Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

Favourite travel snaps

30 posts in this topic

Please share photos of the favourite places you've been. They don't need to be beautiful; just to have meaning to you.

7 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

They don't look like they were taken with a phone. Too good really...

Thanks.

I'm not a photographer.  However, in anticipation of this trip, I investigated getting a real camera and learning how to use it.  I ultimately came to the conclusion that it was too much of an expense, both time and money.  I'm not an artist type that is going to get the best pics anyway.  Plus a good chunk of photography is the post editing.    I just want something simple that takes good pics and a waterproof cell phone does the trick.

Edited by Dunnar

They do say most of the art of a good photo is in the person holding the camera.

Edited by Pasanda
Dunnar likes this

Now you got me reminiscing ... one more, as it was probably the highlight of the trip.  Hike to the top of Mt Washburn.

20160530_145937.jpg

20160530_153008.jpg

20160530_153917.jpg

On 29/11/2017 at 6:51 PM, Wolphard said:

The 2003 trip with my g/f, currently my wife, to Scotland. Plenty beautiful places. Hadrian's Wall  & Loch Ness made me ecstatic.

Scotland2003_0139.thumb.JPG.77f030d5d80ca7bce1c26a4a3f5c04e0.JPG

The 2013 trip to Alpe d'Huez.

5a1f01536d424_2013-06-0411_10_19.thumb.jpg.d10217e9434ccc45d6e9d7dd6f7c7fb9.jpg

Only just read this now. I've been to Alpe D'huez too! What a coincidence. I don't recognise the piccie, but it was all kinda white. We were skiing. One of the lesser know of the Trois Vallees IIRC.

Lasraik likes this

Just went to Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks.  Not sure what was more impressive, the towering granite cliffs of Yosemite or the massive sequoia trees that dot the landscape.

20180521_094541.thumb.jpg.410030f07d8243e2fa151911e26876fc.jpg20180522_102121.thumb.jpg.5a5c349190cae509ebed4dd266088ed4.jpg20180522_110848.thumb.jpg.c57d65e2b21057d5314441786a111bb6.jpg20180522_111619.thumb.jpg.7cb7b5a194106068780a4917e8f79dea.jpg20180522_120638.thumb.jpg.2f476b6b05563f6031882ad5ac2752af.jpg20180524_120115.thumb.jpg.dfc7945da1758d96382bc7849a197251.jpg20180524_121546.thumb.jpg.15eb9e8e934335060ecaa9ccd75ef168.jpg20180525_132945.thumb.jpg.7ca24be574d2cba73e00effd6a28caaf.jpg

Pasanda likes this

On 25-1-2018 at 1:36 PM, Pasanda said:

Only just read this now. I've been to Alpe D'huez too! What a coincidence. I don't recognise the piccie, but it was all kinda white. We were skiing. One of the lesser know of the Trois Vallees IIRC.

Aye, this was in June 2013. For the Alpe d’HuZes fundraiser. I had a look at Google Maps, and I think our hotel was in the corner on Rue du Poutat, looking down in the direction of Pharmacy des Jeux.

Did you also have a meal at that odd pirate burger restaurant?:) Smithy’s Tavern I think it was. 

Edited by Wolphard

11 hours ago, Dunnar said:

20180524_120115.thumb.jpg.dfc7945da1758d96382bc7849a197251.jpg

IKEA would love to get their hands on those!

19 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Not sure what was more impressive, the towering granite cliffs of Yosemite or the massive sequoia trees that dot the landscape.

Fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing. For me it's trees every time. Mountains are truly impressive and majestic. But they lack the vulnerability of trees.

Photos like this make me cry, and ashamed to be a human being. They couldn't do that to a mountain as a result of a bar-room bet.

fieldbrook-stump-ericson-collection-humboldt-state-university-v2.jpg

Went camping last weekend. It's become a bit of a tradition. Me and Fin, my mate and his two boys. We go to a campsite called Carreglwyd, in Port Eynon, which is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, called the Gower Peninsula, in Wales. The campsite is perfectly situated, being about 20 meters from sandy beaches, containing excellent rock-pools and surf, which is perfectly sized for body-boarding. My mate bought his tent along for it's first outing. It's one of those fancy-schmancy pump-up ones, with air-filled ribs for support. There's also a great pub nearby, which had live music both nights we happened to visit.

