool! 

I know I don't post a lot, but this is something I feel is important to be said. It could have been Jeremy's fanbase. There are lots of trolls. I don't deny that. But I say, see the other side. See the people who actually enjoy his content and don't enjoy Wizard's SJW direction. See people like me. 

MTGMTB

Abaddon likes this

I hear this "WOTC is too poltical" argument all the time but I really don't see it. Maybe it's because I'm less emotionally-involved in politics than most people but I don't really see how the game has been affected.

I mean yes, I hear people lamenting how much the game has been ruined by this or that, but from the outside looking in it always feels like these people are just being melodramatic, often times for clicks and karma points.

Abaddon likes this

On 11/30/2017 at 3:41 PM, Affinity for MTG said:

I hear this "WOTC is too poltical" argument all the time but I really don't see it. Maybe it's because I'm less emotionally-involved in politics than most people but I don't really see how the game has been affected.

I mean yes, I hear people lamenting how much the game has been ruined by this or that, but from the outside looking in it always feels like these people are just being melodramatic, often times for clicks and karma points.

I think when people say "WOTC is too political" it's speaking (for me anyway) to the people and creators they choose to represent them.   They are all in the same circle of friends and have similar view points that they aren't shy about sharing.

But again, if I wasn't on Twitter or keeping up with the b.s. that goes on and instead just playing the game I wouldn't have any idea about most of their views.

Abaddon and Rhino like this

Checked on a few other forums and sites and found that the conversations got out hand pretty quickly and/or every other post has a mod warning/banning on them. 

Happy we can have a civil conversation and disagree without flaming or insulting each other.  B)

King of Jank likes this

On 11/28/2017 at 0:37 PM, JesGolbez said:

Yeah, when Eric Froelich, the saltiest of all pros, wants to form a 'committee' (aka Thought Police Lynch Mob), the alarm bells go off.

The 'committee' idea is a bit terrifying, especially because in his post he suggested some pretty bias people in terms of decision making.

5 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Checked on a few other forums and sites and found that the conversations got out hand pretty quickly and/or every other post has a mod warning/banning on them. 

Happy we can have a civil conversation and disagree without flaming or insulting each other.  B)

Agreed. This side is a glowing hidden gem of the online MTG community.

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

On 12/3/2017 at 8:55 PM, Lasraik said:

I think when people say "WOTC is too political" it's speaking (for me anyway) to the people and creators they choose to represent them.   They are all in the same circle of friends and have similar view points that they aren't shy about sharing.

But again, if I wasn't on Twitter or keeping up with the b.s. that goes on and instead just playing the game I wouldn't have any idea about most of their views.

I think they choose to represent me. Does that mean I'm part of the WotC too political?

35 minutes ago, Rhino said:

I think they choose to represent me. Does that mean I'm part of the WotC too political?

No, I was speaking in more of a general sense and why some people would get that impression

Abaddon likes this