Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Sea Dogs; Age of Pirates; Pirates of the Caribbean

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

No internet connection required. It's an older single player game.

Before you invest in the series, which is not at all that expensive, download and try the ERAS2 mod linked earlier to see if it fills your cup of tea; it isn't for everyone. The mod is a standalone game by itself, and can be had for the very low price of download and setup time. Then, if you like it and are interested enough, you can look into purchasing one or more of the series.

I've only played the first in the series (Sea Dogs) and a little of the Gentlemen of Fortune mod of City of Abandoned Ships before sinking a lot more time into the ERAS2 mod (based on an enhanced Gentlemen of Fortune v2 for City of Abandoned Ships). The ERAS2 mod is like a more complete version of (commercial) COAS. And the mod continues to be actively developed, with bug fixes and improvements.

Edited by Elovia
Dunnar likes this

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, Elovia said:

Ah ... don't sink them.  I've found the real money is taking them and selling them (and their goods) in port.  The sell value is usually greater than repairs to my ship.  Be sure to hire crew and an officer or two before you leave; they can be found in the tavern.  That way you have someone to drive the extra ship back to port.  I also found it does not pay to repair them before selling; I almost always took a loss in repairs before selling them compared to the increase in "repaired" ship value, so learned not to do that.  Oh ... important note:  make sure any officers you assign to extra ships are somewhat loyal, because if they're not, the dirty bastards will sail off with your ship in the dead of night.  Been there, done that.

Some of the early quests available come from pirate captains who will seek you out in the tavern; they'll have a stolen goods quest you can do that will usually net good cash.  As evidenced in earlier posts, I did that and ended up having to manually sail back to port because I was too overloaded to fast travel.  Really great money for the time invested.  After a while, these stop coming.

As you gain ranks, the ports will start offering higher (lower?) classes of ships for sale.  I prefer to take better ships on the high seas, and "trade up" ... then sell my old clunker back at port ... but to each their own.

Also, check out the Mod Options on the options page.  Some of those will help make the game easier or more challenging, and can be changed on the fly within a game.

Only  way  I have been able to sink them is to lure them close to the forts.  Don't think I have hit anything with my cannons.  The guy I picked for starter has a class 3 with 24 12lbs per side if I remember right.  I fire and see water splashes about 100 ft from my boat and about 300 ft short of the pirates.  Tried boarding and die quickly, think the most crew I have been able to hire was 2 officers and 94 men.  I have tried the early quest 2 or 3 times and can never get close to were I need to go before time runs out.  Not sure why but my boat moves at a snails pace or seems to when I am on the travel map.  Like 2 days pass just to get out of sight of the harbor.  Maybe just me...

Edited by Boag

31 minutes ago, Boag said:

Only  way  I have been able to sink them is to lure them close to the forts.  Don't think I have hit anything with my cannons.  The guy I picked for starter has a class 3 with 24 12lbs per side if I remember right.  I fire and see water splashes about 100 ft from my boat and about 300 ft short of the pirates.  Tried boarding and die quickly, think the most crew I have been able to hire was 2 officers and 94 men.  I have tried the early quest 2 or 3 times and can never get close to were I need to go before time runs out.  Not sure why but my boat moves at a snails pace or seems to when I am on the travel map.  Like 2 days pass just to get out of sight of the harbor.  Maybe just me...

Sounds like you may have some penalties right off the bat for having a ship higher than your abilities allow. Do you have red numbers in parentheses next to your skill values? You may need to sell the class 3 and temporarily downgrade to a more reasonable class 5 or 6 (depending on your navigation skill). Right-click over your navigation skill to see which class of ship is appropriate to your level (at least that's where I think the info should be - just off the top of my head). Also as mentioned before, the more you sail around, the more navigation skills you'll learn, and the more times you fire your cannons, the better you'll get with them. Speaking of which, while your skill is still low, it may be useful to target manually in 1st person mode from on deck, than to rely on auto-aim in 3rd person ship mode.  The aiming reticle will turn red when the targetting is such that your shots should hit the ship's hull; raise a little higher if you want to hit a ship's sails rather than the hull. Use grape shot to cut down the opponents crew numbers before boarding (also works to a lesser degree to damage sails, but not as well as chain shot). Upgrade your spyglass to reveal the target's status ... including crew numbers ... to determine when you may have superior numbers and a better chance of winning boarding combat. Don't forget to have weapons on your ship for your crew to use; their longevity depends on it. :D 

Some items and books will provide skill bonuses, so keep an eye out for them; they work by being in your character's inventory. You also get bonuses from your officers, but not at 1:1. Some bonuses are capped, and may seem puzzling when reverse calculating them (i.e., as show by green numbers in parentheses next to your skill values). There are more bonus-providing items than you can recieve bonuses from, so it would be a good idea to focus on those that are lightweight (so you can carry more) and shore up shortfalls with officers assigned to various duty-positions on your ship (interestingly assigned on the "characters" screen, not the "ship" screen).

