Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

No Man's Sky

45 posts in this topic

I'm following my personal policy of not pre-ordering any game ... including this one.  It looks interesting, but then again, so did Spore; post-release and play bore out quite a different outcome.  I like exploring in games, but I also like that exploration to have meaning ... where the knowledge gained, and the time spent, contributes to the game progression or character development.  I don't know if I would enjoy a pure exploration sandbox ... just to see what can be seen, or what combinations the developers allowed in procedural generation.

YMMV

Lasraik likes this

I'm interested in it too, highly interested to put it mildly.  But like Elo I been burned way too often, Spore is a brilliant example (and is why I consider everything EA says to be utter bullshit).  I really hope that this game will be as good as it seems, but my heart has been broken way too many times to believe.

the-x-files-i-want-to-believe-print.jpg

Dunno why but there is something about that game that just stops me being interested. It could be that I get the feeling that the entire game is all about breadth at the expense of any depth.

Edited by Pasanda

7 minutes ago, Jag said:

I certainly hope not, although she might seem ftp at first, the emotional trauma exceeds the cost of a pay up front whore by 10 fold.  However, this does seem to be in line with a typical ftp model.

:o Well played, sir.  Well played.

picard_clapping.gif

My big concern with this game is the actual depth of progression and gameplay.  I have discovered that too much sandbox, gets boring.  This is actually how I might have imagined a start trek game might be.  With the exception that each explored system had perhaps some crazy quest chain randomly generated with several potential outcomes and thousands of different random quest lines that determined how the system politics/war/destruction might play out.

3 hours ago, Jag said:

My big concern with this game is the actual depth of progression and gameplay.  I have discovered that too much sandbox, gets boring.  This is actually how I might have imagined a start trek game might be.  With the exception that each explored system had perhaps some crazy quest chain randomly generated with several potential outcomes and thousands of different random quest lines that determined how the system politics/war/destruction might play out.

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote their, including imagining that this is how an ST game would look.

... And your new sig FTW!!!

Some interesting things.  Development team is 10 people.  Crazy small.  The entire game is built with mathematical algorithms instead of a hand crafted design.  It is an mmo, but not really since it is so large.  I imagine as people move to the center of the galaxy your chance to meet people improves.  There are race factions, lots of crafting, piracy if you like.

One thing missing it seems is the ability to create or change a place beyond naming things.  It looks fun, but still rather lacking in depth.