Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Sad day for those of us who still prefer physical media

10 posts in this topic

Best Buy will no longer sell CDs after July.  I would have been a little more disappointed about this if I had not gone there recently and seen their pathetic selection of CD's but it's still sad news.  

I know most people have digital subscriptions and stream their music, but I still buy CD's and prefer having physical media.  As a family we go to CD's stores and local CD shops and browse their selection, feeding the massive CD changer @Dunnar was awesome enough to send to me a while back.  

I'm still holding onto the prediction that physical media will make a comeback in the next 2-3 years.

Haven't bought a CD in over a decade.

I just changed car, to a 6YO thing, which happened to have a 6 DVD changer in the glovebox. It plays mp3's to will take around 8000 songs. Doubt i'll be buying any more CD's again soon either.

I still prefer to own physical copies as well, but the type of music I listen to usually isn't sold in store like Best Buy anyway so it's not big deal for me. I've been buying online (or from FYE) for many years now. :)

I will say this though, CDs have fallen way behind on the quality they can offer. You just can't get the same kind of sound on CD as you can with an uncompressed audio file. If physical media is going to make a return, it's going to have to be a new media type anyway. Honestly, the fact that music never made the jump to blu-ray isn't promising. That could have been a huge leap in terms of audio quality but the fact that record labels never made the transition to THAT seems to indicate that it's not worth investing in physical media.

Vinyl is getting popular though, so maybe that will take off. It's too expensive for me personally, though.

I still buy physical media.  We don't have a Best Buy, and I'm not experienced or knowledgeable enough to know if they're a major retailer for music CDs anyway.  I do know that the few times I've been in a Best Buy while on vacation, and saw the prices, I came to realize that the store was horribly mis-named.

Vinyl is making a big comeback, but it's pretty expensive.  Hell, just a decent turntable can get pretty pricey.  For me they are too big and I prefer the sound of CD's to vinyl.  

I love music, all kinds except country.  I play, I sing, I KNOW music.  Quality has never been a problem I could not solve with volume.  haha

Elovia likes this

38 minutes ago, Jag said:

I love music, all kinds except country.  I play, I sing, I KNOW music.  Quality has never been a problem I could not solve with volume.  haha

One of the record albums by the rock group Mountain, on the album jacket states (paraphrased), "this music is meant to be played loud."

Yeah, it was better that way. :D

/shout sings ... "Mississippi Queen. You know what I mean. Mississippi Queen. She taught me everything ..."

Edited by Elovia

Unlimited data was a thing, and we used our phones for  music exclusively.  Its not a thing anymore and we busted out all the old CD's.  When unlimited data becomes standard the CD's will go away for good.

Like I said before though, quality has never been much of an issue for me.  I don't just listen, I interact with music vocally or musically.  Music is fun for me.  Its not a fine wine, its a pizza.

Edited by Jag

The story is completely misleading.  While its true that physical (17%) is edging out digital downloads (15%) ... both are completely dwarfed by streaming services (65%)

The headline should be something to the effect that music buying habits have changed to streaming services.