Sailing into the wind can be excruciatingly slow. You'll make better progress tacking, and depending on your ship's point of sail stat.

Sometimes you aren't given a lot of time to get to the stolen goods point, and you usually have to know where you need to go so you can head right there. Even so, you can fail if you didn't have favorable winds. The consequences of failure can range from simple disappointment to extortion and possible combat confrontation (you may get killed). I took the quest one time and met the contact on his ship, heard all the details and then declined ... you can imagine how well that went over. Long story short, I successfully defended myself and claimed his ship for myself. This is not something I recommend, because I got very lucky and positioned myself in a convenient choke point where I could only be attacked by one at a time, and pistoleers couldn't shoot me without gunning down their mates first ... a very rare occurrence.

Hope this helps. :D 

Posted (edited)

Figured out my speed problem.  And some how managed to sucker a class 1 ship to run aground in range of patrol ship.  The patrol ship killed off the crew and I captured it.  I still can't hit anything with my cannons.  But now have a class 1 with 100 24lbs cannons... :D  I'll have to sell it because of the upkeep.  Now if I could actually hit something with a cannon or hire a crew, still have less than 100 men, I would be dangerous.

Ps: I am still rank 1 and have earned zero experience as far as I can tell. With about 30 mins play time.

Edited by Boag
Elovia likes this

Posted (edited)

If you click on any of your skills on the character sheet, the box for experience should show your earned progress on that skill. You can do the same for your rank, personal and ship abilities (I'm probably not using the correct terms); you know, the list down the right of the character screen (e.g., weapons, stealth, navigation, cannons, etc.), as well as the tabs below the P.I.R.A.T.E.S. abilities (e.g., basic defense, advanced defence, fencing, etc.). This is something that is not well explained, but is handy for keeping track of your progress. There isn't a single, overall exp bar as found in many RPGs.

Gain enough "levels" in the skills contributes to gaining rank.

Edited by Elovia

Posted (edited)

On the ship details screen, right-click on the box that identifies the type of cannons installed on your ship. One of the information bits in the pop-up window will tell you your cannon's max range. This range is a best case scenario and only applies to cannonballs launched at optimal angle (~45 deg) and favorable winds. Chain shot will fly and be effective about half that distance, and for grape shot is about a quarter that distance. Those are my rules of thumb. I'm not completely sure, but I think explosive shot is effective around three-quarters range. In all cases, the closer the target, the more precise the shot group will be, and the greater probability for good damage.

Use your spyglass to determine target range. I usually wait to shoot until the target is well within range; it takes a lot of volleys to put the hurt on your ship (depending on which cannon damage model you selected in the mod options). Somewhere I read that a wise Captain doesn't waste cannonballs on fish. I thought it humorous as well as educational. :D 

In fact, I almost never shoot plain ol' cannonballs ... I don't even carry them around unless I acquire them from a boarded ship I intend to sink or let go (assuming the captain and crew surrendered). I prefer chain (for slowing down those from whom I want to run away), grape (as prelude to boarding), and bombs (more effective but more expensive than cannonballs).

btw ... Good on ya for capturing a Class 1. Last night I had a small pirate lugger pull up broadsides to my 3rd rate and then proceed to blast away. I gave him a load of bombs, which took off more than half of his hull, and asked him politely if he wanted to surrender. He declined so I gave him another set which promptly sank his ship. I laughed as I sailed away while he swam, clinging to whatever flotsam was left behind.

Edited by Elovia

Well, after restarting the game several times.  I discovered I am not great, the class 1 is the starter ship for a capt.  I tried a different one with a class 4 and am doing ok, I guess.  Have captured 4-6 small class 6 pirate ships and sold them so have 120k or so.  Lost a lot of stuff before I figured out that the quarters you go to when you select cabin is not yours but the crews.  :P I dropped a lot of gems in the chest several times and a red pistol then a couple of days later its empty.  Have 3 officers that all hate me, not sure why.  Maybe I'm being too good, capturing pirates instead of being one.

