Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Facebook has been collecting call history and SMS data from Android devices

8 posts in this topic

It's not enough to just avoid Facebook and not install their app.  If a trusted loved-one does, your information is collected through them.  This shit just pisses me off.  It's one thing to give consent to  having your personal information tracked; it's another to track personal information without that consent.

This business model needs to die ... fast.

Jazz, Lasraik and Jag like this

The unfortunate thing is you are technically consenting when you download the app. Android and, I assume, Apple both give you screen that looks similar to this:

cap-quyen-ung-dung-android.png

The problem is, pretty much every app requests permission to personal data, so if you refuse to use apps that request it then you might as well not have a smartphone.

I'm not defending it by any means, it's very much NOT okay, but technically you are giving permission to track you when you click OK.

Lasraik and Jazz like this

Facebook has been one of the worst offenders with online privacy and earning millions selling your personal information and data.  I'm glad it's finally a story that the mainstream media is covering and making people second guess their online habits.

Jazz likes this

This is why I refuse to use the Facebook app, when it asks for all those privileges I automatically uninstall it.

Lasraik likes this

16 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

The problem is, pretty much every app requests permission to personal data, so if you refuse to use apps that request it then you might as well not have a smartphone.

I'm not defending it by any means, it's very much NOT okay, but technically you are giving permission to track you when you click OK.

Its pretty standard for an app to ask for call and text access among other things.  You never know what they are doing with that information.

Hopefully this brings a lot of this out and there are some changes made.

I find it odd how this is being reported.  I keep hearing the media use the term data breach.  It is NOT a data breach.  It was data that was freely given and access was consented to.  It doesn't make it right, but the inaccuracy of what is being reported is scary too.  And the analytic piece of it was a survey that was taken within Facebook.  Again, people gave that 3rd party permission to receive all of that data.  Not saying its right ... but its definitely not a data breach.

Affinity for MTG, Lasraik and Jazz like this

19 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Facebook has been one of the worst offenders with online privacy and earning millions selling your personal information and data.  I'm glad it's finally a story that the mainstream media is covering and making people second guess their online habits.

Billions Las....Billions

Lasraik and Jazz like this

4 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Its pretty standard for an app to ask for call and text access among other things.  You never know what they are doing with that information.

Hopefully this brings a lot of this out and there are some changes made.

I find it odd how this is being reported.  I keep hearing the media use the term data breach.  It is NOT a data breach.  It was data that was freely given and access was consented to.  It doesn't make it right, but the inaccuracy of what is being reported is scary too.  And the analytic piece of it was a survey that was taken within Facebook.  Again, people gave that 3rd party permission to receive all of that data.  Not saying its right ... but its definitely not a data breach.

What's funny is the Obama administration did the same thing years ago with social media and everyone called it brilliant.  Either way I'm just glad it's being discussed cause it's something Facebook has been doing too long and people ignored it.

1 hour ago, Jag said:

Billions Las....Billions

Sadly

Jazz likes this