Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Friday Top 5: Etiquette Tips for New Players

4 posts in this topic

Comments on the video 6:

1. Agreed.. Dont damage cards

2. Agreed.. Dont break sleeves

3. I have no problem with assassin decks. People should have answers to other peoples answers. Thats how they learn. It is a teaching moment.

4. Agreed.. Dont be a jerk.

5. Agreed.. Dont needlessly touch things.

6. See #3.

As for my 5:

1. Dont Damage anything (cards, sleeves, tables, chairs,..)

2. Dont eat at the card table. Pizza/Fast Food and cardboard are not friends even though it arrives in it. Drinks with Lids are OK but not Fast Food with straws (it can still spill)

3. Be mindful of your space. You should be able fit all of your stuff in a playmat or within 3" of a edge (size of a deckbox) of a playmat. Dont take up half the table with your seven boxes and two bags of dice or your backpack.

4. Listen to the organizers. When they call table locations or that pairings are up, go and check them out. Not doing so is a huge waste of time.

5. Be ready to play. Once you have your deck/playmat/dice/life sheet/etc.. out and ready, then start the conversation about "Roll to see who goes first?".. dont just sit and shuffle waiting for someone to make a move. You are there for a social game, be social (this coming from a wicked shy nerdy guy who talks to noone)

Lasraik likes this

5 hours ago, TheCandyMan said:

Comments on the video 6:

1. Agreed.. Dont damage cards

2. Agreed.. Dont break sleeves

3. I have no problem with assassin decks. People should have answers to other peoples answers. Thats how they learn. It is a teaching moment.

4. Agreed.. Dont be a jerk.

5. Agreed.. Dont needlessly touch things.

6. See #3.

As for my 5:

1. Dont Damage anything (cards, sleeves, tables, chairs,..)

2. Dont eat at the card table. Pizza/Fast Food and cardboard are not friends even though it arrives in it. Drinks with Lids are OK but not Fast Food with straws (it can still spill)

3. Be mindful of your space. You should be able fit all of your stuff in a playmat or within 3" of a edge (size of a deckbox) of a playmat. Dont take up half the table with your seven boxes and two bags of dice or your backpack.

4. Listen to the organizers. When they call table locations or that pairings are up, go and check them out. Not doing so is a huge waste of time.

5. Be ready to play. Once you have your deck/playmat/dice/life sheet/etc.. out and ready, then start the conversation about "Roll to see who goes first?".. dont just sit and shuffle waiting for someone to make a move. You are there for a social game, be social (this coming from a wicked shy nerdy guy who talks to noone)

These are both great. I would say

1. Come prepared ~ Both with supplies and some knowledge of the cards. If it's a pre-release, look over the cards, or at least the mechanics of the set before you go.

2. All food/drink must be containable ~ Sealable lids on drinks and please don't eat chili cheese fries while playing.

3 Proper Hygiene ~ Shower! And if you don't have time for that, deoderant can do wonders. And if you go out to your car between matches to "think", Fabreze please. 

4. Leave the Attitude at home ~ I know some people are naturally salty. Don't care. If it's that uncontrollable, now is a good time to look at where you are in life

5. Don't damage anything that isn't yours ~ I know it's in the two above, but this shouldn't even have to be said (but it does). I've had players grab a card of mine to read it and toss it back to me. No Bueno. Respect goes a long way.

Lasraik and TheCandyMan like this

Some really great tips.  I've only played at an LGS a handful of times, but mine would be:

1.) Ask questions, but not too many.  It's OK to ask questions but depending on your opponent you don't want to be stopping play every turn to ask about card interactions or what they had for breakfast.  Don't interrupt the flow of play too often if you can help it, wait until between rounds or after to have conversations.

2.) Know your cards and deck.  Be familiar with the cards you're playing with and their interactions, don't depend on your opponent to stop you from making mistakes.  

3.) Don't be salty.  If you get your butt kicked in a game, congratulate your opponent and learn from the experience.

4.) Respect other peoples cards and property.  If you need clarification on a card, ask your opponent to clarify, don't just start picking their cards or whatever they have on the table up and look at it.

5.) Cleanliness is next to godliness.  

TheCandyMan and ChuckWagonMTG like this