Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

The Judge Program and The Quartering

41 posts in this topic

Jeremy from Unsleeved Media started posting videos on the Quartering YouTube channel about information he received on judges who were sex offenders.  One video from the Unsleeved Media channel can be found here  Some of information he posted looked legitimate and raised some questions about Wizards vetting process for their Judge Program.  

Today Elaine Chase from WotC responded

1-2-2018 6-49-45 PM.png

Not long after Jeremy responded on his Quartering channel and his channel was quickly removed from YouTube for violating terms of service

1-2-2018 6-56-50 PM.png

The plot thickens.

(I actually download most of the videos I watch because I watch them later while I'm at work to kill some time, so I have these videos saved on a thumb drive if anyone wants me to re-upload them here.)

1-2-2018 7-03-56 PM.png

His backup channel can be found here

I have two thoughts on this:

1.) I'm sure the intention was to get dirt on Wizards because he was banned and out for blood.  So let's for a minute set his intentions aside and focus on the information he presented.

2.) Judges represent Wizards.  They should be properly vetted and put through background checks before they are verified and approved to be judges.  It looks like even in their response above they pass the buck to the local stores and tournament organizers.

15 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

2.) Judges represent Wizards.  They should be properly vetted and put through background checks before they are verified and approved to be judges.  It looks like even in their response above they pass the buck to the local stores and tournament organizers.

It's interesting in that while we are the most obvious point of contact for the average player to Wizards, we really don't get any pull or even are heard by them until you hit at least L2. Like me, while I'm sure I could call in some favors due to the L2s and L3s I know within the program, I know the average L1 has little to no juice when passing issues from the players to Wizards of the Coast. You'd probably get the "message customer service" line or "message my regional coordinator, this is him" line or something.

Also as I stated in some Twitter thread, I'm all for going the Pokemon route and having background checks for staff/judges/TOs as part of the application process. Sure, it'd be a pain for the 99.9% of those that don't travel to GPs or the PT or basically don't leave their local area, but an ounce of prevention (in the form of background checks) could have saved a ton of PR problems now surfacing here.

I've been pretty blackpilled over the entire situation -- mostly that there are people like this in the program and that Those Whom Are In Charge were not aware of this, or possibly are aware and let this happen. Secondly, that it had to take what was IMO the stupidest MTG related event of 2017 for it to surface (Spranklegate).

Lasraik and King of Jank like this

1 hour ago, teh_chris said:

It's interesting in that while we are the most obvious point of contact for the average player to Wizards, we really don't get any pull or even are heard by them until you hit at least L2. Like me, while I'm sure I could call in some favors due to the L2s and L3s I know within the program, I know the average L1 has little to no juice when passing issues from the players to Wizards of the Coast. You'd probably get the "message customer service" line or "message my regional coordinator, this is him" line or something.

Also as I stated in some Twitter thread, I'm all for going the Pokemon route and having background checks for staff/judges/TOs as part of the application process. Sure, it'd be a pain for the 99.9% of those that don't travel to GPs or the PT or basically don't leave their local area, but an ounce of prevention (in the form of background checks) could have saved a ton of PR problems now surfacing here.

I've been pretty blackpilled over the entire situation -- mostly that there are people like this in the program and that Those Whom Are In Charge were not aware of this, or possibly are aware and let this happen. Secondly, that it had to take what was IMO the stupidest MTG related event of 2017 for it to surface (Spranklegate).

I was hoping you'd share your thoughts on this, it's interesting how players (like me) assume judges have at last a little juice given how much it takes to even get in the program as an L1 judge (at least from what I've heard/read)

Jeremy re-uploaded his response video here: WOTC Responds By Calling Me A Liar & Passing The Buck (The Video That Shut Me Down)  

teh_chris likes this

There really is no reason why Judges shouldn't be seriously vetted before they're allowed to judge. 

As obvious as it was that Jeremy was doing this to spite WotC (did he know of this before and held the info for blackmail?), the silence was waaaaaaay to deafening. I get that you want to make sure facts line up, but there really is no harm in saying "We don't condone pedophiles in the MTG community", especially when silence is almost worse than condoning. But we didn't get anything from the company, or the big names in the community, or even gaming news sources, or reddit. Nothing but the news from Jeremy, which in itself might have hurt the truth, because it was being preached by him. 

