Jazz

Jazz and the Ankle Operation of the Future!

30 posts in this topic

As some of you may or may not recall, I broke my ankle in three different places about 7-8 years ago. Aside from not going to those places again (ba-dum tish), I had to have metalwork put in to hold it all together, plates and wiring and the like. Anyway, my ankle had never felt right since, I figured it was just the way it was going to be but then found it actually getting worse over the last few years. Turned out the metal plates (which only have an effect for the first six months, after that the bone is supposed to have healed up enough to not need them) had broken, and it had broken when the bones were still healing, resulting in one of the breaks to still be there along with broken plates rolling around in my ankle. This, naturally, was Not Good and I have been on the waiting list to have it sorted. Finally got my date of operation last night, 9th April. As they don't actually know what they will be doing until they get in there and take a look around to see the state of things I don't know how long I will be at the hospital or how long the recovery will take, but the absolute minimum they will do is take the metalwork out which if its the only thing they do will require me to stay overnight and be recovering for two week. Considering that they are considering a bone graft to sort out the break it may be a lot longer.

So I thought I would tell you all! Considering the pain its been putting me through and the effect its been having on both legs its none too soon too! So, anyone want to take bets on what they do, how long it takes, how much I cry, etc? :D

Lasraik and ChuckWagonMTG like this

Wow ... that is quite the journey.  Sorry that you have to go through that.  I'd pray for you, but I know you find such things silly.

Hope you finally get this put behind you.

What on earth did you do that you broke 1 ankle in 3 places?

I'll put in a good word for you anyway ;)

Jazz likes this

There was no follow up?  No checks to make sure the healing was spot on?  I am sorry you have had to go through this.  The ankle is a complicated joint, but the tech they have now has progressed so much from 8 years ago so maybe it goes better this time.  Good luck!

Jazz likes this

Our forum's own $6M man. After the operation, and while you're still moving slow, be sure to make springy-sprongy noises to accent your new super powered mobility.

Edited by Elovia
Jazz likes this

Oh man that sounds painful to have ankle problems that long.  How limited have you been because of it all these years?

Jazz likes this

8 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Wow ... that is quite the journey.  Sorry that you have to go through that.  I'd pray for you, but I know you find such things silly.

Hope you finally get this put behind you.

What on earth did you do that you broke 1 ankle in 3 places?

I'll put in a good word for you anyway ;)

I always appreciate having a good word put me in for me. :) I like to say mountain climbing is what did it, but actually it was the walk back to the car, walking down the slope I suddenly lost balance, looked down and my foot was pointing in the wrong direction...

8 hours ago, Jag said:

There was no follow up?  No checks to make sure the healing was spot on?  I am sorry you have had to go through this.  The ankle is a complicated joint, but the tech they have now has progressed so much from 8 years ago so maybe it goes better this time.  Good luck!

I did it in Italy, and I must say the after care there sucks. I have suspicions that at least one of the breaks was due to them as well, when I was taken in they assumed it was just dislocated and snapped it back into place once I had filled in the forms without doing an x-ray first. They only realised that it was broken when they took x-rays afterward and then told me "it has been broken in three different places, we are going to have to operate". Didn't even know what they were actually doing until the day of the operation, and afterwards they left me in a hospital bed for a week without even putting my leg up, had to use one of my own pillows to prop it up to stop the swelling. Once I got back to the UK the doctors here couldn't open the files on the CD they had given me and had only their own x-rays they took then to go off.

7 hours ago, Elovia said:

Our forum's own $6M man. After the operation, and while you're still moving slow, be sure to make springy-sprongy noises to accent your new super powered mobility.

If I am not able to jump in slow motion after the op I will be very disappointed!

5 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Catch you on the other side. It's been emosh.

*crying hugs*

3 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Oh man that sounds painful to have ankle problems that long.  How limited have you been because of it all these years?

Once I had recovered it wasn't too bad. I had assumed at first that the problems I were experiencing was just due to how bad I had done it and was something I would have to live with, but over time I found it getting significantly worse until I found I could barely walk when I had been on it a while and was literally limping around. Thought it was arthritis setting in (since its something you hear people developing after breaks) and I have indeed developed arthritis due to the condition (there is no gap at all in the joint now) but that was because I still had a break! Oh, and the x-ray I saw showed the screws popping out of the plates like you see on broken door hinges and the like. Currently I can walk around okay assuming I haven't been overdoing it, running I can manage a jog but it starts to hurt, and I get muscle twinges in it every now and again. I sound like an old man! :'(

9 hours ago, Pasanda said:

I take it LARPing is off the menu for a while. Those foam poleaxes can be a nightmare!

Well... we'll see. :P I won't be fighting but assuming I can get some schmucks to help carry me around I could maybe still attend, maybe, possibly, depending on status after op...

