Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JudgesFamiliar

Need help with a Midnight Gond Combo

4 posts in this topic

Hey y'all, 

I'm new to MTG, and I am trying to get a reasonably priced deck together for FNM to play in a casual tournament with my girlfriend. I am supping up a pauper combo deck with a few modern staples and a legacy tutor(Casual at my FNM is not strictly modern as long as you don't bring a top tier deck). I have done my research and purchased/traded for cards. Now I need some advice on putting a deck put together with what I have. I don't know which proportions I should have of which cards, and which I should pick over others with similar effects (ex. Vines of Vastwood vs. Blossoming Defense). I think I have covered my basses, and have the best options for this build except for Modern staple lands and Noble Hierarchic which I'm not ready to splurge on.

The deck is simple, when Midnight Guard is enchanted with Presence of Gond, it taps/untaps to produce infinite 1/1 elf warrior tokens. If I have Soul Warden or Essence Warden in play I gain infinite life as well. If Altar of the Brood is in play, I deck my opponent. If I can't find Midnight Guard, Famished Paladin will do the same song and dance as the main combo with the stipulation of one of the Wardens in play. The casual tables at my LGS don't tend to use alot of modern staple sideboard hate, and Wraths and removal seem to be the go-to disruptors. Even then, not a terrible amount of them are used, therefore, I don't think I need a terrible amount of protection. A perfect game goes as such... 

Turn 1: Forest down and tapped for BoP
Turn 2: Land down and tapped alongside the forest and BOP for Midnight Guard
Turn Three: Land down and tapped alongside the previous two and BOP for a Altar and Presence of Gond. Tap until they are decked and I lord over them with a massive army.
(Laughing maniacally optional) 

I have full playsets of the following cards, but getting the right numbers right for the deck is hard for a novice. How much redundancy should I plan for? How much protection? How many Tutors? This will be my first deck I've brewed so I'm very exited! Thanks for the help guys, my cards are as follows...

Tutors:

Commune with the Gods
Eladamri's Call
Heliod's Pilgrim

Combo Pieces:
Presence of Gond
Midnight Guard

Protection/Removal:
Vines of Vastwood
Blossoming Defense
Path to Exile
Pacifism

Redundancy:
Famished Paladin

Eliminating the problem of my elves not being hasty:
Altar of the Brood
Essence Warden
Soul Warden

Mana dorks:
Birds of Paradise

Elvish Mystic
Avacyn's Pilgrim

Lasraik likes this

The Gond combo is a fun deck to play.  Just so I'm clear, it's pretty much an anything goes type of casual tournament?  Even Legacy cards are legal if you don't have too many of them?

From the above I would say you'd want x4 of:

Presence of Gond

Midnight Guard

Soul Warden 

Essence Warden

Alter of Blood*

Birds of Paradise

Commune with the Gods

If you go with a playset of Altar of Blood I think you could consider dumping Soul/Essence Warden.  The Altar of Blood strategy is an instant win, while going with Wardens gives you lots of life but not necessarily a win right away.  

Might also consider having Apostles Blessing instead of or in addition to Vines of Vastwood.  Apostles Blessing is nice to have because it uses Phyrexian Mana and you could pay life for it's cost in a pinch.

You have it right, as long as you don't bring an obviously top tier deck you are not going to have any problem. I have had a lot of fun with it so far! I think that the Wardens are my best bet for this because they enable adding Famished Paladin for redundancy. I love the idea of Apostle's blessing! I was thinking Brave the Elements would be great to protect Soul Warden, Midnight Guard, Famished Paladin and Heliod's Pilgram in the case of a board wipe. Do you think 8 life-gainers are too many?

Lasraik likes this

On 5/9/2018 at 9:37 PM, JudgesFamiliar said:

You have it right, as long as you don't bring an obviously top tier deck you are not going to have any problem. I have had a lot of fun with it so far! I think that the Wardens are my best bet for this because they enable adding Famished Paladin for redundancy. I love the idea of Apostle's blessing! I was thinking Brave the Elements would be great to protect Soul Warden, Midnight Guard, Famished Paladin and Heliod's Pilgram in the case of a board wipe. Do you think 8 life-gainers are too many?

If your goal is to get the combo off, 8 might too too much.  Just need enough to keep you alive in those bad spots that you might find yourself in vs. aggro decks.