Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

USA Gymnastics

17 posts in this topic

The perpetrator is the lowest piece of scum.  Nothing more to say about that.

This is an excellent opinion piece.  If you think this story was simply a Dr that was molesting children, you are very misinformed.  It was much much more than that.

USA Gymnastics allowed Larry Nassar to prey upon innocent victims. Congress must investigate.

The price to be an Olympian was to submit to abuse — there was no other option. It was that or be cut from the program, abandon your talent, surrender your genius.

To my knowledge, there were only 4 people (inc Sandusky) that served jail time in the Penn State fiasco.  I hope this is different in that justice is served and the victims can get whatever help they need and have some semblance of normalcy.

Congress needs to come down hard on USA gymnastics and the USOC.

I was unsure as to what MSUs role in this was.  Turns out, Michigan State needs a good house cleaning too.

12 questions Michigan State University should answer about Nassar case

The first report was in 1997.  21 years ago.  When the volleyball team refers to him as "he crotch doc" in 2003, you have a massive problem that shouldn't take an additional 13 years to uncover. 

Larry Nassar hearing effectively put Michigan State on trial, forcing Simon's resignation

Seems like MSU administration did what it could to cover this up.  And it seems they weren't taking any of this seriously.

Their actions, in-action and statements around this are nothing short of disgusting.

This is now the 2nd major incident ... several organizations (USOC, Penn St, MSU, USA Gymnastics) aided and abetted monsters and allowed them to flourish.  Those organizations are responsible for children, to care for and teach.  All of them chose to cover up and hide child molesters instead of doing the right thing.  They chose what they considered to be best for themselves.  Those organizations and the people involved should be brought to justice.  All of them.

This should never ever happen.

Edited by Dunnar

The price I paid for taking on Larry Nassar

On Jan. 16, women and girls from across the country began congregating in a courtroom in Lansing, Mich. Some of us were athletes; some of us were not. Some of us were white; some of us were black. Some of us were married; some of us were still in high school. Many of us had never met.

But we shared one core, unifying experience: sexual assault at the hands of Larry Nassar. And we had one core, unifying goal: facing our abuser and confronting the culture that allowed him to prey on us without fear or punishment.

It felt surreal at first — finally putting names and faces to the numbered “Jane Doe” designations I had wanted for so long to protect. But the pain we shared knit us together instantly. We knew what to do when someone began to weep or shake in court, because each of us had cried those tears before. We knew what to say when a grieving survivor expressed guilt or doubt, because we had experienced that same shame.

Over the course of the trial, we became an army determined to expose the greatest sexual assault scandal in sports history. And we succeeded. After 156 of us gave statements, Judge Rosemarie Aquilina sentenced him on Wednesday to 40 to 175 years.

But on Aug. 29, 2016, when I filed the first police complaint against Larry Nassar for sexually abusing me when I was a 15-year-old girl and chose to release a very public story detailing what he had done, it felt like a shot in the dark. I came as prepared as possible: I brought medical journals showing what real pelvic floor technique looks like; my medical records, which showed that Larry had never mentioned that he used such techniques even though he had penetrated me; the names of three pelvic floor experts ready to testify to police that Larry’s treatment was not medical; other records from a nurse practitioner documenting my disclosure of abuse in 2004; my journals from that time; and a letter from a neighboring district attorney vouching for my character. I worried that any less meant I would not be believed — a concern I later learned was merited.

My education as a lawyer prepared me for the process and presentation. But absolutely nothing could have prepared me for the pain of being the first to go public with my accusations in The Indianapolis Star.

I lost my church. I lost my closest friends as a result of advocating for survivors who had been victimized by similar institutional failures in my own community.

I lost every shred of privacy.

When a new friend searched my name online or added me as a friend on Facebook, the most intimate details of my life became available long before we had even exchanged phone numbers. I avoided the grocery stores on some days, to make sure my children didn’t see my face on the newspaper or a magazine. I was asked questions about things no one should know when I least wanted to talk.