Just a lot more of a learning curve than I expected, guess reading the manual would help.

Elovia likes this

Posted (edited)

Officer loyalty builds when you do things in line with their personalities as represented by their reputation. Officers with poor rep (e.g., scoundrel, swindler, etc.) become more loyal when you do bad things such as open seas robbery. Officers with good rep (I don't know these levels because I'm not good enough at heart to achieve them myself) like it when you complete good tasks such as running cargo for merchants or the moneylenders, donating to the beggars and church, etc. You have to be careful in who you bring on board, and choose those who will be compatible with your operations. Officer loyalty is just one more thing to keep track of while playing.

I tend to be marginally bad, because the big money is in taking ships and selling them. I think the penalty is much less if you have a letter of marque and your victims are ships of nations with whom your sponsor nation is at war. I don't think anyone cares if you beat up on pirates ... even the pirates.

There are officer quarters on most ships, but the "go to cabin" menu command should take you to the captain's cabin, and you should be able to store goods in the chest. There may be more than one chest, depending on the ship and cabin. I tend to sell everything I don't intend to use on my person or on board. I'm not much of a collector, and prefer my wealth to be as liquid as possible ... cash money.

And don't beat yourself up too much because IT IS hard to get started ... even on the easiest difficulty level. Luck plays a huge part right at the beginning. Last night I created a new character (long-time associates know I'm an alt-aholic) with Diego somethingorother, because I wanted to try a Spanish start. His ship was fairly damaged and I wasn't able to fully repair it after initial in-port activities. First thing I encountered as I went to sea was a horrific storm that further damaged the ship and left me on the cusp of sinking. Yup ... that's a restart.

That link I provided earlier about tips to get started has really good and helpful advice. The early game is hard, but it eventually gets much easier once you're up on even keel (so to speak) and you become more self-sufficient ... especially when you bling yourself up with skill enhancing trinkets and books. That's when the game gets good. I bumped up the difficulty in my game because I found the mid-game got to be too easy. But when I bumped it up, the early game was much harder too.

Don't forget mod options on the options page can drastically change difficulty, too, and if you're so inclined F11 has "helpful" options too. I avoid F11, but it is there and this is a single-player game ... so do what you can to make it more enjoyable.

Edited by Elovia

Posted (edited)

I was browsing one of the local street vendor's wares this morning, when I happened across this awesome little sword.  I had to pay over 450k PoE for it, but it is quite a bit better than the katana I was using (medium weapon quest reward).  I later spotted another for sale at a different vendor, and snagged that one, too, to upgrade one of my fighter's weapons.

OFC.thumb.jpg.dd270ac0f0c4c40aeafeccd27cb8b613.jpg

I'm constantly learning new things in this game.  Also today I learned that, when transferring crew from one ship to the other, the left-click transfers a single crew member whereas a right-click transfers ten at a time.  Lot of undocumented features ... probably due to the many hands that have changed and updated the game/mod over time.

I started upgrading my Man of War, too ... I got the essentials (i.e., speed, maneuverability, point of wind) taken care of, and she now handles much better, but still not as well as my 3rd Rate.  Oddly enough, I have not seen a Class 2 ship in game yet.  Hmmm ....

Edited by Elovia

Posted (edited)

Is there a way to change your POV in first person ship mode?  I can't see anything while on deck of the frigate that I found. ;)  Makes aiming the cannons a PITA.:angry:

Nice, I stay with the light weapons myself.  Have the katana on a fighter.

If I can't get a better view on the class 3 I'm going to switch back to my starter class 4.  Although I do love sinking the little pirate ships in 2 broadsides.

Which port is the best for buying bigger ships?

Edited by Boag

Posted (edited)

Well, the joy of that last find was short-lived.  Heh ... I found something better.  I tend to mix up which weapon I use to advance in rank quicker.  Each weapon skill level requires progressively more usage.  So I play with one, then switch up to build skills with another having lower requirements.  These are the "best" weapons I've found so far for each weapon group.  I use quotes because there's some subjectivity to that claim.

The Light Shell-hilted cutlass is fairly common, but I haven't found a light weapon that does better damage.

LtShellCut.jpg.b5ff2757e99ef53afbbf493eab412fcf.jpg

I found the Chimera for sale late this afternoon, and I've since put a couple copies of it in my storage chest.  These bad boys cost almost 750k each.  Of course, I found them right after I'd outfitted my four fighters with their own copies of the Owl Faced Cutlass. /doh!