It really is a mess all around. I've tried to stop following all of this drama, I mean, I don't want to turn a blind eye to pedo judges, but like @teh_chris said, its really disheartening that all of this is at the surface because a Cosplayer left MTG, and not because theres, you know, god damn pedophiles judging a kid's card game.

Lasraik and teh_chris like this

7 hours ago, Lasraik said:

I was hoping you'd share your thoughts on this, it's interesting how players (like me) assume judges have at last a little juice given how much it takes to even get in the program as an L1 judge (at least from what I've heard/read)

Jeremy re-uploaded his response video here: WOTC Responds By Calling Me A Liar & Passing The Buck (The Video That Shut Me Down)  

Definitely going to watch the video now before it gets shut down again.

It doesn't take much to get into the program at all. Usually you find a regional L2 or L3 (through your region's Regional Coordinator), do some interviews about your rules knowledge, show that you can handle events through some practice runs during FNM or some other event (that's what the old Rules Advisor slot was for basically) and finally take the L1 test, which to be honest is fairly easy if you've been playing for a very long time. Nothing about background checks, basically if you're a player in good DCI standing you're technically eligible for the test and the promotion from L0 (everyone is a L0) to a L1.

We ain't that spooky. It's just a matter of looking into it and applying. I did it because I knew I wasn't really interested in competitive play and all that insanity, but I still wanted to get better at Magic and expand my knowledge, for example. It definitely helps that I'm the most senior of the 4 L1s on this island, and I've been doing this for longer than some of the L2s in my state.

6 hours ago, King of Jank said:

There really is no reason why Judges shouldn't be seriously vetted before they're allowed to judge. 

As obvious as it was that Jeremy was doing this to spite WotC (did he know of this before and held the info for blackmail?), the silence was waaaaaaay to deafening. I get that you want to make sure facts line up, but there really is no harm in saying "We don't condone pedophiles in the MTG community", especially when silence is almost worse than condoning. But we didn't get anything from the company, or the big names in the community, or even gaming news sources, or reddit. Nothing but the news from Jeremy, which in itself might have hurt the truth, because it was being preached by him. 

It really is a mess all around. I've tried to stop following all of this drama, I mean, I don't want to turn a blind eye to pedo judges, but like @teh_chris said, its really disheartening that all of this is at the surface because a Cosplayer left MTG, and not because theres, you know, god damn pedophiles judging a kid's card game.

I'm floored that the "official response" was via a short tweet thread and not on the mothership site directly.

Just another thing to note in my Great Book of MTG Grudges, alongside my store receiving 5/6 fully miscut From the Vault Transforms and not being able to return them to get new ones, forcing my store to host the Ixalan Store Championship during New Year's weekend, and discovering that Unstable was going to receive a second print run next month. And people in RL wonder why I've been more and more pessimistic about Magic (mostly WoTC and how stupid they can be) since Battle For Zendikar... :(

Lasraik likes this

You know, when Jeremy got banned I knew he wouldn't stop and would continue to relentlessly bully others. But now? With exposing some pedophiles as MTG judges and the head MTG judge as an alleged domestic abuser, I'm all for burning it all down. Jeremy did stupid shit and made videos and harassed people in the MTG community but WoTC turns a blind eye to judges? The correct PR thing to do would be, "Hey we're looking into it, background checks for all blah blah blah" instead Elaine Chase doubles down and just tries to sweep it under the rug.

The ineptitude of WoTC shows itself day by day.

I logged into Twitter (Something I rarely do) and noticed Elaine Chase had made that generic apology. I was wondering why, and tried to look at the thread. Reading twitter threads is a nightmare. There was nothing on reddit, and I didn’t really want to have to go to Jeremy’s channel. Eventually I did and saw what the fuss was about.

My personal thoughts.

• 1.    Doxing is the last resort of the scoundrel – Both the alt left/right resort to Doxing and character assassinations when backed into a corner. I really hate this sort of thing, since it isn’t done to be a good person, but to ruin somebody else’s life. It’s an extreme form of virtue signaling. 
  • 2.    That said, pointing out convicted sex offenders/pedophiles that are currently judges is certainly noteworthy. I suppose some good has come of this, but I do worry that further such doxings could lead to the wrong person getting flagged. People can be rehabilitated. 
  • 3.    Weaponized Autism – It’s a term used to describe 4-channers, but when you get them angry, they put their minds to something and get stuff done.
  • 4.    The judge program is a volunteer program, and WOTC doesn’t hire/pay the judges. They do that for $ reasons, obviously. 
  • 5.    With any LARGE group of people, you get a few bad apples. I bet that there are a few people at every GP with a criminal record or something bad in their past.
  • 6.    Background checks aren’t the same in each country, but I think it is possible to do them in Canada/US and should be done as part of the certification process. They are inexpensive and easy to get done. I am kind of surprise that L3s, at least, didn’t have them done. 
  • 7.    WOTC went full Gastapo. They pulled a Stalin and quietly removed the judges’ names from certain sites, and then filed claims against various YouTubers. Very sneaky, and kind of sad… I realize that Hasbro is a large US corp, but this just shows that they can’t own up to their own shortcomings. 
  • 8.    Head Judge Riki Hiyashi proves the point that those that speak the loudest have the most to hide. He has railed often about diversity and other SJW nonsense, yet his ex-wife posted about how he was an abusive cheater. Yup, WOTC allows this man to be the arbiter of their judge program and moralize. 
  • 9.    I am enjoying the drama, even if it really is confirmed to Twitter. 
  • 10.    Jeremy is still an asshole. Remember Jose Canseco? He warned about steroids in baseball, and nobody listened. Canseco did expose the truth, but he did it purely to sell his book. 

5 hours ago, teh_chris said:

I'm floored that the "official response" was via a short tweet thread and not on the mothership site directly.

Having the official response on a Twitter account with 5k followers instead of the official WotC Twitter account with 170k followers makes this all look worse.  At the very least it should be on the Wizards Twitter account, and even that looks bad.  This should be on the Wizards website.  

Scrubbing peoples names that were in Jeremys videos from the website and people finding them participating in official tournaments after they were supposedly banned is just weird.  

1-3-2018 10-01-49 AM.png

Madman Jeremy just posted what I believe to be a list of all L2s and L3s worldwide. I don't quite know what to say about this, since I'm sure he has the L1s too, but are probably too numerous (or too little juice) for it to matter to him.

And considering what I woke up to on Facebook this morning, Those Whom Are In Charge are very not-happy about it.

Lasraik likes this

Maybe they should start digging into Jeremy's private life, eh?

Sorry, but as much as it's a good idea to screen judges, a witch hunt like this is just purely wrong. He's doing more than just burning bridges... and his troll army will gleefully do his bidding. I know some local judges ,and really don't want to see them dragged into this muck.

Per one of them "Somebody with access to JudgeApps ran a SQL query on the data on the database and gave him the dump."

On 1/4/2018 at 0:43 PM, teh_chris said:

Madman Jeremy just posted what I believe to be a list of all L2s and L3s worldwide. I don't quite know what to say about this, since I'm sure he has the L1s too, but are probably too numerous (or too little juice) for it to matter to him.

And considering what I woke up to on Facebook this morning, Those Whom Are In Charge are very not-happy about it.

Out of curiosity, where is that information posted?  Is it not public?

Edit: Jeremy's latest video, pretty stomach turning stuff.  Magic The Gathering Has A Player Safety Issue

I was shocked when I first saw the whole "Pedophiles in the Judge Program" from Jeremy. Sure, he's a dick, but I still support him. He's nice when you get to know him. Regardless, I thought that it was maybe something baseless.

But when you start actually checking... Dear Lord, it's sickening. How could WoTC let this happen? 

When you think about it, the banning has been good for the community. While under false pretenses (Sprankle said that she was stopping for nursing school), this has revealed a major problem that we can fix now.

We can help make Magic great again. It can truly be a game for all people, no matter creed, sex, gender, skin color, etc. 

And we can weed out the pedophiles that lurk in the Judge program.

teh_chris and Lasraik like this

So shit just keeps getting crazier with this:

http://nichegamer.com/2018/01/08/magic-pedophile-conspiracy/

While this is just one example of ineptitude by Wizards, LGS, and TO's, think of how many other supposed pedophiles that are judges are out there? Wizards needs to address this before it starts blowing up to mainstream news. I'm anxious to see what else is going to be uncovered and how deep this rabbithole goes.

Lasraik likes this

4 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

So shit just keeps getting crazier with this:

http://nichegamer.com/2018/01/08/magic-pedophile-conspiracy/

While this is just one example of ineptitude by Wizards, LGS, and TO's, think of how many other supposed pedophiles that are judges are out there? Wizards needs to address this before it starts blowing up to mainstream news. I'm anxious to see what else is going to be uncovered and how deep this rabbithole goes.

It's only a matter of time before it goes to the mainstream media.  Wizards isn't doing much to squash the issue they are only making it worse with the way they are responding (or not) to it.

The judges put out an official statement... fairly standard: https://blogs.magicjudges.org/coordinators/2018/01/09/program-coordinator-statement/

I doubt this hits the mainstream media. Hambly and his troll army don't have as much reach as he thinks they do, and the only media I really see covering this are idiots like Milo Yiannopolis.

There is also no real proof, that I can see, that we have (m)any current judges that are known pedophiles. A lot of the smoking gun cases involve people who are in jail or are FORMER judges. You could look into any large game and start doxing. We can see through Jeremy's attempt at being a warrior of 'justice'

The only real important thing to come out of this is the need for background checks on any judges L1 and above. That should be easy to do. 

Lasraik likes this

1-9-2018 7-28-00 PM.png

The judges crimes were public knowledge before all of this blew up.  Why did it take a random YouTuber to bring it all to light?  

1-9-2018 7-28-36 PM.png

What are they going to change about their system to avoid pedophiles or people who have committed sex crimes from being judges in the future?  Depending on tips?

So the judge response made it to reddit, and the comments were somewhat surprising, in my opinion: 

I haven't been keeping up with this, so maybe I missed an event that happened, but the comments are basically, "sucks they had to do this", or "Jeremy is making a witch hunt", like this is all fictional, and there was nothing wrong with the Judge program.

I don't like Jeremy or support him, and the "Think of the children!" cry he has is obviously a thin veiled excuse to get revenge on wizards. But he did not tell men to go diddle children, and there were pedophiles among the judges, the police reports prove that. So I don't get why the Left is trying to dismiss this, just because the source is their enemy. There were pedos judging a kids card game, and people can only think of the sides they're fighting for, oppose to actually talking about ways to fix this situation.

The right claims WotC is harbouring pedos, the left claims the pedos are being created by the right. Both are bullshit.

3 minutes ago, King of Jank said:

So the judge response made it to reddit, and the comments were somewhat surprising, in my opinion: 

I haven't been keeping up with this, so maybe I missed an event that happened, but the comments are basically, "sucks they had to do this", or "Jeremy is making a witch hunt", like this is all fictional, and there was nothing wrong with the Judge program.

I don't like Jeremy or support him, and the "Think of the children!" cry he has is obviously a thin veiled excuse to get revenge on wizards. But he did not tell men to go diddle children, and there were pedophiles among the judges, the police reports prove that. So I don't get why the Left is trying to dismiss this, just because the source is their enemy. There were pedos judging a kids card game, and people can only think of the sides they're fighting for, oppose to actually talking about ways to fix this situation.

The right claims WotC is harbouring pedos, the left claims the pedos are being created by the right. Both are bullshit.

And what surprises me more is a lot of the commentators are straight up lying. Regardless of how you feel about Jeremy he has a paper trail on a lot of the confirmed pedos that were judges. It's sickening really.  

Lasraik and King of Jank like this

I was a little surprised to read the comments on Reddit; but then I remembered they ban everyone who has a different opinion.  

MTGZuby likes this

1 hour ago, Lasraik said:

I was a little surprised to read the comments on Reddit; but then I remembered they ban everyone who has a different opinion.  

You have to have the correct opinion

26 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

You have been banned from /r/pyongyang

#oldjoke

Good. Never wanna go there

9 hours ago, King of Jank said:

Both are bullshit.

That's pretty much how I feel about every Left/Right debate ever. :P

Here are my opinions on the topic.

-Jeremy squeals a lot, but at least he's squealing about something helpful for once. Even if his intention isn't to improve the game in any way, but to be a big giant douche as usual.
-I wouldn't immediately blame WOTC for the lack of background checks, though it does seem like a pretty bad lapse in judgement. I sincerely hope they do decide to run background checks in the future, even if it means charging new Judge's a fee for joining to cover the cost.
-I would be more than happy to collect every Left/Right extremists in existence, arm them with sharp objects, and lock them in a large building together. With bears.

King of Jank likes this

1 hour ago, Affinity for MTG said:

it does seem like a pretty bad lapse in judgement.

Hah, I see what you did there.

1 hour ago, Affinity for MTG said:

I would be more than happy to collect every Left/Right extremists in existence, arm them with sharp objects, and lock them in a large building together. With bears.

I'd root for the bears.