Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

Post your ride

31 posts in this topic

Post a pic of your car, or something the same as it. Explain why you chose the car you have, and whether it delivers or not?

Are you proud of your ride, or is it just to get you from A to B. 

What's your perfect car, given any budget.

Edited by Pasanda

Fair disclosure:  the image below is not of my vehicle, but it accurately represents the make, model, and color.  I stole the image off the internet because I'm too lazy to wash and snap a pic of mine.  Besides, it's the dead of winter here and getting a wash is complicated.   2016 GMC Sierra Denali.  It is much too fancy for a workin' man such as myself.  It replaced a 1991 GMC Sierra a little over a year and a half ago.

2016-gmc-sierra-denali-003-1.jpg.b53bbaedaf8944014b1add98db362180.jpg

Edit for other questions:

It gets me from A to B, and I don't mind.  I need a truck to haul stuff that cannot otherwise be hauled in other types of passenger vehicles.  If I didn't need to drive a truck, and could have any other vehicle as my ideal ride, it would probably fall within the two-seater roadster convertible sports car class (go fast, in style).  I don't have a specific model in mind.  A few years ago I was looking at the BMW Z4, but am no longer.  I'm open to suggestions. :D

Your turn ...

Edited by Elovia

Teaser_alt.jpg

Also not my exact car, but basically the same, a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage SE.  My previous car was a 2006 Smart ForTwo Diesel, and before that it was a 2005 Pontiac Wave hatchback.  I enjoy small cars, especially when you fill the tank.  This thing has a tiny 35L tank but easily gets 450km in the winter, and if we're driving conservatively in the summer we've been able to stretch 700km on a fill.  The car is comfortable enough, can competently cruise on the highway at 120kph.  I've put about 175,000km on it already; it's been driven all over the eastern seaboard. 

My dream car would be a Tesla S; all the fuel efficiency of a small car in a large sedan, coupled with insane mode.  We'll probably get an electric vehicle when the Mitsu finally dies. :)

Elovia likes this

Same as Elovia, full disclosure: Middle of winter and my car is covered in salt and its in the garage which is also covered in winter grime.

2014-honda-civic-si-sedan-test-review-ca

2014 Honda Civic Coupe SI - Manual transmission.  This is a fully loaded, high gas mileage with decent pick up, point A to B commuter vehicle.  It does the job very well and to be honest, I would feel odd in something fancier.  This replaced a 2004 Honda Civic with almost 200k miles.

Tesla ... enough said.

Edited by Dunnar
Elovia likes this

2013 Honda Civic sedan here, same shade of blue! 

My previous car car was a 2008 that I drove until the repair was more than the car was worth (especially since I had one very bad accident with a distracted driver that warped the frame). 

The model seems reliable, has a good balance of affordability and mileage. I was eying the Fit as it was smaller and had a more dog-friendly back area, but it was not tall-friendly. Jes_Golbez’ knees were on either side of the steering wheel....

JesGolbez and Elovia like this

2011 Nissan Micra.  Smokey grey colour.  Tough bastard I'll give it that considering the cars that have gone into it, nippy too.  And can fit a surprising amount of kit in there such as all my larp gear when I go a-larping.

Also, usual disclaimer about the image not being my car (right colour though).

micra.jpg.706f01476740dde37c5c90bfd802f6f9.jpg

Elovia likes this

2012 BMW 525SE Tourer

Been watching these go by for years and always liked the look of them. The Saab was 10 years old this year, so i swapped it for one of these (Photos were still up on the traders website. So this is actual car).

I don't drive much, as i walk to work most days. I average 3500 miles per year.  When i do drive, it needs to be really easy and really comfortable, and this car does that for me. Everything is automatic, except the steering. I went for the walnut and cream leather interior, which looks like a tarts boudoir. For the money, it's a fuck-load of car.

[EDIT] Something our US cousins may not realise is that the vast majority of UK cars have a manual shift gearbox. I have no idea why it is this way. Although it probably has to do with the difference in fuel economy and the price of fuel here. The balance is shifting (he he), as auto gearboxes have become a lot more fuel efficient of late.

bmw-525d-2-0-se-touring-with-navigation-and-leather-246749392-1.jpg

bmw-525d-2-0-se-touring-with-navigation-and-leather-246749392-3.jpg

bmw-525d-2-0-se-touring-with-navigation-and-leather-246749392-10.jpg

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik, JesGolbez and Elovia like this

1999 Toyota Camry

Full disclosure: This image is not mine, but kind of represents my car.  I say kind of because mine has many dents in it from a big hailstorm that happened a couple of years ago. As the broke college student that I am, the dents actually made it more appealing to me because it meant that the car was going to be cheaper just for cosmetic reasons.

It gets from point A to point B.  Nothing special about it whatsoever.

I don't really have a "perfect car" in mind.  I'm a cheapskate so whatever gives me the best return on investment is the "perfect car" to me.

35525964.thumb.jpg.6ec650e7bf0d6d4696158ba7728118b7.jpg

Elovia and Lasraik like this

2004 Infinity G35 GTX.  Its my fun summer car, still in excellent condition.  A Toyota Sienna Minivan, and a Jeep Liberty.

