Why do you play Pauper?

Why do you play Pauper?   7 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you play Pauper?

• Price
    • Power of the cards
    • Brewing potential
    • Large card pool
    • Other (please list)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

I'm catching up on my podcasts (I'll get current eventually) and finally caught the @MTGZuby episode that he interviewed Tolarian Community College.  Part of that discussion was Pauper and why people play it.  The Professor thought it wasn't as much price as it was the power of the cards and it being "Legacy Lite".  I had never really thought of it that way but he had a point.  I still think Pauper is where it is today because of the price point, but it made me wonder if I'm thinking about this all wrong.

Why do you enjoy Pauper?  Is it because you get to play with powerful cards that will probably never be in Standard again?  Or is it because you can buy any deck for the price of one piece of your mana base for a Modern or Legacy deck?  Maybe something else entirely?

I started playing Pauper mostly because of the price and all of the brewing possibilities with such a large card pool.  But I probably continue to play it because the cards are powerful and fun.  If the cards weren't powerful or fun to play, then the time we invest in the format wouldn't be worth it even with the low price point.

Interested to hear all of your thoughts

Abaddon and MTGZuby like this

For me it's all about the price.  My girlfriend and I have a Pauper battlebox full of competitive decks that we share with friends and family if they don't bring cards or just for fun once in a while.  The cost of the battlebox, which I think has 6 decks, was probably less than a Modern deck and maybe about as much or a little more than a top tier Standard deck.  I guess the card power makes them more enjoyable but having a cheap format with cards that are so easy to get most of the time is great.  

Definitely the price. The cards are pretty weak compared to Modern, even though you do get some pretty powerful cards like Counterspell and whatnot. The fact that top tier decks are $70-$100 USD and budget competitive decks can be purchased for $20-$40 is definitely the major draw. It means that almost anyone can buy a tier deck and get a feel for competitive Magic.

It's also REALLY nice when you want to build a new Pauper deck and you already have half the cards in your bulk. :) 

3 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Definitely the price. The cards are pretty weak compared to Modern, even though you do get some pretty powerful cards like Counterspell and whatnot. The fact that top tier decks are $70-$100 USD and budget competitive decks can be purchased for $20-$40 is definitely the major draw. It means that almost anyone can buy a tier deck and get a feel for competitive Magic.

It's also REALLY nice when you want to build a new Pauper deck and you already have half the cards in your bulk. :) 

price and cards in yours or someone elses bulk pile for me too

On 5/22/2018 at 0:23 PM, JesGolbez said:

I love the challenge of making powerful decks with just commons, especially playing them in our free-for-all games versus people with their fancy mythics and rares :P

That's the ultimate feel bad: your deck with fancy mythics and rares getting beat by a pauper deck :lol:

I like the game play aspect. I have been playing pauper for about 2 years and so far have only played one game where I felt I didn't have a chance and didn't have fun

Every other game has been fun, back and forth and I really enjoyed it. Except the times where one of us got mana screwed obviously, but I am not including those.