Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChuckWagonMTG

MTG Behavior

11 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some help on a video I plan on doing in the near future. I would like to do a video addressing the salt in MTG. I'm not talking about someone being upset because they made a misplay that caused them to just miss that pro tour invite, but more of FNM and low comp REL tournaments. I would like to hear anyones stories about how another player tried to degrade them, their deck, their playstyle, ect simply because they were not winning. I see this a lot and it will quickly turn a player off from playing competitively ever again. I won't be using any names in the video, and you can feel free to DM me if you don't want to post here.

So luckily I haven't dealt with any extreme salt. But to be honest it doesn't take much to make the people uncomfortable. These examples might not be exactly what you asked but I'll post them anyways. I see it a lot in prereleases, which is disappointing because they are the most fun limited MTG, in my opinion.

1. When I first started going to pre-releases, I wasn't fully aware of all the etiquette, but still decent enough with the game to win, and move up to the competitive end of the table. Eventually, I got paired against one guy and we went to cut, and I shuffled his deck. Side note: I suck at shuffling, like really bad. So in order to shuffle I normally hold a deck sideways, cut the deck, and slowly mash/wiggle the two piles together (If the deck is sleeved). But the moment I did this the guy goes "HEY!" and accuses me of trying to peak at his bottom card to figure out his deck. I say sorry, and that I'm trying to shuffle, but he cuts me off and says "Don't think I don't know what you're trying to do" and then doesn't to talk for the rest of the match. Not so much salt, but un-needed aggression. I get he thought I was trying to cheat, but if he did that to someone who was just starting, it would've scared them off.

2. Theres a guy at my LGS, who seems decent, but if you play him in pre-release, holy shit is it a task. He never degrades you or your deck, but he'll sure as hell let you know that you got the "god kit" if he isn't winning. If he's down and you don't let up, every removal you play "Fuck another!", every bomb creature "God, you must have gotten the best kit!", every time he draws a dud card "Fuck, c'mon deck!" *throws hand on table* "pass turn...". Its so awkward to play against, you almost want to let up so you don't have to listen to it...not fun.

3. This is something I've seen more than happened to me, because I don't draft. But when drafting/cube, the one person that says "Wow, someone drafted that trash, what an idiot!", or "You must be stupid if you picked that one!". Seriously dude? You need to say that? fuck off.

17 hours ago, King of Jank said:

So luckily I haven't dealt with any extreme salt. But to be honest it doesn't take much to make the people uncomfortable. These examples might not be exactly what you asked but I'll post them anyways. I see it a lot in prereleases, which is disappointing because they are the most fun limited MTG, in my opinion.

1. When I first started going to pre-releases, I wasn't fully aware of all the etiquette, but still decent enough with the game to win, and move up to the competitive end of the table. Eventually, I got paired against one guy and we went to cut, and I shuffled his deck. Side note: I suck at shuffling, like really bad. So in order to shuffle I normally hold a deck sideways, cut the deck, and slowly mash/wiggle the two piles together (If the deck is sleeved). But the moment I did this the guy goes "HEY!" and accuses me of trying to peak at his bottom card to figure out his deck. I say sorry, and that I'm trying to shuffle, but he cuts me off and says "Don't think I don't know what you're trying to do" and then doesn't to talk for the rest of the match. Not so much salt, but un-needed aggression. I get he thought I was trying to cheat, but if he did that to someone who was just starting, it would've scared them off.

2. Theres a guy at my LGS, who seems decent, but if you play him in pre-release, holy shit is it a task. He never degrades you or your deck, but he'll sure as hell let you know that you got the "god kit" if he isn't winning. If he's down and you don't let up, every removal you play "Fuck another!", every bomb creature "God, you must have gotten the best kit!", every time he draws a dud card "Fuck, c'mon deck!" *throws hand on table* "pass turn...". Its so awkward to play against, you almost want to let up so you don't have to listen to it...not fun.

3. This is something I've seen more than happened to me, because I don't draft. But when drafting/cube, the one person that says "Wow, someone drafted that trash, what an idiot!", or "You must be stupid if you picked that one!". Seriously dude? You need to say that? fuck off.

This is exactly what I am looking for. Any example of behavior at lower level events that could really turn off a newer player. And Prerelease is about as relaxed as a sanctioned event can get. I've have experienced the same thing and it really irritates me. I'm far from a pro, but I have learned how to play a bit over the years, to the point where I top 8 FNM more often than I don't and have made top 4 of the last 3 major events I attended. Luckily, I've been around a bit longer than I care to admit and have an attitude where I simply don't let it bring me down. But I have seen newer players experience this to the point that their hands start shaking. 

I admit to being a poor loser, which is one reason I don't tend to play competitively. I know I was really grumpy during a pre-release I went 0-5 at. I had to apologize to my opponents for being such a grump. Yes, it is an ultra casual event, and I've worked to take it less seriously. The funny thing is that I am fairly casual/lax and allow some take-backs, will point out missed triggers (you forgot to put a counter on that), and so on... I just put too much pressure on myself.

The Levine Curve is real, I've noticed.

elevine41.png.effdc2746e23d72d71cfc782bf5a3f2d.png

rainman and ChuckWagonMTG like this

I've seen decks get thrown across the store, deckboxes as well. Seen draft decks get immediately trashed after losing. People blow up after a combat trick. People burst to tears from losing. People walk in for a game of EDH, lose in 10 minutes and storm out mad. I've seen people berate their wife before and the list goes on.

ChuckWagonMTG and JesGolbez like this

15 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

I've seen decks get thrown across the store, deckboxes as well. Seen draft decks get immediately trashed after losing. People blow up after a combat trick. People burst to tears from losing. People walk in for a game of EDH, lose in 10 minutes and storm out mad. I've seen people berate their wife before and the list goes on.

Any physical violence?

MTGZuby and ChuckWagonMTG like this

This is good (if you can really call it that) stuff. Thank you everyone for the input. I may not make a big impact with the video, but if I can make an impact at all, it will be worth it.

I think the worst thing I've seen is the being a poor loser syndrome.    Completely takes the fun out of being on either side of the table.  Magic has a large component of luck, and we all have had games where we flood, and we all have games where we are mana screwed. 

I'm a firm believer that our responsibility to the community is to not be a d-bag when it happens to us.  Laugh it off.  If the guy looks across the table apologetically, say, "It happens to everyone," and cheerfully discard to hand size and pass the turn.  No reason to ruin their night (or yours).

Lasraik, rainman and ChuckWagonMTG like this

If you can't enjoy the game unless you're winning, you probably need to find a different hobby, one that is fun for you more than roughly 50% of the time. Make yourself happier, make the other people playing Magic happier; just go and do something else

Lasraik and ChuckWagonMTG like this