Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

MTG Arena: How Successful Will It Be?

14 posts in this topic

I do think it's basically a Duels of the Planeswalker 2.0, but I don't see that as a bad thing.

However, one of the things that has been hinted about a lot is the potential for drafting. If it can offer legitimate drafting on a free-to-play platform then i will 100 percent definitely be drafting on the game over MTGO. MTGO's draft entry prizes are stupidly high for casual/non-drafters and if I can grind my way to free drafts from time to time then I'll actually start drafting fo rthe first time in my life. :)

Lasraik likes this

15 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

I do think it's basically a Duels of the Planeswalker 2.0, but I don't see that as a bad thing.

However, one of the things that has been hinted about a lot is the potential for drafting. If it can offer legitimate drafting on a free-to-play platform then i will 100 percent definitely be drafting on the game over MTGO. MTGO's draft entry prizes are stupidly high for casual/non-drafters and if I can grind my way to free drafts from time to time then I'll actually start drafting fo rthe first time in my life. :)

I agree, that would get me to start drafting too

The economy is constantly changing, so I can't speak for the final product, but currently you CAN grind for free drafts.  Drafts cost 5,000 gold/coins/whatever and daily quests usually give 350-750ish coins, so you can get 2,500-5,250 just on dailies, and you also get 100 gold/coins/whatever for winning ranked games, which maxes out at 5 wins daily I believe, and there is a running weekly-win reward as well, but I'm pretty sure that's just boosters?

Sorry, I'm sketchy on the details because I haven't played a ton since the current economy reset, but the point is, you can grind for free drafts and I assume that's going to be something that stays in the game, it's just the reward sizes/cost of entry might change with time.

14 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

The economy is constantly changing, so I can't speak for the final product, but currently you CAN grind for free drafts.  Drafts cost 5,000 gold/coins/whatever and daily quests usually give 350-750ish coins, so you can get 2,500-5,250 just on dailies, and you also get 100 gold/coins/whatever for winning ranked games, which maxes out at 5 wins daily I believe, and their is a running weekly-win reward as well, but I'm pretty sure that's just boosters?

Sorry, I'm sketchy on the details because I haven't played a ton since the current economy reset, but the point is, you can grind for free drafts and I assume that's going to be something that stays in the game, it's just the reward sizes/cost of entry might change with time.

I might give it a try now.  The only bad thing about it is the economy is sketchy.

MTG Area? hehehe

I think it'll be successful simply because

1. The UI is so much cleaner than MTGO and it is so much easier to use

2 It will have drafting and Standard, the two more popular and easier-to-get-into formats

3. Cheaper $, most likely

4. WOTC will put its full weight behind it, and it's been listening to feedback. 

5. Being able to play mobile would be a huge boon

Lasraik likes this

23 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

MTG Area? hehehe

I think it'll be successful simply because

1. The UI is so much cleaner than MTGO and it is so much easier to use

2 It will have drafting and Standard, the two more popular and easier-to-get-into formats

3. Cheaper $, most likely

4. WOTC will put its full weight behind it, and it's been listening to feedback. 

5. Being able to play mobile would be a huge boon

Whoops...

On 5/17/2018 at 10:39 AM, Lasraik said:

I might give it a try now.  The only bad thing about it is the economy is sketchy.

Yeah, because it's still in beta, you never know when the system is going to be overhauled. They do profile-wipes from time to time as well so they can test new versions of the economy. But, of course, the point of all of this is to get the economy nailed down for when it is officially released. :) 

I didn't read the whole thing, but I saw the *ahem*panic-whining*cough* discussion on Twitter among my fellow beta testers. As I keep telling everyone, this thing is in super early beta and the whole purpose is for beta testers to test which economy works best. It's been through multiple overhauls already and will probably go through several more before release. The idea is to TEST the economy and then give feedback to the developers can tune it and (hopefully) perfect it before it is officially released...that's why we signed up for the damn beta in the first place. :P

Lasraik likes this

17 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

I didn't read the whole thing, but I saw the *ahem*panic-whining*cough* discussion on Twitter among my fellow beta testers. As I keep telling everyone, this thing is in super early beta and the whole purpose is for beta testers to test which economy works best. It's been through multiple overhauls already and will probably go through several more before release. The idea is to TEST the economy and then give feedback to the developers can tune it and (hopefully) perfect it before it is officially released...that's why we signed up for the damn beta in the first place. :P

Panic and whining on Twitter?  Nah!  :D 

I don't think most people know what being a beta tester really means or see the big picture in terms of development.

I don't know if Arena is gonna be for me if you will never be able to draft with other people. I don't want to do a psuedo draft with bots. Right now feeling kind of let down and no desire to really play. Plus with the economy the way it is, it's such a huge grind

On 6/8/2018 at 9:47 AM, MTGZuby said:

I don't know if Arena is gonna be for me if you will never be able to draft with other people. I don't want to do a psuedo draft with bots. Right now feeling kind of let down and no desire to really play. Plus with the economy the way it is, it's such a huge grind

I'm guessing they eventually want Arena to be the flagship digital platform, but not sure this is the launch they planned for.  The economy is something they have to iron out pretty quickly or people will leave and not come back.