MTGMTB

In Defense of Jeremy

8 posts in this topic

As you know, the main reason I migrated here was due to Reddit. The MTG subreddit banned me for having unpopular opinions on a certain YouTuber called MTGHeadquarters at the time. I supported him because, well, he was one of the first MTG youtubers I subbed to. They banned me, because I called them on their bluff, and their blatent hatred of conservatives. So, guess what. They banned me. And they used an EXTREMELY vague rule to ban me. 

Now, it's gotten worse.

For those of you who don't know, Jeremy has now recieved a lifetime ban from playing at any DCI Events. Because your DCI is linked to MTGO, he also lost a ton of money there.

All because people hate him.

Sprankle left the community, and blamed it on Jeremy. DesolaterMagic has made this statement. And to me, looking at everything, seems to be true. 

This is not just an issue of "he hurt my feelings" anymore. This is an issue of freedom of speech. 

I love this game. I will very likely love it until I die. But I cannot tolerate this for the new people who will come into Magic. 

If this continues the way it has, there will be people acting like secret police for Wizards. People will be banned over the most ridiculous things. All because they said something wrong. 

I have not played in a sanctioned event since Hour came out. I didn't want to, and I don't make that much money, so I can't. And until this is reversed, or Wizards makes a statement apologizing, I will not.

This is a declaration of Wizard's agenda. 

I'm asking you all to research this yourself. If I missed anything, I will edit it to fix that. Even if you disagree, I will be civil, always. 

MTGMTB

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

While I respect your opinion (and the MTG subreddit is pretty terrible), I don't think this is a freedom of speech issue.  Wizards is running a business and have rules that they can enforce as they see fit.  We can choose to support them or not because of how they enforce those rules but it's ultimately their decision.

I will say I think they should have given Jeremy a chance to cash in his collection on MTGO, but again they have a TOS for situations like this and those digital cards are their property.  It's one of the reasons I can't see myself putting much time or money into MTGO, I won't own those cards like I will paper products.

The whole situation got out of control pretty fast, people from both sides got pretty nasty; especially on Twitter.  Jeremy has said some things that just comes off as hateful and for the sake of getting under peoples skin.  Intentional or not I support his right to say whatever he wants, but I'm not surprised Wizards decided to drop the hammer.  Not saying Jeremy intentionally got banned but his status online has rose to heights that he never would have seen just being an MTG YouTuber.  Wizards turned him into a martyr for people who support him. 

The thing with Jeremy that many people forget is that when he lost his sponsorship with WOTC, he stated that WOTC had "made an enemy" and he would "make them pay for it." His agenda since losing his sponsorship was to degrade and belittle the company and everyone who works for it. I know he likes to play the victim and his fans buy into that, but he publicly stated he was going on the attack and he has done so for the past several months. I'll have to try to dig up the video, but I'm sure it's private/deleted by now.

This has been coming to Jeremy for a long time now. This has nothing to do with freedom of speech or having the wrong opinion. He has a platform that he utilized to instill hate and harassment. He can say all he wants that he can't control his followers, but when he makes video after video about MTG community members (and he has for a few years now) and his followers harass said community members, he's going to be blacklisted by WoTC and other companies. There have been others in the community that have tried to reach out to him and just talk to Jeremy but he just ignored it. He plays the victim very well and his followers eat it up.

Bottom line, you can be an asshole but don't expect people to like you.

I am no fan of SJWs, nor the fact WOTC loves to cater to a very small clique, but is Jeremy Hambly the hill you want to die on?
Let’s face facts, this boils down to the fact that Jeremy Hambly is a piece of shit. Full Stop. 

He’s a bully. He repeatedly insults other players, creators, and is jealous of anybody else who has more success than he has. He also gets his troll army to continue the assault. Look at what he tried to pull at GP Vegas. 

He’s a coward. If any of his stuff gets too much heat, he’ll delete, apologize, and claim ‘it’s a prank, bro!’. He can’t even stand up for the views and things he says. Some ‘alpha’. I might have an inkling of respect for him if he simply said “Yeah, this is what I think, deal with it.”
He doesn’t bring anything positive to the community. Hell, I used to watch a bit of his content, and it was obvious that he doesn’t even play the game, or know what the cards do. He is a clickbait artist, like Milo Yiannapolis, who jumped on to a product simply to ride the wave. 

If you want to really support a contrarian who is smart and doesn’t need to resort to petty insults, read Matt Sperling’s content. 

Of course, it’s easy enough to avoid twitter, reddit, etc and just play the damn game. I can’t recall ever going to an LGS or my playgroup and being beaten over the head with identity politics. It only becomes an issue if you actively look for it. My life is so much better now that I just let the idiots fight amongst themselves. 

From the perspective of a person who didn't know who he was until this all went down, his videos are very condescending toward several different groups of people who play MTG.

My question is why are those videos needed? What did this cosplayer do to you? What did WOTC do to you prior to this situation which caused you to comment on the different groups of people playing or supporting the game?

It all seems like he made these videos to make himself and others feel better by belittling others.

If I'm missing something there please correct me.

EDIT:  Some of his videos (when he sticks to actual content about the game) are good such as the card quality.

Just to offer up a counter-point since this discussion is fairly one-sided, let me say this: I like extreme music, particularly extreme forms of death metal, and I'm not talking about pop bands like Slipknot/Korn/whatever. This music that I listen to is horrifically violent, glamorizing and glorifying very dark aspects of humanity that I won't specify here in the event that our younger members happen upon the post. Suffice it to say the lyrics are incredibly offensive, alarming, and hateful, and despite all that the music has always held a certain appeal to me.

So, with that said I am not in any way condemning someone for enjoying Jeremy's content. If someone were to tell me to my face that Unsleeved Media is there favorite channel, I'd likely just nod and say "Cool, I like MTGGoldfish." There is absolutely nothing wrong, in my opinion, for liking whatever content you want to consume in your free time. If you like the more emotional, outraged, and pessimistic nature his content, I understand! I like those very things in my music!

It's just that, when it comes to this banning, the thing we all have to realize is that DCI membership is a privilege, not a right, and it's completely understandable that WOTC would revoke that privileged from someone who makes a living belittling the company and its fans. In the same way that death metal bands are frequently banned from venues with prudish owners who disapprove off their lyrics. It's kind of bull-crap as a fan, for sure, and so I can see why Jeremy's fans would be defensive. Still, the whole incident seems perfectly sensible to me.

20 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

So, with that said I am not in any way condemning someone for enjoying Jeremy's content. If someone were to tell me to my face that Unsleeved Media is there favorite channel, I'd likely just nod and say "Cool, I like MTGGoldfish." There is absolutely nothing wrong, in my opinion, for liking whatever content you want to consume in your free time. If you like the more emotional, outraged, and pessimistic nature his content, I understand! I like those very things in my music!

Well said, I think that gets lost in the outrage recently and labeling people because of the content they enjoy.  It's OK to disagree or not all think alike, we can all have different opinions and still get along and have fun.

MTGZuby likes this