Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

January 15th 2018 Banned and Restricted Announcement

14 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

With what's been going on lately, I'm most likely gonna record an episode about this on my podcast.....Just when I thought I was out....they pull me back in!

giphy.gif

For some reason it's like they are afraid to print answers to threats and that's why they've had to ban so many cards.  Give us answers to these mechanics

The energy one made sense, but then the others? I guess Scarab God will just dominate now?

Let's face it, Standard will always have a tough time being a diverse format. The card pool is smaller than it used to be, and the strongest subsection of cards usually rises to the tap.

That said, I hope the Play Design team was able to fix some of these problems in future sets. It seems Dominaria is the first set where they will have had major input.

Oh, and I'm glad I got out of standard years ago...

teh_chris, Lasraik and rainman like this

I agree with @JesGolbez, the play design team will hopefully help balance things out a bit. Plus, with core sets coming back, WOTC will be able to respond more quickly with answers without having to water down regular standard sets, so hopefully the bannings will be a little less crazy in the future.

Honestly though, I'm not too upset. This happens every time powerful sets are released, and though they break standard they also give us lots of sweet stuff for Modern. It sucks when the set is being run through standard but they end up being great sets once they rotate. Kaladesh has so much brewing potential for Modern, which is something you can't say about...oh I don't know, Born of the Gods?

12 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

The energy one made sense, but then the others? I guess Scarab God will just dominate now?

Let's face it, Standard will always have a tough time being a diverse format. The card pool is smaller than it used to be, and the strongest subsection of cards usually rises to the tap.

That said, I hope the Play Design team was able to fix some of these problems in future sets. It seems Dominaria is the first set where they will have had major input.

Oh, and I'm glad I got out of standard years ago...

Still haven't got a standard deck since I had to say goodbye to Ursa block when Invasion was released. Energy clearly had to be hit in some way in this announcement, and I understand the logic that they've used to justify taking Ramunap Red down a notch at the same time to avoid a transition to a different one deck format, I was surprised Ferocidon was one of the pieces they chose to ban but I guess time will show us if that was a good call or not.

Hopefully these changes will allow some of the Ixalan tribal themes to see competitive play, but there is definitely the possibility Standard now becomes Scarab God Vs God Pharaoh's Gift Vs Approach of the Second Sun

MTGZuby and Lasraik like this

4 hours ago, rainman said:

Still haven't got a standard deck since I had to say goodbye to Ursa block when Invasion was released. Energy clearly had to be hit in some way in this announcement, and I understand the logic that they've used to justify taking Ramunap Red down a notch at the same time to avoid a transition to a different one deck format, I was surprised Ferocidon was one of the pieces they chose to ban but I guess time will show us if that was a good call or not.

Hopefully these changes will allow some of the Ixalan tribal themes to see competitive play, but there is definitely the possibility Standard now becomes Scarab God Vs God Pharaoh's Gift Vs Approach of the Second Sun

Your last sentence is what worries me the most. Everyone is claiming the format is wide open now, tend to forget about those cards. Now not a lot is stopping them.

2 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

Your last sentence is what worries me the most. Everyone is claiming the format is wide open now, tend to forget about those cards. Now not a lot is stopping them.

I know what will stop them... more bans! B)

rainman, teh_chris and JesGolbez like this

As a viewer and not a player, I look forward to having a more varied metagame. As a player, I'd have little confidence in R&D and investing hundreds into a Standard. 

That said, it still seems Energy is going to be a powerful deck, just nerfed a little bit as to not be oppressive. We hope

MTGZuby likes this