Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Attending RIX Prerelease?

19 posts in this topic

Assuming, I recover enough, I will try running the gamut again. 10am  Early Bird event, 2pm Main event, then repeat on Sunday. I am going to attempt to vlog at least one of them. Plus, my lgs has put a bounty on my head for the 2pm main event on Sunday. Anyone who beats me gets an extra pack added to their prize pool. Should be a blast!

Affinity for MTG and MTGZuby like this

33 minutes ago, ChuckWagonMTG said:

Assuming, I recover enough, I will try running the gamut again. 10am  Early Bird event, 2pm Main event, then repeat on Sunday. I am going to attempt to vlog at least one of them. Plus, my lgs has put a bounty on my head for the 2pm main event on Sunday. Anyone who beats me gets an extra pack added to their prize pool. Should be a blast!

Image result for Off with their head

A bounty on your head? :o Are you the big cheese at your store?

18 hours ago, ChuckWagonMTG said:

Hey interesting!  I've done the 'iron man', sort of' at least once, including a midnight pre-release.  No bounty on my head, but this time around I'm thinking: midnight pre-release, then 6pm Saturday, 11am Sunday and 6pm Sunday (2hg).

Now, if I'm doing terrible and drop by around 3am, I might even do the Saturday morning event too. :)

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

I'll be doing my typical 3 midnight events.  First prerelease starts at midnight and then another one starts immediately after that.  Then, another one starts immediately after that one.  Prizes are always good and the person with the best overall after the 3 midnight events gets a free copy of the most recent From The Vault product.  I had the best overall record for Aether Revolt and for Ixalan, so I'm hoping to do well in these prereleases as well.

MTGandME, JesGolbez and MTGZuby like this

51 minutes ago, AlbyMTG said:

I'll be doing my typical 3 midnight events.  First prerelease starts at midnight and then another one starts immediately after that.  Then, another one starts immediately after that one.  Prizes are always good and the person with the best overall after the 3 midnight events gets a free copy of the most recent From The Vault product.  I had the best overall record for Aether Revolt and for Ixalan, so I'm hoping to do well in these prereleases as well.

WTF How do you even survive that.

ChuckWagonMTG, AlbyMTG and rainman like this

On 1/12/2018 at 2:04 PM, MTGZuby said:

It certainly isn't easy.  Prerelease weekends are some of the most fun, but most tiring weekends for me.  I work and play in FNM starting at 5pm Friday and then don't get home until Saturday morning between 9am and 11am depending on how many players show up.  Then, I'm working another prerelease tomorrow at 12:30.  Since I'm usually in the running for being the overall winner at prerelease, it gives me an incentive to keep myself awake the whole time.  I've done the 3 back to back to back midnight prereleases for ever set since Magic Origins.

MTGZuby likes this

On 1/12/2018 at 10:04 AM, MTGZuby said:

On 1/12/2018 at 1:51 PM, JesGolbez said:

I suppose if you work graveyard shifts, it wouldn't be such a big thing :P Otherwise... oof

I've worked graveyard shift for most of the last 13 years, and I take a day or two off on either end of the prereleases to sleep and take care of other responsibilities before and after the weekend.  Caffeine, water, good food and maintaining a fun environment all help to keep you going through the long events.

I judged the Friday Night Magic tourney from 6-9:30 (a short night, as it was 2HG standard to cut down on rounds by at least an hour so the shop could close, count down tills and reopen for the midnight prerelease).  Then, I judged and played in the midnight prerelease.  I played GBr midrange, splashing for 2 Raging Regisaur, and went 4-2 for 10th of 59 players (we ended at 7;30 in the morning). I grabbed breakfast with a couple friends, napped 3 hours and went back for the 1 P.M. I played GB again and went 4-2 for 8th of 39 players and helped score keep and assist in judge calls while not in games.  I skipped 2HG to get dinner and celebrate a couple birthdays with friends til about 2 A.M., then slept in before Sunday's events.  Sunday, I played BW vampires and finished 4-1 for 5th out of 30 players, then played in 2HG at 7.  My partner had the vampires this time and I played UG merfolk with a lot of unblockable dudes and few tricks.  My partner had a Radiant Destiny, 2 Forerunner of the Legion to fetch a Mavren Fein, and a Legion Lieutenant for a consistent clock of his own, but often just gummed up the board with tokens, put lifelink auras (2 Squire's Devotion and a Mark of the Vampire) on my unblockable fish, and kept the board clear enough to win races.  We finished 2nd out of 11 teams (wrapping up at 11 P.M.).

Overall, it was a long, fun weekend full of MTG, food, friends, and festivities.  I pulled 2 of the elder dinos for promos (sweet trade bait for the EDH/Commander players) and a few standard playables to slot into decks.  I also took the time to finish building and sleeving 2 modern decks between rounds and tournaments, played some matches, and even did a couple cube drafts with my legacy cube.  Some of my friends also played Commander, drafted a Powered proxy vintage cube and a variant mono blue cube, and played Type 4.

JesGolbez likes this

3 hours ago, Molimo said:

I've worked graveyard shift for most of the last 13 years, and I take a day or two off on either end of the prereleases to sleep and take care of other responsibilities before and after the weekend.  Caffeine, water, good food and maintaining a fun environment all help to keep you going through the long events.

I judged the Friday Night Magic tourney from 6-9:30 (a short night, as it was 2HG standard to cut down on rounds by at least an hour so the shop could close, count down tills and reopen for the midnight prerelease).  Then, I judged and played in the midnight prerelease.  I played GBr midrange, splashing for 2 Raging Regisaur, and went 4-2 for 10th of 59 players (we ended at 7;30 in the morning). I grabbed breakfast with a couple friends, napped 3 hours and went back for the 1 P.M. I played GB again and went 4-2 for 8th of 39 players and helped score keep and assist in judge calls while not in games.  I skipped 2HG to get dinner and celebrate a couple birthdays with friends til about 2 A.M., then slept in before Sunday's events.  Sunday, I played BW vampires and finished 4-1 for 5th out of 30 players, then played in 2HG at 7.  My partner had the vampires this time and I played UG merfolk with a lot of unblockable dudes and few tricks.  My partner had a Radiant Destiny, 2 Forerunner of the Legion to fetch a Mavren Fein, and a Legion Lieutenant for a consistent clock of his own, but often just gummed up the board with tokens, put lifelink auras (2 Squire's Devotion and a Mark of the Vampire) on my unblockable fish, and kept the board clear enough to win races.  We finished 2nd out of 11 teams (wrapping up at 11 P.M.).

Overall, it was a long, fun weekend full of MTG, food, friends, and festivities.  I pulled 2 of the elder dinos for promos (sweet trade bait for the EDH/Commander players) and a few standard playables to slot into decks.  I also took the time to finish building and sleeving 2 modern decks between rounds and tournaments, played some matches, and even did a couple cube drafts with my legacy cube.  Some of my friends also played Commander, drafted a Powered proxy vintage cube and a variant mono blue cube, and played Type 4.

Geez, somebody was running hot!