And the effort it took to move this case forward — especially as some called me an “ambulance chaser” just “looking for a payday” — often felt crushing.

Yet all of it served as a reminder: These were the very cultural dynamics that had allowed Larry Nassar to remain in power.

I knew that the farthest I could run from my abuser, and the people that let him prey on children for decades, was to choose the opposite of what that man, and his enablers, had become. To choose to find and speak the truth, no matter what it cost.

As the calls began coming in to the Michigan State University Police Department and the number of reports grew, my horror did as well. Victim after victim came forward. Some were abused when they were as young as 6 years old. Some were victimized nearly three decades ago, others only days before my report was filed. Far worse, victims began to come forward who had tried to sound the alarm years before I walked into that M.S.U. clinic to meet the celebrated doctor. Not only were they suffering the devastation of sexual assault; they were suffering deep wounds from having been silenced, blamed and often even sent back for continued abuse.

More than 200 women have now alleged abuse by Larry Nassar. Even more staggering than that number is the revelation that at least 14 coaches, trainers, psychologists or colleagues had been warned of his abuse. What is truly stomach-turning is the realization that a vast majority of those victims were abused after his conduct was first reported by two teenagers to M.S.U.’s head gymnastics coach as far back as 1997.

So how did this happen? How, for 30 years, did this monster manage to prey on little girls and young women without being caught?

Partly it is because Larry was an expert predator. He was calculating, deliberate and a master manipulator. Much of the abuse, mine included, took place with our own mothers in the room, their view casually blocked by Larry, his hand hidden under a towel, a sheet or loose clothing.

But Larry’s cunning is only a small piece of this story. Because most pedophiles present a wholesome persona, they are able to ingratiate themselves into communities. Research shows that pedophiles are also reported at least seven times on average before adults take the reports of abuse seriously and act on them. In many ways, the sexual assault scandal that was 30 years in the making was only a symptom of a much deeper cultural problem — the unwillingness to speak the truth against one’s own community.

The result of putting reputation and popularity ahead of girls and young women? The vile stories you heard in that courtroom this week, all of which could have been prevented.

Now that the world has been transfixed by our case, we must make sure not even one more young woman is preyed upon as I was.

The first step toward changing the culture that led to this atrocity is to hold enablers of abuse accountable. There is much that needs to be done legislatively, including extending or removing the statute of limitations on criminal and civil charges related to sexual assault, and strengthening mandatory reporting laws and ensuring truth in sentencing, so that dangerous offenders are not released early to damage more children.

Most important, we need to encourage and support those brave enough to speak out. Predators rely on community protection to silence victims and keep them in power. Far too often, our commitment to our political party, our religious group, our sport, our college or a prominent member of our community causes us to choose to disbelieve or to turn away from the victim. Far too often, it feels easier and safer to see only what we want to see. Fear of jeopardizing some overarching political, religious, financial or other ideology — or even just losing friends or status — leads to willful ignorance of what is right in front of our own eyes, in the shape and form of innocent and vulnerable children.

Ask yourself: How much is a child worth?

Every decent human being knows the answer to that question. Now it is time to act like it.

Rachael Denhollander is a lawyer in Louisville, Ky.

What is the nature of the "ABUSE" that took place?  Sex?  Fondling?  Girls thought they were getting an exam, but were just being felt up?

I don't know if there was any rape involved.  His "treatments" ... anything from back injuries, hamstrings, to general therapy ... involved fingering.  Not just the front either.

No gloves.  Didn't matter if they were under age.  Treatments were often done in the girls hotel room bed.

Victims share what Larry Nassar did to them under the guise of medical treatment

All of the victims in the Michigan cases were under the age of 16 and three were younger than 13.

Lead Prosecutor Angela Povilaitis also said during the sentencing phase of Nassar's trial that he penetrated his patients' anuses and vaginas with his bare hands.