8 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Wow, what a nightmare.  Get better!

Thanks, working on it! :D

Bah, now he has the best excuse to LARP as the King.  And be carried around on lift.  :D

But seriously hope everything goes well.

Jazz likes this

If amputation is required, ask for a peg that goes with your long coat and tri-corn. :lol:

Edited by Elovia
Jazz likes this

I'm alive and back home after a successful operation. Will post pictures later when more rested but essentially they did a bonegraft and put support in to try to straighten it. Have to keep off it for 8 weeks, and be careful after that. Will still have arthritis in it still though. :(

Lasraik likes this

On 3/22/2018 at 8:56 AM, Jazz said:

As some of you may or may not recall, I broke my ankle in three different places about 7-8 years ago. Aside from not going to those places again (ba-dum tish), I had to have metalwork put in to hold it all together, plates and wiring and the like. Anyway, my ankle had never felt right since, I figured it was just the way it was going to be but then found it actually getting worse over the last few years. Turned out the metal plates (which only have an effect for the first six months, after that the bone is supposed to have healed up enough to not need them) had broken, and it had broken when the bones were still healing, resulting in one of the breaks to still be there along with broken plates rolling around in my ankle. This, naturally, was Not Good and I have been on the waiting list to have it sorted. Finally got my date of operation last night, 9th April. As they don't actually know what they will be doing until they get in there and take a look around to see the state of things I don't know how long I will be at the hospital or how long the recovery will take, but the absolute minimum they will do is take the metalwork out which if its the only thing they do will require me to stay overnight and be recovering for two week. Considering that they are considering a bone graft to sort out the break it may be a lot longer.

So I thought I would tell you all! Considering the pain its been putting me through and the effect its been having on both legs its none too soon too! So, anyone want to take bets on what they do, how long it takes, how much I cry, etc? :D

I Feel your pain, man. I took the express lane out of a tree back in 2007. Broke my ankle in multiple places, my leg, and my back. It took 3 surgeries to get me to walk again. After plates, screws and two bone grafts, I found out a couple years ago that one of the joints they meant to fuze was forgotten. Now they want to go back in and tear everything out and start over. I've decided that the pain is't quite to the point of wanting to go through it all again. Godspeed in your recovery! 

Lasraik likes this

On 3/22/2018 at 8:56 AM, Jazz said:

P.s. If they do a bone graft, ask if you can have a pain pump. Not sure what the technical name is, but it's a catheter that is inserted in your leg and goes directly to the nevers going down your leg. Greatest thing I ever had. 

Lasraik likes this

13 hours ago, ChuckWagonMTG said:

P.s. If they do a bone graft, ask if you can have a pain pump. Not sure what the technical name is, but it's a catheter that is inserted in your leg and goes directly to the nevers going down your leg. Greatest thing I ever had. 

Your nevers go down your leg?

No need to boast fella. We're only human.

Glad to hear you're still with us Jazz. Good luck with the recovery. On the plus side, great excuse for loadsa gaming.

Lasraik and Elovia like this

21 hours ago, ChuckWagonMTG said:

I Feel your pain, man. I took the express lane out of a tree back in 2007. Broke my ankle in multiple places, my leg, and my back. It took 3 surgeries to get me to walk again. After plates, screws and two bone grafts, I found out a couple years ago that one of the joints they meant to fuze was forgotten. Now they want to go back in and tear everything out and start over. I've decided that the pain is't quite to the point of wanting to go through it all again. Godspeed in your recovery! 

Wow that's awful.  It's tough going back for another round when you don't quite feel like it's necessary.

@Jazz glad to hear everything is going well!

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

Thanks all for the kind words. :) They did put something in my leg that meant for over a day I didn't feel any pain there whatsoever, inserted in the the back of the knee apparently. Now though the pain is there, and the twinges...

ChuckWagon, that sounds intense! I just got the ankle and even that seems hard enough, can completely understand not wanting to go back through it all again! My ankle was apparently sliding to the left and arthritis had set in, so it was gonna get worse if left alone which is why I went ahead and did it as soon as I could. Taking the chance to catch up with gaming when I can get myself in front of a screen. :)

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

17 hours ago, Jazz said:

Thanks all for the kind words. :) They did put something in my leg that meant for over a day I didn't feel any pain there whatsoever, inserted in the the back of the knee apparently. Now though the pain is there, and the twinges...

ChuckWagon, that sounds intense! I just got the ankle and even that seems hard enough, can completely understand not wanting to go back through it all again! My ankle was apparently sliding to the left and arthritis had set in, so it was gonna get worse if left alone which is why I went ahead and did it as soon as I could. Taking the chance to catch up with gaming when I can get myself in front of a screen. :)

Planning on Far Cry 5, Jazz? Lol