Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jazz

Amazon Echo

14 posts in this topic

So the woman got me an Amazon Echo for Christmas, in order to remind me to do things and the like.  As I forget things it seems.  Been playing around with it, trying to set up lists and reminders and the like.  I recall Pas and others here having them?  Any recommendations for it?  Any means to get it to play your music without having an Amazon Music or Spotify account?

You just have to add whatever app you want your music through.  We have prime, but not prime music and it seems most songs are available just asking it to play whatever.  We use it for news briefings, fact checking, and music.  We have had it over a year now and it still gets used daily.  We have not connected it to our calendars.  Sometimes we use it as a timer for the kids music practice.  We thought about getting another one since they were only 25$ for an intercom down stairs, but I like to yell.

Oh, we did hook it up to overdrive and audible to play books on tape too.

Edited by Jag
Jazz likes this

Honestly? I never used my dot that my grandpa gave me, because I don't like the thought of it listening to everything you say.

It's cool though. I will admit that.

Jazz likes this

On 1/2/2018 at 5:19 PM, MTGMTB said:

Honestly? I never used my dot that my grandpa gave me, because I don't like the thought of it listening to everything you say.

Technically, it listens, but only for a very short space of time, to see if you have summoned it. It disregards everything else.

We mostly listen to the radio every day. Tune-in can access Fresh Radio Paris - my fvourite station. I have my work calendar attached. Weather. Farting and meeowing at the moment. We have a big one in the kitchen and my son has the small one in his bedroom, which he mostly asks question, and listens to relaxing music before sleep and death metal at other times.

Jazz likes this

11 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Technically, it listens, but only for a very short space of time, to see if you have summoned it. It disregards everything else.

We mostly listen to the radio every day. Tune-in can access Fresh Radio Paris - my fvourite station. I have my work calendar attached. Weather. Farting and meeowing at the moment. We have a big one in the kitchen and my son has the small one in his bedroom, which he mostly asks question, and listens to relaxing music before sleep and death metal at other times.

I did see that it could use Tune-In, but wasn't sure what it was.  Will have to add that and give it a go, find a radio station I can listen to.  We found the meowing skill and got that added, farting I had seen as well but given the complaints I get about my own farting I doubt getting the skill would be appreciated by certain people.  Got my calendar attached, it was intended to to help me remember things after all, though I had some pilarva getting my appointments to show up in the google calender online so that Alexa could see it.  My gf enjoys playing games with it, particularly the read my mind one.

And I'm sure you do have a big one in the kitchen, does your wife know? :P

On 02/01/2018 at 4:27 PM, Jag said:

You just have to add whatever app you want your music through.  We have prime, but not prime music and it seems most songs are available just asking it to play whatever.  We use it for news briefings, fact checking, and music.  We have had it over a year now and it still gets used daily.  We have not connected it to our calendars.  Sometimes we use it as a timer for the kids music practice.  We thought about getting another one since they were only 25$ for an intercom down stairs, but I like to yell.

Oh, we did hook it up to overdrive and audible to play books on tape too.

Not got Prime, suppose I should considering how much stuff I buy from Amazon but I don't like to be tied down.  Commitment issues.  I have connected it to my calendar, the news and weather briefings are handy and getting a traffic report for my trip to work in the morning is handy.  Mine gets used as a timer a lot as well, usually for cooking.

MTGZuby likes this

On 1/2/2018 at 10:19 AM, MTGMTB said:

I agree, I'll probably never have one because I don't like the idea of it listening even if it is in short intervals.  Smart TV's don't record you without letting you know, right

Elovia and MTGZuby like this

So is like TuneIn the default Amazon radio station service?  Because I tried to make it the default but it didn't have the option, yet when I ask it to play a radio station it defaults to TuneIn...

2 hours ago, Jazz said:

So is like TuneIn the default Amazon radio station service?  Because I tried to make it the default but it didn't have the option, yet when I ask it to play a radio station it defaults to TuneIn...

That's my take. 

Jazz likes this

9 hours ago, Pasanda said:

That's my take. 

Cool so it's not just me messing up.  Bloody hell spent most of last night trying to sort that out thinking I was doing something wrong! :D

8 hours ago, Jazz said:

Cool so it's not just me messing up.  Bloody hell spent most of last night trying to sort that out thinking I was doing something wrong! :D

Remember ... correlation is not causation. :D

1 hour ago, Elovia said:

Remember ... correlation is not causation. :D

OMIGOD SUB IS BACK EVACUATE FORUMS!!!!  :o

Lasraik likes this