Seven women who contacted IndyStar about Nassar said the doctor penetrated them in the vagina with his finger, some occurring in hotels and training camps. Five said they were underage at the time and that Nassar did not wear gloves. Three also said that he touched their breasts. Three of the women said the doctor was visibly aroused sexually during at least one treatment.

Aly Raisman said he would 'close his eyes' or 'seem out of breath' while treating her.

Edited by Dunnar

There was a Dr that got busted where I grew up as well.  Very similar thing except he fided boys as well.  Creepy stuff.

There are so many of these stories coming out now that it's hard to keep up with all of it.  :( 

This just happened today. The father will not be charged, thankfully. I know this isn't appropriate in the courtroom, but it would've been great for him to get hold of Nassar.

Chances are good that to whichever prison he eventually goes, the wardens and keepers are going to have to place him away from the general population for his own safety, because they don't generally tolerate child molesters. Yes, there are acceptable behavior standards - even amongst hardened criminals.

Edited by Elovia

In prison, fellow inmates derisively call pedophiles "chesters," "tree jumpers" and "short eyes."

Prison can be a menacing place for child molesters like the former Roman Catholic priest John Geoghan, who was killed in his cell Saturday — or for other alleged pedophile priests working their way through the criminal justice system.

"If you take out a sex offender like this former priest in Massachusetts, maybe the person who took him out thought he'd make a name of himself," said Margot Bach, a spokeswoman for California Department of Corrections. "Taking [a pedophile] out would gain [the killer] a lot more respect among the other inmates."

In fact, Goeghan's accused killer, Joseph Druce, "looked upon Father Geoghan as a prize," and plotted his killing for a month, John Conte, district attorney for Worcester County, Mass., told reporters Monday.

Though prison officials in some Northeastern states question the idea of an automatic social hierarchy among prisoners based solely upon their offenses, most agree that if there is one, child molesters and informants — derided as "snitches" — occupy the lowest rungs.

‘They Usually Don’t Make It’

I would not be lunging after anyone, my revenge would not be impulsive like this.  It would be cold and calculated.

Link where quote was from.  http://abcnews.go.com/US/prison-living-hell-pedophiles/story?id=90004

42 minutes ago, Jag said:

I would not be lunging after anyone, my revenge would not be impulsive like this.  It would be cold and calculated.

This. 

32 minutes ago, Wolphard said:

A good example why allowing victims to speak to the court is such a big mistake. Revenge & justice are so far apart, it's mindboggling some folks think it's the same. 

The father should be charged. Even when taking into account how understandably upset he is, the defendant (or is he past sentencing?) still has rights. When we give in to our gut feeling on things like this, we'll be stoning people to death again before we know it.

Charged with contempt...maybe, I would not.  Nothing else happened though.  He was emotionally compromised, they kept any harm from happening, move on.

You little shit you're in it now
I hope they throw away the key
You should have talked to me more often
Than you did, but no
You had to go
Your own way, have you broken any
Homes up lately?
Just five minutes, Worm your honor
Him and me, alone

too soon?

Reference (NSFW):

Spoiler

Edited by Elovia

4 hours ago, Wolphard said:

A good example why allowing victims to speak to the court is such a big mistake. Revenge & justice are so far apart, it's mindboggling some folks think it's the same. 

The father should be charged. Even when taking into account how understandably upset he is, the defendant (or is he past sentencing?) still has rights. When we give in to our gut feeling on things like this, we'll be stoning people to death again before we know it.

They only spoke during sentencing after he was convicted.  Upon conviction, there is a range of jail time as prescribed by law that he could be sentenced.  This is where victims speak.  In this case, 156 of them.

I will confess, not sure why he was in court again.  He was already sentenced and eligible for parole in 99 years.

3 hours ago, Dunnar said:

I will confess, not sure why he was in court again.  He was already sentenced and eligible for parole in 99 years.

Different set of victims.  The last one was for University of Michigan.  This one was for Twistars, an elite gymnastics club in Lansing (not USA Gymnastics).

Edited by Elovia