Chimera.jpg.fbfffe73341ab4a94561edb8ac8f3425.jpg

I'd say the Dussage Cutlass is uncommon, and I've seen it for sale only occasionally.  Both this and the Chimera above will nearly one-shot kill enemy sailors during boarding combat when used with a heavy attack.  I can't say the same for the Light Shell-hilted cutlass.

Dussage.jpg.794313fbad318264e25bf4d616ce2165.jpg

I agree ... some ships are just a PITA to see out of during ship combat.  If the lamps, ropes and sails don't get in the way, then the high sideboards do (I'm not a nautical fella which is why I don't use the correct lingo - I'm just ign'ant ;)).  On my 64-gun 3rd Rate, I have to climb stairs onto the stern deck to see over the sides, and looking aft is still awkward (see wut I did there?).  That said, the sides are somewhat low on my ship.  Look around to see if there is a ladder or stairs to help you see out.  As far as I know, there is no 3rd person perspective (similar to land or boarding combat) during ship combat operations; you have to use either first person view or third person of the ship.  The lack of a left- and right-strafe is quite a hindrance.  I only use first person ship view now just to scope enemy ships.  My cannon and accuracy skills have capped at 100, so I just use auto target from third person ship view and I do well.  For my style of play, speed and guns are the most important criteria in ship selection.  After that, hull and sail durability come next.  I've captured a couple (Class 3) Royal Fortunes and really considered keeping them because they're a fast ship with decent stats; they're the race-horse of the big ships.  Unfortunately, my improved 64-gun 3rd Rate is all around better since it has extra cargo and crew quarters which gives me more flexibility in what I choose to do with it.

I don't think there is any one town or port that is better than the others when it comes to ship selection.  Each town tends to sell their nation's ship types.  That said, there is at least one pirate port (La Vega?) that comes to mind that doesn't have a shipyard.  Side note:  you've probably figured this out by now, that all individual ship types have a range of stats they can have; this makes the game a bit of a gear grind for the ultimate min-maxers.  There will almost always be a Class 7 at each shipyard, and most of the selections there will be Class 6.  Larger ships tend to be less and less common the bigger you go.  I rarely see Class 3 ships for sale (not counting the ones I sell off), and Class 4 are a bit more common but still rare.  True to form, Class 5 ships are more common than Class 4 but less common than Class 6.  The only Class 1 I've seen that wasn't a friendly in port defense was the one I took from the Dutch.  And as I mentioned previously, I'm yet to see a Class 2 at all anywhere.  A screen shot of my statistics shown below confirms the rarity of the larger ships.  The Class 6 stats are a bit skewed because, when encountered, they usually turn tail and run and I usually let them go (unless they do something stupid like engage me in combat); they're usually not worth the effort to chase down since their "for sale" price barely covers the repair bills they cause. 

Stats.thumb.jpg.eb328a9a17fea1b051cda1fe89210e79.jpg

btw ... it took me a while to find it so I'll pass this info along:  F8 will take screen shots and put them in the same folder as the START.exe file ... wherever you put that.  Poking through the code, it looks like jpg is the default format, but bmp and tga may also be available (if you want one of these other formats, you need to hand edit the line in the start.ini file).  I haven't tried yet, since jpg is fine for me.  I've been playing at 1920x1200 resolution because the UI is too small for my old eyes when played at my monitor's native resolution of 2560x1600.  The smaller resolution yields jpgs that are around 650kb, which is manageable for this site.

/ramble off

Edited by Elovia

SoT is apparantly a let-down, with little progression and zero story. From what I've read it's more of a party game than even an MMO. I've completed a career in Pirates!, which was enough nostalgia. So, I completed this download yesterday. I just downloaded everything in the Mega folder. I am not completely sure, but the folder seems to be an update for an earlier version. Couldn't get it to work anyway. I used 7-zip on the .001, .002, etc. files, and the folder that emerged seems to contain a workable version of the game? Clicking that seems to fire up the game anyway.

Am I set?

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Wolphard said:

SoT is apparantly a let-down, with little progression and zero story. From what I've read it's more of a party game than even an MMO. I've completed a career in Pirates!, which was enough nostalgia. So, I completed this download yesterday. I just downloaded everything in the Mega folder. I am not completely sure, but the folder seems to be an update for an earlier version. Couldn't get it to work anyway. I used 7-zip on the .001, .002, etc. files, and the folder that emerged seems to contain a workable version of the game? Clicking that seems to fire up the game anyway.

Am I set?

