Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity for MTG

Jeremy and Twoo DCI-Banned

14 posts in this topic

In case you haven't heard, Jeremy aka MTG Headquarters aka Unsleeved Media has been permanently DCI banned after the recent drama that I'm sure we all know about by now.
 

 

 

 

More surprisingly, to me anyway, is the fact that Travis Woo received a 12-month ban for his "Magic for Bad" group. He seemed to be genuinely trying to do the right thing to me, but at least it's only temporary.

 

 

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for the ban on Jeremy.

His descent into the toxic spiral was sickening to watch but not as sickening as his constant attacks on other people in the online community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant say Im surprised with either of the bans.  The Jeremy thing spiraled out of control and he's only made it worse with his responses.  He could have issued an apology and avoided a lot of this mess.  

I stopped watching Travis Woo's content a while back because he embraced the shit posting persona and bragged about his Facebook groups and what services he could sell you to not be a "noob".  When you embrace a persona like that it will eventually come back to bite you.  

A year is a bit much for what someone else was posting.  I do give him credit for taking responsibility.

The worst part about these bans is the precedent it sets.  If someone posts something on these forums wotc doesnt like does that mean my DCI will be banned?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lasraik said:

The worst part about these bans is the precedent it sets.  If someone posts something on these forums wotc doesnt like does that mean my DCI will be banned?  

I think the difference is if something on this forum were to get to the point of targeted hate at an individual or talking about which women in MTG are the most bangable, you would shut that down immediately. Travis Woo basically created an area for MTG players to be "Bad" in and then did little to stem the bleeding when it got truly bad, until the group was exposed.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, King of Jank said:

I think the difference is if something on this forum were to get to the point of targeted hate at an individual or talking about which women in MTG are the most bangable, you would shut that down immediately. Travis Woo basically created an area for MTG players to be "Bad" in and then did little to stem the bleeding when it got truly bad, until the group was exposed.

I need mods :unsure:

Aurian likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Travis Woo's group was intended to inspire that sort of content, if that happened here it wouldn't because you created the forums specifically to allow people to post hateful messages. *Shrug*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean is anyone really surprised? Mainly about Jeremy. 

Let's say for argument's sake he didn't personally harass Christine Sprankle. Let's say the tweets and videos he did were just "memes" and "jokes" and "criticism" as he likes to call it. He has to understand that he has a big reach and has lots of followers on twitter and youtube. He gave them the platform to harass her. He made it seem it was ok. A common comparison I've seen is Trump. Trump says a lot of dumb stuff and it gives those people power to keep spreading those dumb things Trump likes to say. Jeremy has power and didn't use it wisely. He is facing the consequences of his actions. This isn't a recent thing with him either it's been ongoing and building up for a few years now.

I just hope we can put this behind us now and move forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the reason I don't consider myself liberal/conservative is because of the rampant hypocrisies with both groups. Conservative MTG players were the ones saying NFL players should be fired for kneeling during the national anthem at football games. NFL players weren't technically doing anything illegal, but "they should be fired for disrespecting the flag" or whatever. Now those same people are arguing that Jeremy didn't technically do anything illegal, and that he shouldn't have been DCI banned.  This seems terribly inconsistent. If NFL players should have been fired, then by all means Jeremy should be banned and that is something you should support. Likewise if you argued in favor of the protests because they weren't technically doing anything illegal, then perhaps the same is true for Jeremy.

Not taking a side with this post, just stating that the blatant hypocrisy of both sides has always annoyed me.

Anyway, apparently a lot of Jeremy's fans are threatening to quit Magic, so now seems like a great time to bring your friends to your LGS. Enjoy the peace and quiet, I say! :)

Lasraik and MTGZuby like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Part of the reason I don't consider myself liberal/conservative is because of the rampant hypocrisies with both groups. Conservative MTG players were the ones saying NFL players should be fired for kneeling during the national anthem at football games. NFL players weren't technically doing anything illegal, but "they should be fired for disrespecting the flag" or whatever. Now those same people are arguing that Jeremy didn't technically do anything illegal, and that he shouldn't have been DCI banned.  This seems terribly inconsistent. If NFL players should have been fired, then by all means Jeremy should be banned and that is something you should support. Likewise if you argued in favor of the protests because they weren't technically doing anything illegal, then perhaps the same is true for Jeremy.

Not taking a side with this post, just stating that the blatant hypocrisy of both sides has always annoyed me.

Anyway, apparently a lot of Jeremy's fans are threatening to quit Magic, so now seems like a great time to bring your friends to your LGS. Enjoy the peace and quiet, I say! :)

Every situation is distorted to fit their perspective, and that goes for both sides as you said.  WotC and other companies like the NFL can run their business as they see fit.  Lots of people threatening to quit now, but in a few weeks most everyone will forget about this nonsense.  Hopefully.

