Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Dominaria Buy a Box Promo

12 posts in this topic

It feels tacky..... I love the card but making it a very limited promo is annoying. It was fun when it was alternate art and they could always do alternate art foils of legendaries to appeal to the commander crowd... 

Lasraik and King of Jank like this

Brawl? ew...

"How can we push standard even more? How about we make a standard-only, 100-card, singleton format, where large chunks of their decks rotate out every so often!"
- Wizards, probably

I actually think it's neat that WOTC is using the promo in this way, because they do need to sell product and maybe other BaB promos are 'meh'. A good incentive to buy a box and a great card, although not broken or necessary for anything. 

MTGandME likes this

1 hour ago, JesGolbez said:

I actually think it's neat that WOTC is using the promo in this way, because they do need to sell product and maybe other BaB promos are 'meh'. A good incentive to buy a box and a great card, although not broken or necessary for anything. 

Hey JesGolbez, I actually agree with you. I don't think this is going to break any formats.  If a player wants the promo, they could just buy  box, keep the box sealed, or trade it or whatever. 

Plus, we always buy a box. :)

JesGolbez likes this

49 minutes ago, MTGandME said:

Hey JesGolbez, I actually agree with you. I don't think this is going to break any formats.  If a player wants the promo, they could just buy  box, keep the box sealed, or trade it or whatever. 

Plus, we always buy a box. :)

That said, WOTC should have just made it not Standard-legal, and then it would prevent some of the outcry...

The ironic thing is that people are basically saying "I hope this thing we get for free isn't worth anything." I mean, if you're buying a box, then you want this to be valuable, because then you can just sell it and get a massive discount on the box.

On the other, more-likely hand it's probably going to be valueless, in which case what's the big deal?

Obviously it sucks for people who want the card but don't want to buy the box, but look at it this way: Commander decks are limited print and they have unique commanders you can only get in the box. So, depending on how many of these are printed, it's really not much different than that.

I don't like the idea of promos used this way, but I understand why they are doing it.  Just don't want it to become the norm.

28 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

I don't like the idea of promos used this way, but I understand why they are doing it.  Just don't want it to become the norm.

It seems the outrage mobs will have their way, given recent comments by WOTC (MaRo) and others. The whiners win again :P

18 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

It seems the outrage mobs will have their way, given recent comments by WOTC (MaRo) and others. The whiners win again :P

I've been steering clear of outrage mobs (Twitter and Reddit) so I'm out of the loop.  What were they upset about now?  Were they in favor of or against the promo?