From your description, I'm not sure what you've done ... but you're an IT fella so I suspect you know what you're doing.  I only extracted the first in the archive which then extracted everything else from the other archives on its own.  Yes, you should end up with a stand alone game.  Read the SetupNotes.txt and all the other readme txt documents.  You may need to run either or both of the vcredist_x86 executables.  You can also run the directx executable just to make sure you have all the components.  When I tried watching the intro video, the game crashed ... so I don't advise it.  Just hit the ESC key to escape out of it.  Then select the option for "no intro videos" or somesuch.  The resulting file folder should look something like the following:

dir.PNG.467e6d11db0d8dc4c07315431d4c664c.PNG

And then it is just a matter of playing.  You'll want to set your options, and know that when you create a player profile, you'll have to set the options again.  That's one of the quirks ... it saves a copy of the options with each profile, so you can have a different set of options for each character if you like.

The game directory includes a map and the manual ... both are worth reviewing.  Lots of information in previous posts in this thread, as well as at the links provided, and worth reviewing.

As mentioned before, the first character the game will present to you will be Peter Blood, and it is not advisable to take that character as your first.  Note: his introduction quest is interesting after you've gotten some experience playing the game, and may be worth going back and starting a new game just to experience it, but don't take him as your first.  Scroll through and try other captains; each start with different ships and gear, although the basic intro (except Peter Blood) are all the same.  During character creation, carefully consider the P.I.R.A.T.E.S. attributes; they will be fixed for the game.  You progress by using and advancing skills, both personal and ship. 

You also can purchase maps in game from vendors (the maps are then brought up with the M key by default) so you can find your way around the various island/overland areas.  Treasure maps are occasionally offered by a special tavern customer (he doesn't always appear).

And most importantly, have fun.  The early game is hard, and isn't helped much by the game's quirks (compared to modern games).  You'll soon get the hang of it.  Combat can be tricky, but as I recall you're a swordsman IRL so you should have fun with it.  Success takes quick reaction to your opponent's visual cues on what they're about to do.

One thing that took me a while to remember was that if you have an icon appear in the upper right corner of the main screen, you can use your space bar to do what that icon represents, as sort of a quick command.  Otherwise, you'll hit ENTER to bring up the menu and navigate it with your arrow keys.  Once you've made a selection, hit ENTER again.  The quick command bypasses the need for navigating the menu in order to do the context sensitive thing the game thinks you may want to do.  That'll make more sense the more you play.

Save often in multiple slots in case you get into an intractable position and want to back up to an earlier time.

Welcome aboard, Captain!

Edited by Elovia

Posted (edited)

Note to self:  do not engage in combat during a storm.  Just don't do it.  The storm will not end, even after combat concludes, and your ships will sink from the storm-caused damage.  Do not do it.  Reload to an earlier save if this happens (again).

:wacko:

Edited by Elovia
Boag likes this

Posted (edited)

I decided to start a new character (you're not at all surprised a bit, I imagine).  I selected Englishman John Strong as the character, and I bumped up the difficulty to (4) Lieutenant.  I got a bit of a lucky start in that one of the available officers in the tavern was one who specialized in fighting.  Also lucky in that the local governor's first quest had me head into the jungle to take out a one-man pirate gang.  I also did the "find a lost gem" quest for the moneylender, and in doing so saved a frightened young lass from an assault by three hoodlums.  Not a bad start.

John Strong starts with a Class 6 ship, the Pride of Boston, which provided an initial platform for trading.  I decided that this playthrough I would try the good and honorable way.  I'm starting to reconsider.  I can easily upgrade my reputation to Heroic, but even though my officers are also good, raising their loyalty has become a chore.  Playing a good character with a suite of loyal officers is quite a challenge.  Scratch that; it's only a challenge if you like having money and if you don't like hauling cargo for a pittance that could be made compared to the more swashbuckling lifestyle of taking ships as prizes.  Actually, I'm starting to wonder WTF I even need loyal officers ... and then I remember I need someone dependable to drive the prizes home to be converted into sweet, cold, hard cash ... errrr ... a portion of which gets donated to the church, of course.

I'm up about Rank 10 now, and climbing.  I think the worst of the new game HARD challenge has passed, and I can now concentrate on more than the simple "hand-to-mouth" earnings and steps ... and with the possibility of sailing more freely sitting on the event horizon.  I've stashed about 100k PoE in savings, and I picked up a treasure map along the way ... and if it leads to treasure similar to the one found by my Nathanial Hawk character, then I'm set.  Hint:  these are well worth doing, if they pan out ... easy couple or three million PoE worth of treasure ... I had to make many trips back and forth to my ship's chest just to haul it all away ... and we're talking piles and piles of coins of every denomination, and gems and jewelry (the expensive kind) in large stacks, too.

