Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

New Format: Brawl

11 posts in this topic

A new format has been announced: Brawl  What are your thoughts?

braw.PNG

"Standard isn't all that popular, how can we make it more interesting and appealing?"

"Hey, let's start a casual format to appeal to Commander players so they buy more Standard cards"

"Great idea, lets roll with that!"

JesGolbez likes this

On 3/23/2018 at 4:57 PM, JesGolbez said:

I suppose it is one way to turn Standard cards and draft chaft into something, but why not just play normal EDH? *shrug* some people might try it, and maybe it'll be a thing for Magic Arena. 

This is good news for draft chaft and those cards those cards that would otherwise be useless that you get in packs and booster boxes at least.  

teh_chris likes this

On 7/7/2018 at 6:44 PM, Lasraik said:

From what I've been reading, it doesn't look like Brawl is doing all that great.

I've seen a bunch of passing mentions to this too!  Anecdotally have noticed the same thing... there were one or two people who built decks at the store, and I told them I'd build one if everyone was playing, then it just disappeared.  I guess these things take time though, so only time will tell.

It's a tough sell to EDH players who aren't already interested in Standard.  Most EDH players I know play EDH because they can play casually and use cards they have laying around.  If it's only Standard legal that turns most of those people off (from what I've seen/heard/read ect.) 

So what's the appeal?  Standard players are already invested in playing Standard, not in another format.  EDH players probably don't want to be limited to Standard only cards.  

So where does this leave Brawl?

I think I understand what Wizards was trying to do with Brawl and widen the audience for Standard.  Standard is where Wizards makes their money and they want more people interested in it, but I don't see this format surviving.

Where is the post making Pauper an official paper format and releasing Pauper Masters for $10 a pack?  :D 

On 7/11/2018 at 11:45 AM, Lasraik said:

It's a tough sell to EDH players who aren't already interested in Standard.  Most EDH players I know play EDH because they can play casually and use cards they have laying around.  If it's only Standard legal that turns most of those people off (from what I've seen/heard/read ect.) 

So what's the appeal?  Standard players are already invested in playing Standard, not in another format.  EDH players probably don't want to be limited to Standard only cards.  

So where does this leave Brawl?

I think I understand what Wizards was trying to do with Brawl and widen the audience for Standard.  Standard is where Wizards makes their money and they want more people interested in it, but I don't see this format surviving.

Where is the post making Pauper an official paper format and releasing Pauper Masters for $10 a pack?  :D 

The appeal?

1. Newer players might not have the older cards

2. Brawl has a much flatter power level.

3. EDH turns can get degenerate and take hours. Brawl games feel much more like our 60-card casual decks...more elegant and more like a 'real' game of Magic.

4. Brawl allows the use of less-powerful cards that EDH players don't touch

I think Brawl is an attempt to get Standard/Draft players to keep playing with some of the other cards they don't use. 

Lasraik likes this

3 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

The appeal?

1. Newer players might not have the older cards

2. Brawl has a much flatter power level.

3. EDH turns can get degenerate and take hours. Brawl games feel much more like our 60-card casual decks...more elegant and more like a 'real' game of Magic.

4. Brawl allows the use of less-powerful cards that EDH players don't touch

I think Brawl is an attempt to get Standard/Draft players to keep playing with some of the other cards they don't use. 

Some good points.

Getting older cards isn't really tough, and often times cheaper than Standard cards.

Power level is flatter, but for EDH players is that generally (from a regular EDH players perspective) a good thing?

You got me on 3.

And 4.

JesGolbez likes this