Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Playing Sweepers

7 posts in this topic

What is your strategy playing sweepers?  In single and multiplayer games.  

Are you aggressive in playing them or wait until the very best moment?

I have a deck with Languish and was debating when the best time to play it, and usually when that happens I wait too long so I'm hoping to hear when you all use them and learn a few things :)

JesGolbez likes this

It depends...

how many sweepers in the deck and how many in your hand now? I might be more aggressive if I have a second in hand. I might be more conservative if I don’t or if I don’t run a full playset.

what does the battlefield look like? Do I have removal that can otherwise deal with the problem? If it’s a hexproof idiot that is unblockable and wearing a bajillion enchantments, I might need to cast a sweeper just to deal with it. If it’s a weenie army that is too wide for me to block and my own creatures aren’t getting through to do equivalent damage (or I know they have overrun effects), I might blow up my good stuff to deal with it. If it’s a slight imbalance but I have some removal options and my side of the board isn’t bad, I might wait until things get more lopsided. 

Multiplayer - if it’s just one person that is out of control and I am not open enough to get wrecked by everyone else, I might just sit back and let someone else deal with it. If everyone has a significantly better board state and I am down to weak blocker(s), then blow up the board! 

Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

Thanks, it's pretty situational and hard to pinpoint when the use something like a sweeper but just hoping to get an idea of the checks everyone goes through mentally before using one.  

Similar to what @Aurian had said, it totally depends. There are certain decks and situations where it is correct to just fire it off right away and there are other times where it is correct to be patient on it. A great strategy that I like to use in competitive matches is to play the worst creature in my hand as bait. Most players won't expect you to have a sweeper if you add to your own board. This will trick them into playing more creatures out since they don't think you have the sweeper. Then, your sweeper can be even more devastating!

Lasraik likes this

I love to have sweepers in any white deck, although I don't always have enough to go around. Unless it's pure aggro, having a reset button is already a great ace in the hole.

In free-for-all, it's usually board state dependant, but it also depends on what the deck is trying to do. There are situations when doing a wrath for killing 1 creature is correct, albeit sad. 

Lasraik likes this

On 5/13/2018 at 11:41 PM, Lasraik said:

What is your strategy playing sweepers?  In single and multiplayer games.  

Are you aggressive in playing them or wait until the very best moment?

I have a deck with Languish and was debating when the best time to play it, and usually when that happens I wait too long so I'm hoping to hear when you all use them and learn a few things :)

In Multiplayer games (EDH) I'm pretty aggressive, always nice to be the guy who wipes the board to stop aggro from being a pain.

In single player games it depends. In my particular case I have many forms of creature removal in my Modern Venser Deck (see link below) so I generally reserve the Supreme Verdicts for the untargetable creatures (hexproof.. etc), or if I know they have a counterspell in hand, or if I have creatures on my side of the board that I want to kill to get onto a Mimic Vat.

Lasraik likes this

On 5/15/2018 at 7:45 PM, AlbyMTG said:

Similar to what @Aurian had said, it totally depends. There are certain decks and situations where it is correct to just fire it off right away and there are other times where it is correct to be patient on it. A great strategy that I like to use in competitive matches is to play the worst creature in my hand as bait. Most players won't expect you to have a sweeper if you add to your own board. This will trick them into playing more creatures out since they don't think you have the sweeper. Then, your sweeper can be even more devastating!

Using a creature as bait is a great idea

On 5/15/2018 at 10:48 PM, JesGolbez said:

I love to have sweepers in any white deck, although I don't always have enough to go around. Unless it's pure aggro, having a reset button is already a great ace in the hole.

In free-for-all, it's usually board state dependant, but it also depends on what the deck is trying to do. There are situations when doing a wrath for killing 1 creature is correct, albeit sad. 

In free for all I always worry about playing it too early or playing it too late when it could hurt me or lose a few turns of creatures because of it.

On 5/16/2018 at 7:39 AM, TheCandyMan said:

In Multiplayer games (EDH) I'm pretty aggressive, always nice to be the guy who wipes the board to stop aggro from being a pain.

In single player games it depends. In my particular case I have many forms of creature removal in my Modern Venser Deck (see link below) so I generally reserve the Supreme Verdicts for the untargetable creatures (hexproof.. etc), or if I know they have a counterspell in hand, or if I have creatures on my side of the board that I want to kill to get onto a Mimic Vat.

Mimic Vat :wub:

TheCandyMan likes this