Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

Where would you like to go?

34 posts in this topic

Dreams, ambitions, fantasy destinations.

Where have you always wanted to go and why?

Edited by Pasanda

I'll start. 

India - I've been wanting to go to India for 20+ years. I have been to Sri Lanka and really enjoyed the culture, food and lovely people. I think i would equally enjoy India. Also, cause curry is my favourite food.

Australia - I wouldn't mind doing an RV tour of somewhere like Oz, with long dusty roads. I quite like the potential solitude and access to nature. I also understand there are some beautiful places to visit, especially down the west coast.

Train journey - For the last several years, i've really quite liked the idea of a long train journey, say 5-8 days, with a few stop-offs. I like the idea of sleeping and eating on the train. It has a certain romanticism. There aren't that many train journeys that take that long. I think Trans-siberian does, and possibly one across Africa, but only because it goes very slowly.

Edited by Pasanda

South Africa - I am thinking about going in 2020.  I want to see Cape Town.  I want to go on a Safari, not with a big group of people, but just my family and a guide.  I want to go in a shark tank and see a great white.

Serengeti - some day, I am going to get there.

Rome and Italy - no explanation needed

Greece - again, no explanation needed

I work with a lot of people from India and with people who are located in India.  I am pushing my management to go on a 'business' trip there.

Lasraik likes this

57 minutes ago, Jag said:

New Zealand.

Spent 3 weeks there a long time ago.

My favourite place on Earth.

...and that was well before LOTR movies.

I wanna go back.

I wanna live there, but my wife won't let me.

Jag and Dunnar like this

3 hours ago, Wolphard said:
  • Northern tip of Sweden/Norway, to see Aurora Borealis

That's on my list of things to see too. Maybe not at that location.

They're interesting to observe, but not necessarily dependable or predictable for viewing. The best time is in the dead of winter, on a cold clear night, when solar activity is high, and away from urban light pollution.  The playful dance of colors can be (and are) inspiring.

I'm spoiled in that I rarely give them a passing glance anymore, but I do subconsciously miss them from the night sky when visiting out of state. "Besides it being both warm and dark at the same time, something else is amiss ... "

Edited by Elovia

3 hours ago, Wolphard said:
  •  
  • A road trip through the US and/or Canada
  •  

One of the few things that actually lives up to its reputation, in my opinion. I reckon you need a certain non-presumptuous character to make it work it Canada though. Americans are quite a lot more easy-going.

Lasraik likes this

What is it about Greece that draws you in? Just the ancient history, or something else? Is it the lady'z with the dense moustaches?

4 hours ago, Pasanda said:

What is it about Greece that draws you in? Just the ancient history, or something else? Is it the lady'z with the dense moustaches?

all of the above.

hairy-kim-kardashian-76715.jpg

I am genuinely curious.

Hairy woman?

Augmented man?

Shopped?

Would you (given you have a status that permits it)?

Edited by Pasanda

Well, if you can see it as an obviously beautiful woman, with all the bits in the right places and just a bit of a body-hair problem, surely that's not so bad?

The miniature liberal in me says, "you're a sexist pig if you wouldn't."

:huh::P

Me? I'm a sexist pig.

:o

Edited by Elovia

I made a "bucket" list:

France
South Africa - Cape Town, shark dive, Kruger
Italy
Chile - Torres del Paine National Park - challenge due to length of country
Tanzania - Serengeti, Zanzibar
Greece
Japan
Netherlands/Belgium - Beer with Wolphard
Yellowstone/Glacier (again) - going to sun road, Highline trail
New Zealand - Fiordland National Park
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
Alaska - interesting challenge as the distances from place to place are massive.
Norway / Sweden - Aurora Borealis
Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches
Banff National Park - Canada
Madagascar - baobab trees
Iceland / GBR - Beer with Pasanda
Spain
Portugal
Austria/Czechia/Slovakia
Germany
China
Hungry
Turkey
Mt Rainier / Olympic
Edited by Dunnar
Pasanda likes this

You can fly direct from Cardiff to Iceland :lol: Cheap too! I can be your layover (ooer missus).

You can find Baobab trees (one of my favourites too - like a cedar with elephantitis) in Africa too. So unless you wanted to go to Madagascar for other reasons (of which there are stacks), you can cross it off your list, which already has 2 other African countries on it.

Dunnar likes this

4 minutes ago, Jag said:

Man I love being at home so damn much.  When I think about where I want to go, its just home.

Nothing wrong with that.  I have friends that have no desire to travel.  Others that have would rather have a nice car and see no point in going on vacation.  Its all good.

I love my home, love where I live ... but man, when I think about my passions and what I want my life to be, I want to see the world and have new experiences.

I was envisioning some sort of GBR, Ireland, Iceland trip.  Maybe 3 separate trips, who knows.  Hopefully someday :)

As far as Madagascar, its the trees ... but its more than the trees.  Just the richness of life and the uniqueness of it all that intrigues me.

Saying you don't want to travel, after having experienced it, is just dandy. Stating that without ever having done so is more akin to ignorance or fear, and should be taken into the parking lot and executed.

Something you may not be aware of, is that Americans have a reputation, with folks outside the US, as a nation of stay-homers; for not wanting to travel or experience the world. Clearly a wild generalisation, but it's there. I cannot say if there is any truth in it.

3 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Saying you don't want to travel, after having experienced it, is just dandy. Stating that without ever having done so is more akin to ignorance or fear, and should be taken into the parking lot and executed.

Something you may not be aware of, is that Americans have a reputation, with folks outside the US, as a nation of stay-homers; for not wanting to travel or experience the world. Clearly a wild generalisation, but it's there. I cannot say if there is any truth in it.

I would say a vast part of it is economics and size.  America is huge and has so many different places.  Yellowstone, Everglades, Olympia are completely different as is every national park, for which we have many.  And the cities, Seattle is different from Chicago is different from New Orleans.  I can take a 5 hour plane flight and land in the US.  No European country can do that except for Russia.  Hell, you and Wolph can get in a car, drive 5 hours and enter a half dozen countries.

I can fly anywhere in North America for under $400.  LA, Jamaica, Toronto, NY, Bahamas, Vegas, Puerto Vallarta.  To leave the continent is over $1000.  Economically, it doesn't make much sense to leave unless you really want to go somewhere special.  So the reputation makes sense economically and logistically.

What does a ticket cost for you to come here?

Edit:  The other thing ... to fly over somewhere other than North America is a long flight.  Plus, unless you are a teacher, you do not get a month off from work.  I am fortunate that I have a good job that is very flexible.  Yet the longest I have ever taken off work is 2 weeks ... and I would feel funny taking more than that.  Also, I would venture to say that a lot of people don't even get more than 2 weeks vacation.

Edited by Dunnar