Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChuckWagonMTG

Brawl vs. Standard

14 posts in this topic

So my lgs, who has always had amazing fnm lineups is thinking about a change. Every fnm, they run casual standard, competitive standard, commander, legacy, modern, and free play. They are now talking about replacing standard with brawl. Now, I really want to play brawl and I think it will be fun, but I'm not wanting to give up standard to play it. Are any of your lgs doing anything similar? And if you had to chose, which one would you pick? 

Lasraik and MTGZuby like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ChuckWagonMTG said:

So my lgs, who has always had amazing fnm lineups is thinking about a change. Every fnm, they run casual standard, competitive standard, commander, legacy, modern, and free play. They are now talking about replacing standard with brawl. Now, I really want to play brawl and I think it will be fun, but I'm not wanting to give up standard to play it. Are any of your lgs doing anything similar? And if you had to chose, which one would you pick? 

Wow, replacing Standard with Brawl?  Maybe hoping to get the less competitive people to come in and play?  What is their reasoning?

I don't see it happening at my LGS, but I haven't been too active the last couple months there either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

Wow, replacing Standard with Brawl?  Maybe hoping to get the less competitive people to come in and play?  What is their reasoning?

I don't see it happening at my LGS, but I haven't been too active the last couple months there either.

Not entirely sure on the reasoning aside form maybe an easier way to get new people in, but that's just a guess. I've been meaning to talk to the owner about it, but he's been hella busy getting the new shop ready. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ChuckWagonMTG said:

Not entirely sure on the reasoning aside form maybe an easier way to get new people in, but that's just a guess. I've been meaning to talk to the owner about it, but he's been hella busy getting the new shop ready. 

Is Standard that unpopular?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2018 at 0:03 PM, Lasraik said:

Is Standard that unpopular?

It has been dying out, but the store just moved and is planting it's feet in the new location, so that might be a part of it. But then again, their modern crowd is always 20+, while standard sits around 8. I think, given time, standard could make a comeback. But like Affinity said, the challenger decks make it so dang near anyone can enter a fnm with it and stand a chance. Not a good chance, but still a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2018 at 4:23 PM, ChuckWagonMTG said:

It has been dying out, but the store just moved and is planting it's feet in the new location, so that might be a part of it. But then again, their modern crowd is always 20+, while standard sits around 8. I think, given time, standard could make a comeback. But like Affinity said, the challenger decks make it so dang near anyone can enter a fnm with it and stand a chance. Not a good chance, but still a chance. 

Nobody likes to show up to FNM or a tournament and get their butt kicked cause they don't have the best/most expensive deck.  Hell, it's even a challenge getting Challenger decks in the first place, the markup on them is just ridiculous.  They need to print more of them so everyone who wants one can get one and make some improvements to play at events.

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Nobody likes to show up to FNM or a tournament and get their butt kicked cause they don't have the best/most expensive deck.  Hell, it's even a challenge getting Challenger decks in the first place, the markup on them is just ridiculous.  They need to print more of them so everyone who wants one can get one and make some improvements to play at events.

I fully agree. The point is to make the next level m,ore accessible to new players. By limiting printings and having people/stores hoard them, it is doing absolutely nothing that it was intended to do.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 5:31 PM, ChuckWagonMTG said:

I fully agree. The point is to make the next level m,ore accessible to new players. By limiting printings and having people/stores hoard them, it is doing absolutely nothing that it was intended to do.

Rumors are that there's another round of Challenger decks being shipped out but why limit them so much?  Print them and let players use them, having such a low amount go up and stores sell for double the MSRP discourages players from getting them.

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 10:50 AM, Lasraik said:

Rumors are that there's another round of Challenger decks being shipped out but why limit them so much?  Print them and let players use them, having such a low amount go up and stores sell for double the MSRP discourages players from getting them.

Unfortunately, Hasbro doesn't care about that. They care about the bottom line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0