Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

pauper
Speculating on Pauper?

14 posts in this topic

Now that there will be Pauper side events at every GP in January 2018 championed by The Professor, Pauper is gaining popularity.

With that popularity means the finance hounds are looking to make a few bucks off of it.  Be careful with prices before you start purchasing cards in the next month or so and try to get them as low as you can.  I'm hoping they realize Pauper isn't a format you can cash in on and not ruin what should be a cheap format.  My fear is that people new to Pauper shy away because the cost of decks is going up and instead play other formats.

My thoughts personally was that foils may go up. Those looking to still play should have no issues with the non foils. As popularity of a format grows unfortunately so does the price...Usually...I don't expect massive gains, but i im sure you will see certain stuff go up.

The good thing about commons is it's really hard to do a massive buyout, because there are SO many of them in the market, so people in the investment community (Rudy and the like) can't influence the price. Still, I'm sure the retailers will hike up the prices simply because they know there is going to be a flood of buyers over the next few weeks.

I think the biggest issue is with cards that are staples but haven't been printed in a long time. Things like Chittering Rats, Gorilla Shaman, and Pyroblast/Hydroblast, for example. Technically there were a lot of them printed because they were common, but by now a lot of those are in old boxes in the backs of closets of people who have quit the game years/decades ago, so even though they are bulk now because they are unplayable, if there is a push to buy them the market might not be as saturated as people might think.

If I wanted to try to invest, I'd buy those...and if I was WOTC, I'd be thinking hard about reprinting those before the prices blow up.

Lasraik likes this

I hate MTG Finance so much. Read some posts on Twitter about people doing exactly this, buying out commons and the such. Anything for a quick buck to screw over others

Lasraik likes this

2 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

The good thing about commons is it's really hard to do a massive buyout, because there are SO many of them in the market, so people in the investment community (Rudy and the like) can't influence the price. Still, I'm sure the retailers will hike up the prices simply because they know there is going to be a flood of buyers over the next few weeks.

I think the biggest issue is with cards that are staples but haven't been printed in a long time. Things like Chittering Rats, Gorilla Shaman, and Pyroblast/Hydroblast, for example. Technically there were a lot of them printed because they were common, but by now a lot of those are in old boxes in the backs of closets of people who have quit the game years/decades ago, so even though they are bulk now because they are unplayable, if there is a push to buy them the market might not be as saturated as people might think.

If I wanted to try to invest, I'd buy those...and if I was WOTC, I'd be thinking hard about reprinting those before the prices blow up.

There's lots of those cards in decks like Elves, those deck prices are 3x what they were a few days ago

For the most part, it will be the foils that go up as Mancave said. The other prices will slowly creep up on staples, but not anything extraordinary. If you are wanting to cash in on in, I would go for the older foils and promo foils, like Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, and the artifact lands. Not only do I believe these will go up a rather significant amount, but they sell easily even before the new hype, so they should be easy to move.

Lasraik likes this

On 12/30/2017 at 3:29 AM, Affinity for MTG said:

That, and Rudy isn't interested in singles that aren't reserved list at all. The truly big collectors aren't interested in the MTG equivalent of cryptocurrency (speculating on commons) I don't even do crazy stuff at my store and I know better than to try and buyout commons.

That being said, instead of speculating on random cards for pauper, I believe a person would be more successful looking into commons that just so happen to be good in other formats like modern or legacy, and take a peek at their foil prices. That's how crazy commons like Blighted Agent are $.50 normally but have like a $25 foil. Or like when Treasure Cruise wasn't restricted in Vintage, and the foil was at the time like $25 for a $.10 non-foil card.

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:45 PM, teh_chris said:

That, and Rudy isn't interested in singles that aren't reserved list at all. The truly big collectors aren't interested in the MTG equivalent of cryptocurrency (speculating on commons) I don't even do crazy stuff at my store and I know better than to try and buyout commons.

That being said, instead of speculating on random cards for pauper, I believe a person would be more successful looking into commons that just so happen to be good in other formats like modern or legacy, and take a peek at their foil prices. That's how crazy commons like Blighted Agent are $.50 normally but have like a $25 foil. Or like when Treasure Cruise wasn't restricted in Vintage, and the foil was at the time like $25 for a $.10 non-foil card.

I agree with this entirely.  

Lasraik and Abaddon like this

On 1/21/2018 at 0:28 PM, SylvanMTG said:

That has to be a buyout. I refuse to believe Standard Bearer is legitimately $10.

Yeah it has to be a buy out by the way the price shot up