Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

B and R Announcement 2/13/18

17 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MTGZuby said:

Very curious to see how this shapes the format now.

I think it's cool having Jace unbanned, it'll lead to some interesting decks and meta.  But it's not going to be good for the format.

Modern was in such a good place, why even bother? *sigh* I don't want to be one of those paranoid doomsayers, I'm not going to say this will destroy the format, I just don't see why you would bother changing the healthiest format in Magic at the moment. What is there to gain from the risk? You either break the format, or you get lucky and you don't? Don't really see the up side.

King of Jank likes this

40 minutes ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Modern was in such a good place, why even bother? *sigh* I don't want to be one of those paranoid doomsayers, I'm not going to say this will destroy the format, I just don't see why you would bother changing the healthiest format in Magic at the moment. What is there to gain from the risk? You either break the format, or you get lucky and you don't? Don't really see the up side.

I don't think it's too scary. They set precedent by rebanning Golgari Grave Troll. If they get out of hand they go back to jail.

1 hour ago, Affinity for MTG said:

To sell Masters 25 boxes and packs. Now there's more of a reason to buy it!

King of Jank and Lasraik like this

I find this beyond disheartening. Modern was so diverse, and now it is going to be auto include Jace in any blue decks, or splash blue for Jace.

18 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

To sell Masters 25 boxes and packs. Now there's more of a reason to buy it!

I've seen people argue that Jace was put in M25 because they were going to unban him, not that they unbanned him to sell M25 packs. But I think it is both reasons. They probably planned to unban him in the future so they reprinted him, but then had more incentive to unban him after IMA failed, knowing the secondary market price of Jace would explode if they unbanned him.

*sigh* WOTC had to just stick its head in a healthy format to sell more Masters 25 

Jace, the Wallet Sculptor - There are so many tools to deal with him (discard), and Modern is a very fast format, so this might not be as scary as people think. Still, fighting against a resolved/protected JTMS is miserable, and the extra brainstorms will add time to matches.

Bloodbraid - I'd actually be more afraid of this, especially given how much value the card can get... Cascade into Kolaghan's Command? *barf*

Not sure if I agree with the un-bannings, but I am looking forward to seeing how the format reacts.  It seems like Wizards does these sort of things, they'll do something unpredictable to get attention and revert it back when everyone is at their wits end.  So Bloodbraid and/or Jace will be re-banned in... 3 months?  

If they want to do something really unpredictable, they should make Bloodbraid a common so it's Pauper legal.  Now that would be fun for a few months.

On 14/02/2018 at 9:16 PM, Lasraik said:

Not sure if I agree with the un-bannings, but I am looking forward to seeing how the format reacts.  It seems like Wizards does these sort of things, they'll do something unpredictable to get attention and revert it back when everyone is at their wits end.  So Bloodbraid and/or Jace will be re-banned in... 3 months?  

If they want to do something really unpredictable, they should make Bloodbraid a common so it's Pauper legal.  Now that would be fun for a few months.

I definitely think Jace could easily get back on the ban list really fast. Bloodbraid Elf is probably just fine though

Lasraik likes this

On 18/02/2018 at 5:40 PM, Lasraik said:

Any chance they will go back to Restricting cards in formats and not banning them?  Or is that effectively banning them?

The general line from people close enough to Wizards to know what they're talking about is that having restrictions as well is "too complicated", particularly for the 'new players' for whom all Magic rules and policies must be tailored