Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Grim Dawn

58 posts in this topic

Nah ... just different.  I started a Nightblade and combined with an Occultist, it can make a pretty mean Witch Hunter.  I haven't devoted a whole lot of time to him, and your character is probably higher level than mine at this point.  I've just been having fun with my conjurer ... it's pretty brain dead as long as I don't stand in the clouds of stuff, manage aggro, and kite when needed.  I don't really get the thrill of killing creatures first hand ... hence why I started the Nightblade.  I've read Saboteurs can be awesome, too, if you combine a Nightblade with a Demolitionist.  Warders (Soldier + Shaman) and Witchblades (Soldier + Occultist) can be fun too.  A Blademaster (Soldier + Nightblade) may be fun if put together well.

Here is a link to a Build Compendium ... wherein you can check out certain builds posted by others to see if they sound like they would be fun for you.  Find a build that interests you, then check it out to see its pros and cons and how to get the most out of it.

You can be successful with pretty much any build through Normal-Veteran difficulty.  Some builds start to break down at the higher difficulties, when you spread your points too thin, or try to accomplish too much out of the limited points you have.

Dunnar and Lasraik like this

My conjurer reached level 85 last night (highest attainable at this point), and I'm still only part way through Act II in Ultimate difficulty with plenty more to go.  I still need one more shrine for that last devotion point.  I've been progressing a lot slower through Ultimate by choice, and have been revisiting decent farming areas multiple times hoping for better legendary item drops.  I ran into the aetherial nemesis, Valdaran, and he kicked my ass hard several times before I was able to bring him down through attrition.  Key to that fight was judicious use of the command, "run away!"  (screaming like a little girl while running with arms flapping just adds points for style)  I also have nemesis rep with both the undead and the chthons, and I'm not looking forward to chance meetings with either Moosilauke the Chillwind or Benn'Jhar the Colossal, respectively ... at least not until I get geared up a little better.  I'm running marginal resistances for Ultimate difficulty, so even common mobs have a chance to seriously deplete my health pool.  I picked up a pretty cool sword from Salazar, and I'd post a screenshot if Las ever lets me post more than 0.07MB images. :P

Lasraik likes this

Ill look into that when I get home, using the admin panel on my phone is a pita

Edit: Are you getting an error that the file size is too big?  Should be fine, I have unlimited checked

Elovia likes this

Well shit, I think it's a global setting somewhere.  On each usergroup I have unlimited but I'm thinking there is a global limit set someplace that I have to find.

Elovia likes this

Almost a month since the last post, and time for an update ...

I haven't quite finished Ultimate difficulty with my Conjurer, but I'm very close.  I've cleared the Necropolis multiple times (too easy) and all I have left is the final main quest boss and the Bastion of Chaos (oh and still working to finish the super secret quest).  Alt-itis kicked in and I started playing my Pyromancer again.  This time I reconfigured her skills: I dropped the pets (been there, done that better on the Conjurer) and focused more on using dual pistols, lots of health and energy recovery (combo of high regen rates, proc heals, and leech), and high single and AOE DPS to push through and quickly finish fights ... and amazingly it works! ... almost too well.  Currently character level 68 and rapidly blazing through Act III on Elite difficulty.

One of the cool things about this character is she's able to use several Legendary items found by my Conjurer, so that helps quite a bit.  ... that and I know the maps and quests much better so I know what to expect and have a better strategy going into each one.

The reconfigured Pyromancer does something like 16k dps (as reported by the character screen) which is more than enough to insta-gib hordes of trash mobs.  My current resistances are all over the place (some overcapped, others minimal) so I have to be careful going against certain boss and hero mobs; I'm still working on optimizing each resistance to near cap.  I have backup items that I keep in inventory  for a quick swap if I know, for example, I will be up against a poison or cold damage boss.  The Pyromancer's health bar rarely dips below half, and if it does, tons of life leech and heal effects kick in to bring it back amazingly fast.  I also added augments to equipped items that will allow me to absorb energy from enemy spells.  That 16k dps comes at a huge energy cost, but now I can stand in the [insert color] stuff on the ground and blast away because it recharges my energy bar, which is depleted by my damage output, which fills my health bar.  Cool synergy.  I can also face tank most hero and boss mobs just because of that same reason ... (not yet low enough rep to start seeing nemesis mobs - working on it tho)

The character build posted on the Grim Dawn forums that is closest to my Pyromancer build (close but not quite the same) is Cryodacry's Brimstone Pyromancer.

Some day I'll have to get back and finish Ultimate difficulty with my Conjurer.  Even though she's still missing some top shelf kit, she should be able to finish because the build is just that capable ... almost boring ... almost ... in the meanwhile, other characters may find the gear she wants/needs.

tl;dr ... the game continues to be super cool because of the incredible number of ways to develop a viable character, and each new variant can play in a vastly different style from the last.

Lasraik likes this

Three year old post necro ... almost to the day!

I recently started playing Grim Dawn again.  I stopped last when Microsoft decided without my consent that I needed to update to Windows 10, which then through a series of actions required a full system wipe ... which resulted in me losing all of my previous character progress.  I was too depressed to continue, but soon found other diversions.  In the meanwhile, I kept buying and adding the game's DLC as it came out for the eventual day I would start playing again.  Which was yesterday.

Re-reading the above thread brought back a lot of memories.  Some of the links no longer work, which is unfortunate, but there are still plenty of resources out on the greater internet to get back up and running.  I seem to have forgotten most of the things I wrote (as expertly sounding as they were) earlier in this thread.

Did anyone else get very far with their characters?