Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MTGandME

The Codex Magica 2.0

4 posts in this topic

So I spent the better part of the day working on a replacement for the Codex Magica.  While I love the look and feel of the original, as configured it was no longer expandable and only held around 25,000 cards.  I'm now up to somewhere around 60,000 and while I'd eventually like to pick up or build a library file for the collection, until then, I've come up with a good compromise solution.

In the attached photos, the wooden drawer is the original Codex Magica.  Rescued from the curbside about 5 years ago, it served well as an MTG storage cabinet with some simple modifications (dollar store foam core cut to line the wood and act as row and set dividers) at a total cost of about $6.

The white shelves in the new photos are the same as this shelf, just a different color:

https://www.target.com/p/15-unit-shoe-organizer-espresso-room-essentials-153/-/A-50245998

They used to sell them at Lowes too, but I can't find them onsite now.  They run $30 each, but we already had one.

To store the cards, I originally checked out BCW's site to buy some bulk 800 count boxes (priced at $28.00 per 50), but shipping is only 'free' after a larger purchase, and they would have been around $60 (still a good deal), so instead I found a seller on Amazon.com that had 50 boxes for $40 shipped, so we settled on that.

To make the labels, there's a font online called Keyrune which is supposed to have all the set icons in TTF format, but I had issues with newer set symbols, so I used a combination of the font and transparent logos from the mothership, put them in a powerpoint slide, and then printed them 9 slides per sheet.  A couple simple cuts and some glue stick and you've got a set box.

The system's still far from perfect; because I collect playsets, for example, most large sets once complete will take 1.5 boxes or so. But for now, there's only a couple of sets that don't fit and I still have some gift boxes to store those.

20180217_201744.jpg

DWR7mSCU0AAAXvL.jpg

DWQLkrxVQAIZCrI.jpg

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

Looking good! I may have to adopt this system as I currently use hotel boxes. But my LGS who used to sell them to me is closed and to buy them online is ridiculously expensive ($50 per hotel box??). Only problem with this solution for me is the room. I need a bigger office....

MTGandME likes this

22 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

Looking good! I may have to adopt this system as I currently use hotel boxes. But my LGS who used to sell them to me is closed and to buy them online is ridiculously expensive ($50 per hotel box??). Only problem with this solution for me is the room. I need a bigger office....

I saw that BCW makes card storage hotel boxes, and I was seriously considering buying them until my wife showed me her show storage box, and I realized I could get something that holds twice as many cards, is easily far more sturdy, and was only slightly more expensive. :)

Room is always a concern.  What I like about these is that they support stacking (through dowels) and can be anchored to the wall, so they can be stacked a bunch of times. 

Lasraik and MTGZuby like this