The highlight was harvesting and cooking our own mussels, using just what we'd bought with us to make a meal (shallots, cider and butter). It tasted amazing, having left the sea an hour before eating.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L4hgN8uSWUq29YK02

20180526_093304_HDR.thumb.jpg.cfec0145b0982ceb070281e462110c17.jpg

Edited by Pasanda
Dunnar likes this

4 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

Fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing. For me it's trees every time. Mountains are truly impressive and majestic. But they lack the vulnerability of trees.

Photos like this make me cry, and ashamed to be a human being. They couldn't do that to a mountain as a result of a bar-room bet.

The granite cliffs are solid pieces.  And while impressive and beautiful, deep down I agree ... the Giant Forest was incredible and left a lifelong impression on me.  Its part of the reason I take my children to these places, so they can see and experience the sites and life of our planet.  And partly before they are gone ... because who knows.

They believe there were larger trees in existence that were taken down prior to it becoming a park.  I cannot comprehend cutting down one of these trees.  For what reason?  What purpose?  Some are as old as 3000 years.  Its like seeing an animal in nature.  I cannot fathom seeing a beautiful creature, only to shoot it and hang it on my wall.  You have now taken it upon yourself to take that experience away from every other person that would encounter it from here on out.

Pasanda likes this

I don't believe that charade for one bit. It's just rich folks who want to kill animals because it makes them feel powerful. If you truly care about conservation, donate money and come over to take pictures with living animals.

5 minutes ago, Wolphard said:

I don't believe that charade for one bit. It's just rich folks who want to kill animals because it makes them feel powerful. If you truly care about conservation, donate money and come over to take pictures with living animals.

I agree 1000% ... its like we're political twins!

Please hit refresh and have a looksy at my new post in the politics thread. TYVM. :D

1 hour ago, Wolphard said:

Where I live hunting is food on the table for some people.  Hunting is a pastime accessible by all and has a relatively low barrier of entry.  In the US almost all "trophy" hunting happens on private preserves where the creatures are raised for that purpose only.  A lot of hunters I know are very concerned about preservation.  The ones causing the problems are the poor redneck a holes with no respect for anything.

Elovia likes this

I hunt for food and take no pleasure in the act of killing. After an animal is killed, I respect its sacrifice and treat it with dignity by utilizing the whole animal to the greatest extent, recover all salvagable meat, and leave the remains in a condition to benefit other wildland creatures. To do any less would be disrespectful to my natural surroundings and the heritage of our hunting culture.

There is a huge difference between hunting, where the target animal has a sporting chance to survive, and killing where it doesn't.

/soapbox off

Boag likes this

Ofcourse. I worked on a farm. And even though we never saw eye to eye on hunting foxes, I totally got him being upset about his chicken den being ravaged. And eating a shot pheasant or hare is great. Also because you know they had a much better life than the pigs & cows we slaughtered. I had a colleague too who was a hunter. With the amount of traffic here his reasons to go hunting deer from time to time were defensible. Those deer also were eaten.

But the article is about a guy who makes money by either shooting animals himself, or allowing others to do so, just for the thrill of killing something magnificent. To put insult to injury they then chop off its head and mount it on a plaque. Folk like that are cunts.

Don't want to make a blanket statement.  Hunting to control populations is much different than hunting for "sport"

If we are talking deer, or some other species that is over populated in an area because farmers, ranchers and other hunters have killed off the main predatory species ... I agree.

Hunting grizzly bear is not needed.  Neither are big cats, wolves, or other predatory animals that are on the verge of extinction.  Putting food on a table and a trophy on a mantle are 2 different things.

I kill skunks when ever I can.  I just trapped and killed one last Saturday.  No ethical conflicts for me.

And no I did not eat it.

Edited by Jag

7 hours ago, Jag said:

No ethical conflicts for me.

We wouldn't expect them from you. :D