Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

Where would you like to go?

34 posts in this topic

For comparison purposes ... I picked Friday April 8 for a week, Cleveland to London.  Best option was 582 Pounds, 653 Euros (even did the conversion for ya, $810).  Travel time was close to 10 hours.  So with a weeks vacation you just lopped off 2 days for travel.

When you take everything into account, I would say our reputation makes sense and is well founded.

6 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Saying you don't want to travel, after having experienced it, is just dandy. Stating that without ever having done so is more akin to ignorance or fear, and should be taken into the parking lot and executed.

Something you may not be aware of, is that Americans have a reputation, with folks outside the US, as a nation of stay-homers; for not wanting to travel or experience the world. Clearly a wild generalization, but it's there. I cannot say if there is any truth in it.

I have traveled to Mexico, and several places around the US.  I honestly have never had any sort of wanderlust.  Maybe its my expectations, maybe its life tragedy.  I don't know, traveling is "fun", and experiencing other cultures is, educational, but certainly not life changing, at least for me.  I get that for a lot of people, "being there" is a magical experience.  A high that people continue to chase, because every moment in life, no matter how significant is immediately thereafter dulled by the mundane atrocities of human life.

Maybe it is because the US itself has such a wide mix of subcultures already present.  Just traveling a state or two over and you find drastically different foods, entertainment, and landscapes.  I don't need to travel the world, because the world comes to me.  I interacted with people from over 20 countries last summer.  Learned a bit of their language (hello or goodbye) asked them questions, learned about medicine.  It is a lot of fun, fun I don't need to travel for.

My wife is the opposite...I imagine in our later years she is going to drag me all over the world despite my protests.  HAHA

Edited by Jag

I am a recluse by nature, but love to travel to historical places.  Have been to a few:  Honduras for the Mayan ruins, Romania for Count Dracula's castle, Vienna for the palace, Vietnam for the wife.  But would still like to see Rome, Paris, Egypt, Greece, London just to name a few.  Did all my travelling before getting married, now doubt I will do much more outside of the US.  Just cost too much for a family of 4.

1 hour ago, Wolphard said:

That's a gross underestimation of Europe's size. :huh:

I live 20 mins from the German border. Denmark would be the closest country after that, and I wouldn't be near it. Would I drive south, in 5 hours I would be in Belgium. Just.

I was pulling numbers out of my ass.  However, what I said wasn't that egregious.

https://goo.gl/maps/XQJ6G6DtJj32

5 countries in 6 hours.  I could probably do better.  My point was, you cannot do that kind of international travel from the US.

I will say I didn't realize how large France is ... similar to Texas.

Edit:  This reminded me of something OT, I was looking at future European trips and came up with this:

https://goo.gl/maps/wApwGVCAwFr

Budapest, Vienna, Prague, Munich, Zurich ... That would be a blast!

Edited by Dunnar

On 3/6/2018 at 0:49 PM, Dunnar said:

I would say a vast part of it is economics and size.  America is huge and has so many different places.  Yellowstone, Everglades, Olympia are completely different as is every national park, for which we have many.  And the cities, Seattle is different from Chicago is different from New Orleans.  I can take a 5 hour plane flight and land in the US.  No European country can do that except for Russia.  Hell, you and Wolph can get in a car, drive 5 hours and enter a half dozen countries.

I can fly anywhere in North America for under $400.  LA, Jamaica, Toronto, NY, Bahamas, Vegas, Puerto Vallarta.  To leave the continent is over $1000.  Economically, it doesn't make much sense to leave unless you really want to go somewhere special.  So the reputation makes sense economically and logistically.

What does a ticket cost for you to come here?

Edit:  The other thing ... to fly over somewhere other than North America is a long flight.  Plus, unless you are a teacher, you do not get a month off from work.  I am fortunate that I have a good job that is very flexible.  Yet the longest I have ever taken off work is 2 weeks ... and I would feel funny taking more than that.  Also, I would venture to say that a lot of people don't even get more than 2 weeks vacation.

The US is tiny when compared to the Earth. Ignoring the 70+% covered by water, to restrict oneself to less than 10% of the land mass of our planet claiming 10% is big enough... Well that's your decision of course. Just don't forget there's 90% of the most amazing land, people and cultures out there to see.

Edited by Pasanda

Staying home has a smaller carbon footprint than vacationing abroad.  Way to look out for the planet, Pas.  At least when you vacation, you can see first hand the places that you will destroy due to your self indulgence.   <_<  :D

I understand the desire to occasionally get away from that little, tiny island that you call home.  If I lived there, I would too.  B)

Edited by Elovia

16 hours ago, Wolphard said:

and the Jazz Festival.

They have a festival just for me? Aww!

11 hours ago, Elovia said:

Staying home has a smaller carbon footprint than vacationing abroad.  Way to look out for the planet, Pas.  At least when you vacation, you can see first hand the places that you will destroy due to your self indulgence.   <_<  :D

I understand the desire to occasionally get away from that little, tiny island that you call home.  If I lived there, I would too.  B)

Because the US and its people are so ecologically-minded right?

I would argue that travelling HELPS to reduce ones carbon footprint overall, by increasing your awareness of the planets issues. 

But you knew i'd say that.