Elovia likes this

We only drive 2 at a time, haha.  The infinity sits in the garage all winter, the jeep has 4WD but gets crap gas mileage.

But um, yeah..if the ice caps melt my property value skyrockets...sooo

Scion xB 2008 (wife) and a Toyota Sienna Minivan 2016 (me), she doesn't like to try and park it, too big.  Didn't really want a minivan when I got the first one back in 2008 but the auto open sliding doors are great for the kids.  Don't have to worry about them denting the other parked cars.  Or getting out in the rain to open/close them.  The 2016 is the third one we have purchased.

Elovia likes this

First things first. In the UK, what we call petrol, you guys in the US call gas. Generally speaking, we get 4 grades of fuel (excluding electric). Unleaded Petrol, higher octane unleaded, diesel, and much rarer is LPG (or Liquid Petroleum gas).

Can i ask what the popularity is, for users of regular or unleaded gas, vs. diesel cars? 

In the UK, for the past 20 years, Diesel and petrol have been about the same popularity. But recent research has declared diesel as being particularly bad for the environment, and we are seeing an age-old return to petrol (gas) cars.

So how does that compare to the US?

Diesel cars are very rare, diesel pickups maybe 20% of pickups or less, and all of the large semi trucks are on diesel.  We still have some very few natural gas or electricity.

I think almost everybody uses the regular unleaded because its cheaper, other cars demand the higher octane for performance.

Is it normal to have one car per family in the Netherlands? 

Obviously not in the UK, at least in Jazz house. 

Usually everyone of driving age has a car. My 16 year old is getting his license soon. So the Mrs will be getting a new car, my son will get the 2010 Altima, and I'll be getting a fat insurance bill.

Here it is usual for most households to have 2 cars it seems.  My personal experience that is, not anything statistical.  Girlfriend has her own car, a Vauxhall Corsa 3-door.

1 hour ago, Wolphard said:

If money wouldn't be an issue we'd probably go for a Volvo S90 as the family cruiser, and I'd love a resto-modded 1970's Dodge Challenger.

My buddy growing up had a 70 Challenger.  Wasn't in the condition of the car you posted, but never the less, it was a sweet car.

2 of my best friends dads were big into restoring cars.  One had a 65 Mustang:

Image result for 65 pony mustang

The other had a Mustang Cobra, think it was a 68:

Image result for 68 mustang cobra

His dad had a 8 car garage filled with beautify restored cars.  He was always working on something.  I ended up with a 69 Camaro for short while.

Image result for 69 camaro ss

These experiences taught me some valuable lessons that I still retain to this day.  Cars are machines.  Machines break down.  I do not like fixing cars.

Also, when they break down, they cost you time and money.  Now I value reliability above all else, hence the Civic. 

Financially, you will never get out of a car what you put into a car. 

I also had a job that was an hour away from my house.  I quickly got sick of driving and do not get pleasure from it.  Now I buy a car and drive it into the ground because to me, its just transportation.

Elovia likes this

Interesting ... no others who drive a pickup truck? Without pulling official numbers from the internet, light-duty trucks (and SUVs) make up the majority of vehicles on the road here ... most likely due to our weather and the usefulness of 4/all-wheel drive.

I wouldn't consider a 2-wheel drive except as a summer knock about, and then it is difficult to justify the purchase for only being able to drive it less than half the year (at best).

Edited by Elovia

My wifes car. Kia Sportage. Kia are really popular over here, due in part to their 7 year warranty. It's a great car generally, although I really don't like the steering, which is way too light. But my wife doesn't seem to mind.

We lease this car, which was a sweet deal at the time. The lease is up in August, so we're looking for something else with a low boot loading height (boot=trunk for those who don't speak proper English), as we're due a new dog in the Autumn.

Same car as photo, but not car in photo.

$_86.JPG

Elovia likes this

45 minutes ago, Elovia said:

Interesting ... no others who drive a pickup truck? Without pulling official numbers from the internet, lifht-duty trucks (and SUVs) make up the majority of vehicles on the road here ... most likely due to our weather and the usefulness of 4/all-wheel drive.

I wouldn't consider a 2-wheel drive except as a summer knock about, and then it is difficult to justify the purchase for only being able to drive it less than half the year (at best).

We have it on good reliability in the UK, that pick up trucks are for builders and people with small winkies.

Elovia likes this

1 hour ago, Elovia said:

Interesting ... no others who drive a pickup truck? Without pulling official numbers from the internet, lifht-duty trucks (and SUVs) make up the majority of vehicles on the road here ... most likely due to our weather and the usefulness of 4/all-wheel drive.

When the Jeep dies, a Truck will be its replacement.  We really need one, but I have a hard time getting rid of a perfectly good vehicle.  Not to mention they are expensive as hell!.  25k gets us something with a 150k plus mileage in our area.  Its absolutely ridiculous.

We will be replacing the van this year, most likley with a 2018 Toyota Highlander lease.

10 hours ago, Pasanda said:

We have it on good reliability in the UK, that pick up trucks are for builders and people with small winkies.

Guilty on one or more charges, your Honor.  ;)

Pasanda likes this