As of this writing, I've just acquired my first Class 4 ship (to much disapproval and derision from my officers ... hey! screw you, man! ... they started it).  It isn't quite as good as my current Class 5 (yeah, the officers didn't like me trading up for that one, either), stat-wise, except that it has a few more guns (same size) and can hold a slightly bigger crew.  It isn't quite as fast, nor as maneuverable, either.  Cargo space is on par, as are hull and sail ratings.  I'll probably keep it as a second, just in case ... scratch that ... nah, I'll probably just sell it and use the cash to buy more skill-bumping trinkets.

p.s. a recent minor update is available for download (same place).

Edited by Elovia
Dunnar and Boag like this

Tired of your officers (fighters) not giving you enough personal space and you're constantly shoving them out of your way? Yeah, me too. Good thing a modder already thought of this and his mod is included in the ERAS2 mod, but isn't prominently documented.  You can issue a limited set of commands to your fighters:

H ... Hold in place (my experience is this command may need to be applied more than once)

G ... Go / Follow me

C ... Charge into combat (like Leroy Jenkins)

These commands work anywhere your fighters appear (e.g., boarding combat, in the captain's cabin, overland travel in cities or jungle, in shops, etc.)

I've taken lately to having my fighters hold up in an open area so I can move around more freely. They'll reset to following you when you zone.

More stupid fighter management tricks:

You know how your fighters are always setting off the city guards while you're trying to sneak through an enemy city after hours? This after trekking through several sections of dangerous jungle? Dismiss them from their fighter duties before entering the city and you'll have it all to yourself (plus the guards, of course). Then just reassign them when you leave and they'll reappear at your side when you zone (you can force a zone by entering/exiting the city gates).

Have a tough group of skeletons blocking your path ahead and you know you'll have a tough time getting past? Have your fighters hold in position, then shove them around such that they're lined up shoulder-to-shoulder. Sneak ahead to where the skeletons are and use classic pulling techniques to kite them back to the group. With luck, and if your fighters are outfitted with massive damage firearms, the fighters will gun down the enemy before they get within sword range.

I'm sure there are many ways to make the fighters more effective using their commands.

Note to self: when rescuing the damsel in the jungle, give her enough time to get out from between your squad of bullies and the brutes accosting her. Otherwise, she can be killed in the crossfire. Ooops. I kind of felt a little bad about that one. On the plus side, the jewelry on her corpse was worth more than her cash reward would have been. I am, in no way, condoning killing her for a greater reward ... that's just wrong. ;) 

Edited by Elovia
Boag likes this

On 4/15/2018 at 1:23 PM, Elovia said:

... and if it leads to treasure similar to the one found by my Nathanial Hawk character, then I'm set.  Hint:  these are well worth doing, if they pan out ... easy couple or three million PoE worth of treasure ... I had to make many trips back and forth to my ship's chest just to haul it all away ... and we're talking piles and piles of coins of every denomination, and gems and jewelry (the expensive kind) in large stacks, too.

I realize now that my sample size for making such judgement was too small to be statistically significant. :wacko:

Over the past week or so, I've collected just shy of a half-dozen treasure maps and found their respective treasures.  Most have been decent, but the quality of them appears to be going downhill.  Just tonight, the latest treasure chest was filled with junk: a bunch of trash swords, a stack of ceramic pottery and 99 silver cups (who does that???), and a stash of pipes.  You could literally count the exact second my disappointment set in ... this, after a hard fought running series of skirmishes against skeleton hordes. The loot from the skeletons was an order of magnitude better than the loot in the chest.  So ... while treasure chests are usually worth seeking, they can be a bit of a risk, and you may find one that doesn't pay off dividends for your time invested.

I can't complain too loudly.  I'm sitting on over 11 million PoE (cash on hand) with an easy couple or three million worth in stacks of coins in my captain cabin's storage chest.  I've outfitted all five of my elite fighter squad members with Chimera swords (just shy of a million PoE each).  And I'm still running around in my 64-gun 3rd Rate with my Man of War as my floating warehouse and combat support ship.  On the plus side, I have come across a number of Class 2 ships this past week ... none of which I could safely capture (i.e., they were English military defending English town harbors - often tagged along with a Class 1 or multiple Classes 2 and 3).  I will get my chance, and when I do ... :lol: