Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

The Judge Program and The Quartering

41 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2018 at 10:20 PM, King of Jank said:

I get that you want to make sure facts line up, but there really is no harm in saying "We don't condone pedophiles in the MTG community", especially when silence is almost worse than condoning. 

Is it though?  The fact that it would be so easy to deny is sort of proof that there is something else going on here.  If I was WoTC, I'd want to stay as far away from Unsleeved Media as possible.  Sometimes by responding to things, you give these people a bigger audience.  There are plenty of Magic players who aren't plugged into the online community and haven't ever seen one of his videos.  Why make him famous among the rest of the Magic playing world (especially since it's a reasonable assumption that most of the people who watch his stuff know to take him with a grain of salt)?

2 hours ago, Breakfast with Nerds said:

Is it though?  The fact that it would be so easy to deny is sort of proof that there is something else going on here.  If I was WoTC, I'd want to stay as far away from Unsleeved Media as possible.  Sometimes by responding to things, you give these people a bigger audience.  There are plenty of Magic players who aren't plugged into the online community and haven't ever seen one of his videos.  Why make him famous among the rest of the Magic playing world (especially since it's a reasonable assumption that most of the people who watch his stuff know to take him with a grain of salt)?

Sorry, I was eluding that nowadays silence is almost worse than condoning. In the eyes of your critics, silence is not beneficial. If you don't outright condemn something immediately, you get smeared...Not that it matters much, even if you do condemn it, you'll probably get smeared for not condemning it enough.

31 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

Looks like Jeremy made some movement:

http://company.wizards.com/article/news/making-magic-spaces-safer

Now all TOs and LGS's will need to run background checks on all event staff.

Perfectly ok with this

Ladies and gentlemen...

We got him. 

*applause raises from the side sickened by the pedos/Jeremy Supporters whilst Reddit goes batshit crazy over the fact that it was because of Jeremy*

Will provide pictures from the MtG subreddit if asked. 

MTGZuby and Lasraik like this

2 minutes ago, MTGMTB said:

Ladies and gentlemen...

We got him. 

*applause raises from the side sickened by the pedos/Jeremy Supporters whilst Reddit goes batshit crazy over the fact that it was because of Jeremy*

Will provide pictures from the MtG subreddit if asked. 

While I don't agree with all of Jeremy's tactics during this ordeal and I still believe he should remain banned he brought up a very good and valid point during all this. The fact he showed proof that Judges were active after being prosecuted was it for me. 

I am happy to see background checks for judges, but asking LGSs to do this for every single employee? That seems like a massive overstep. 

WOTC does tend to bow to angry mobs, regardless of their political beliefs. It's too bad this had to come up simply because Jeremy wants to hurt WOTC, and not because of anything altruistic. 

Lasraik likes this

I think it's a positive change, but now the question is who pays for it? I don't think LGS's can afford even MORE cash outflow to be WPN, as many of them have a hard enough time staying in business as it is. I mentioned in my first post that charging a fee to become apply to be a judge could cover the background check, but apparently store employees have to be checked as well.

While I think it's a good thing, I hope WOTC figures out how to negate the cost for store owners.

Lasraik likes this

4 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

I am happy to see background checks for judges, but asking LGSs to do this for every single employee? That seems like a massive overstep. 

WOTC does tend to bow to angry mobs, regardless of their political beliefs. It's too bad this had to come up simply because Jeremy wants to hurt WOTC, and not because of anything altruistic. 

It is a bit of an overstep to have all employees take background checks, but other than the LGS incurring the cost I don't think it's a bad thing.  Background checks are pretty cheap, and if they around children most of their day then I think it's appropriate.  

6 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

While I don't agree with all of Jeremy's tactics during this ordeal and I still believe he should remain banned he brought up a very good and valid point during all this. The fact he showed proof that Judges were active after being prosecuted was it for me. 

I would say a 1-3 year ban would be appropriate.  They can't backtrack on it now, though.    

MTGZuby likes this

The response this morning has been interesting, to say the least.

Liberals are suddenly defending pedophiles, despite the fact that they always claim to stand up for the vulnerable members of any community. Now they're talking about "rights" like conservatives.
Conservatives are suddenly virtue signalling and acting all altruistic, patting themselves on the back for standing up for the vulnerable members of the community. Very liberal of them.

I love and/or hate it. I'm not sure. It's all kind of adorable really. Fun to watch. Much entertainment. KIll me.

Lasraik, MTGZuby and King of Jank like this

Judge Program released a statement about background checks:

https://blogs.magicjudges.org/coordinators/2018/01/22/program-coordinators-opinion-on-background-checks/

Checklist time:

More bullshit *Check*
Again no one can fucking own up to anything *Check*
"We don't like this idea because our 'enemy' forced it" *Check*
Same terrible excuses against background checks *Check*
Ending with anecdotal "All the judges I know are Saints!" *Check* (I wanted to say 'priests' instead of 'saints', but that might be a bit too accurate....)

Lasraik likes this

My last piece on this, since this campaign was nothing more than a cowardly child trying to hurt WOTC for banning him.
If WOTC was doing the background checks, and keeping things centralized (like YuGiOh supposedly does), I would be all for this. Leaving this to the individual stores or TOs is going to create a lot of chaos, extra costs, AND will probably lead to event cancellations because not enough judges. WOTC should be shouldering this burden. 

WOTC won’t do this, of course, because of the pending lawsuit by the judges and the fact WOTC doesn’t want judges to have any appearance of being employees. 

It’s laughable to think that anybody is ‘pro-pedophile’ or that there is some mass conspiracy within the judge ranks. The Judge community is quite large, and you are liable to find a few bad apples in any large population of people, judges or not. There was hardly a smoking gun, and WOTC has shown that that have banned judges for misconduct in the past…they just do so quietly. 

MTGZuby, Lasraik and King of Jank like this

30 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

My last piece on this, since this campaign was nothing more than a cowardly child trying to hurt WOTC for banning him.
If WOTC was doing the background checks, and keeping things centralized (like YuGiOh supposedly does), I would be all for this. Leaving this to the individual stores or TOs is going to create a lot of chaos, extra costs, AND will probably lead to event cancellations because not enough judges. WOTC should be shouldering this burden. 

WOTC won’t do this, of course, because of the pending lawsuit by the judges and the fact WOTC doesn’t want judges to have any appearance of being employees. 

It’s laughable to think that anybody is ‘pro-pedophile’ or that there is some mass conspiracy within the judge ranks. The Judge community is quite large, and you are liable to find a few bad apples in any large population of people, judges or not. There was hardly a smoking gun, and WOTC has shown that that have banned judges for misconduct in the past…they just do so quietly. 

I agree with you that WOTC should shoulder this burden and they won't because they don't want to send mixed messages.  But the way WOTC has handled this whole situation has been a complete mess from start to finish.

1-23-2018 10-38-20 AM.png

Wow, that paragraph lol.  

This is why everyone is so upset.  Instead of just stating that it's come to their attention some judges were guilty of crimes and this is for the good of the program and the game, they claim they were loosely veiled accusations.  They weren't accusations.  But I think they worded it this way to keep the Judges who were upset about this whole situation happy and not seem like they are bending the knee to U.M.  

This is the right thing to do, but they aren't going about enforcing it the right way imho.

King of Jank, JesGolbez and MTGZuby like this