Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity for MTG

More WOTC support for big box stores?

8 posts in this topic

The video will be below, but I recently went to Walmart and found a foil, promo-version of Bristling Hydra in booster repack-thing. It had the same art, but it had a unique foil mana symbol design over the text box. These have been standard at Walmart for years, but the rare is usually some big, clunky, timmy-friendly creature with no real value.

This is a standard staple though, played in one of the best decks in the format - Temur Energy. Is it unfair that big box stores get these promos to help sell their product and local gaming stores don't? Or is it a good thing that a standard-playable rare is getting extra printings, because it drives the price down for Standard players?

I know technically this isn't a "money rare," it's a standard-playable bulk rare, but maybe this printing contributed to that bulk status, and maybe that makes it the perfect candidate for this kind of printing? Something that players want but LGS's aren't making much money on anyway? I don't know, what do you think?

JesGolbez likes this

Honestly don't think it's a big deal.  In most markets with game stores, these things aren't competitively priced in comparison, so the fact that the distributors throw in a foil rare on the pack is no biggie.  

My gut tells me the fact that this promo ended up being a playable rare was just a coincidence.  Only time will tell to see what rares we get in these repacks for 2018.  

I agree on all points.

The thing that interests me is that WOTC prints the card specifically for the vendors. It's a totally unique foiling process, and a TON of them must be printed if they are in big box stores. Would it be too crazy to send a few to WPN stores as a way for them to unload their old, unsold boosters as well?

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

I know this is a double edge sword answer. But i feel big box stores shouldnt even have wizards stuff. I mean an lgs needs obviously a brick and mortar PLUS needs proof that they have enough space for events. Big box stores dont hold events, so why are they allowed to sell mtg? I understand not everyone has an lgs which is probably how big bix got involved. I just dont get it as it hurts lgs to some degree.

MTGZuby and ChuckWagonMTG like this

58 minutes ago, MancaveMTG said:

I know this is a double edge sword answer. But i feel big box stores shouldnt even have wizards stuff. I mean an lgs needs obviously a brick and mortar PLUS needs proof that they have enough space for events. Big box stores dont hold events, so why are they allowed to sell mtg? I understand not everyone has an lgs which is probably how big bix got involved. I just dont get it as it hurts lgs to some degree.

You also need to ask, how many people recently have gotten into Magic BECAUSE they saw it and bought it at Walmart/Target vs. happening to randomly find a LGS and game there. I know when I got back into Magic again when M13 came out, I was first buying product at Walmart because I didn't know about any local LGS's nearby. When I saw the little ad about FNM and the store locator, well there ya go. 

Wizards needs to market their product and sadly only selling MTG at LGS's won't help them get there. 

If Big Box stores didn't sell MTG products, I wouldn't own paper MTG cards, because the closest LGS to where I live is over an hour away. When I was a teenager, I played in paper at my High School, but everyone bought their packs from Walmart or, in my case, a local video rental store that sold packs out of a glass case at the counter.  I, literally, would not be an MTG player if cards weren't sold outside of gaming stores, and the "MTG community" in my town wouldn't exist, which when I was in high school consisted of about 15-20+ people.

Granted, there were enough people playing to support an FNM environment, but that doesn't change the fact that there simply wasn't an LGS, and that was 15-20 people that were buying MTG products that wouldn't have otherwise if the packs weren't sold in big box stores. Who knows how many people that adds up to if you count every person in every small town across the country/world?

I fully admit I would never, EVER buy from a big box store if I had an LGS to support, and WOTC should definitely do everything they can to support gaming stores. I do think that big box stores should carry the product though, because like I said, I wouldn't be an MTG player if they didn't.

Though when I was playing in paper, local gaming stores could sell their packs for about $2.50-$3 whereas big box stores were selling for $3.50+, so there was a huge draw to the LGS just to get a big discount on boosters. I understand that a lot of gaming stores are selling their packs at MSRP, and yet they are struggling to make a profit? Honestly, WOTC really needs to get sealed product into gaming stores at a reduced price so LGS's can try to pull people in with lower prices like they did 10-15 years ago.

JesGolbez likes this

I am not against product in evil big box stores...far from it..it's just that MASTERS and other special products should be for LGSs if WOTC really wants to support them. 

That said, the HYDRA is a very cheap card from a widely opened set. The foil is worth $1-2 at most, so it's not like this is driving people to buy from Sphincter*Mart.

MTGandME likes this

12 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

You also need to ask, how many people recently have gotten into Magic BECAUSE they saw it and bought it at Walmart/Target vs. happening to randomly find a LGS and game there. I know when I got back into Magic again when M13 came out, I was first buying product at Walmart because I didn't know about any local LGS's nearby. When I saw the little ad about FNM and the store locator, well there ya go. 

Wizards needs to market their product and sadly only selling MTG at LGS's won't help them get there. 

Thats exactly why i said it was a double edged sword answer. I completely get it that not everyone has an lgs. Its just i feel maybe they should somehow track what cities have an lgs and which ones dont. And the ones that do they should limit the amount of stuff being sold at big box stores. Then the cities that dont have one should get whatever at the big stores. Thats just my thoughts though.

MTGZuby likes this