King of Jank likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Anyway, apparently a lot of Jeremy's fans are threatening to quit Magic, so now seems like a great time to bring your friends to your LGS. Enjoy the peace and quiet, I say! :)

...

Wow. 

Just wow. 

This is just insane.

You can't possibly believe that even for a minute, we can't just want Wizards to not be PC and just let us play our favorite card game? 

I was out of Magic months ago in terms of constantly buying cards. Standard had taken a downturn and I was tired of spending money to win. So, I got into commander. I now have a functional deck.

This sets a disturbing precendent: Even outsiders, who don't play MTG looked at it and said "Yeah, Jeremy doesn't deserve this." 

Listen, I get that WoTC is a private company. But when you start banning people with no good proof, it starts setting the precedent of needing to watch what you say when you play Magic. 

This is America. 

We have Freedom of Speech.

People can say what they want.

So let them do that. Let people say what they want. Let us play our game in peace. 

MTGMTB

 

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MTGMTB said:

This sets a disturbing precendent: Even outsiders, who don't play MTG looked at it and said "Yeah, Jeremy doesn't deserve this." 

Listen, I get that WoTC is a private company. But when you start banning people with no good proof, it starts setting the precedent of needing to watch what you say when you play Magic. 

Whether or not there is any "good proof" about this particular incident (I don't see how there isn't, a video from 6 months ago is still evidence, albeit temporally lagged evidence), there has been mounting things against Jeremy, and this was the breaking point or, if you don't think this is valid, the scapegoat opportunity to deal with him. WotC wants their fans to feel safe when at events, hence why that other Top8 guy that had a past rape charge was banned. Regardless of whether you believe being critical to feminism/trans/etc invalidates someone safety is questionable (I personally don't think critiques can harm anyone) but, some of his past actions, like tweeting photos of you gun collection saying "I like to see them come to my neighbourhood", is valid enough to make people question their safety around him, and thus Wizards took action. Although I'm sure many MTG players are advocates of guns and post themselves with their weapons, the issue comes to the responsibility of being a public figure. You actions have ripples through your followers and you cannot be sure how they interpret your words, so it is always best to err on the side of caution. Jeremy didn't do that.

Charles Manson never actually killed anyone. But the actions of his followers fell on him too.

And The Geek Shall likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MTGMTB said:

You can't possibly believe that even for a minute, we can't just want Wizards to not be PC and just let us play our favorite card game?

 

That's the best part, you absolutely can. I've been playing for 15 years unimpeded, it's great. :)

And The Geek Shall likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MTGMTB said:

This is America. 

We have Freedom of Speech.

People can say what they want.

 

 

This is not the USA, it's the internet. Each country as it's own laws in regards to what can and cannot be said across all media.

You don't have Freedom of Speech. The 1st Amendment exists to protect publications such as newspapers from prosecution by the government for printing anything that criticises it or its members. The US Supreme Court extended protection for opinion against the government to most US citizens in the 1970's.

No, you can't.

There are laws against saying anything that incites hatred, persecution &/or violence against groups of individuals. You cannot say anything that endangers public safety (the infamous "can't shout fire in a crowded movie theatre" statement) nor can you say anything that would otherwise cause affray or offence (such as swearing loudly in public).

What you are entitled to is having an opinion but everyone else is equally free to criticise that opinion &/or tell you to piss off.

XKCD covers it best here:

free_speech.png

WoTc & Hasbro are corporations, private entities, who are allowed under law to remove or ban any individual who damages their brand (see my early note about the 1st Amendment). They are entitled to the full extend of the law to protect their brand/product if a group or individual is bringing it into ill repute through their behaviour or are using their brand/product as a means to incite violence, hatred, bigotry, et cetera against an individual or group.

The 1st Amendment doesn't product groups or individuals against business enforcing their legal rights. It only applies to the government.

JesGolbez, TheCandyMan and MTGZuby like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2017 at 11:42 PM, MTGMTB said:

...

Wow. 

Just wow. 

This is just insane.

You can't possibly believe that even for a minute, we can't just want Wizards to not be PC and just let us play our favorite card game? 

I was out of Magic months ago in terms of constantly buying cards. Standard had taken a downturn and I was tired of spending money to win. So, I got into commander. I now have a functional deck.

This sets a disturbing precendent: Even outsiders, who don't play MTG looked at it and said "Yeah, Jeremy doesn't deserve this." 

Listen, I get that WoTC is a private company. But when you start banning people with no good proof, it starts setting the precedent of needing to watch what you say when you play Magic. 

This is America. 

We have Freedom of Speech.

People can say what they want.

So let them do that. Let people say what they want. Let us play our game in peace. 

MTGMTB

 

I get where you're coming from, but like you said WoTC is a private company.  Just like I don't think a bakery has to provide their services to someone they disagree with for religious reasons (or any reason really), WoTC has the same right to deny service to whoever they want.  

Affinity for MTG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0