TheCandyMan

Is it worth going to FNM type events with a non top tier deck?

5 posts in this topic

So I have been mulling around the idea of finally bringing my Modern Venser deck (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/767716#paper) to an FNM type weekly modern event at a LGS nearby where I have gone a few times for drafting. I know nobody there and not super social so I'm always a little on tilt even just stepping into the store.

However with Modern being so Top Tier based, I have wondered to myself if it is worth it to spend the money on the entry fee only to just lose out.

Now there is a chance my deck plays well (it has in kitchen table testing against a variety of power levels) but the pessimist in me just things I'm going to get steamrolled.

What are some thoughts, anyone have/had a similar experience?

Lasraik likes this

It really depends on the store environment and what your needs are. Just want to have fun? Don't worry about it. Feeling competitive? Maybe stick to draft, since that isn't based on the tierness of the deck.

Modern is a format where wacky decks can work in small environments... lots of budget brews. 

TheCandyMan likes this

Yeah, it's really going to vary store-by-store. At my LGS, there are a few people who play card-for-card Tier 1 decks (currently they have things like Mardu Pyromancer, Grixis Delver, UW Control, 5c Humans, etc) The rest of the store still pretty much plays tier decks, but they're a little on the budget side or their just not-quite-tier-1, like Merfolk or 8-Whack.

On the other hand, I see people post "FNM-winning" decklists on social media that are pretty janky. I assume they just have a more casual environment where no one is playing tier decks. *shrug*

My best advice is to spend 5 bucks (or whatever) and try it once to see how it goes. If it goes poorly, then at least it's not a ton of money, and you can opt out in the future.

Though I must say, I keep getting crushed at my LGS with a really bad budget version of Affinity (1-4 week 1 and 1-3 week 2) and I still look forward to going. I just enjoy playing the game.

TheCandyMan likes this

Depends on what your expectations are.  If you go in just wanting to have fun and see how your deck goes, then I say go for it and just have fun.  If you're super competitive and will be upset if you don't win, then maybe play an FNM or something there first to get an idea of the kind of players at the store and the environment.

I'd say go check it out, drop a few bucks and see what happens.  Worst case is the players are salty and you lose, but you'll still learn about your deck and how it plays.

TheCandyMan likes this