Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

2018 NBA Playoffs and Finals

18 posts in this topic

/puts on old man kids get off my lawn hat

I remember back in the late 90's and even early/mid 2000's when the NBA playoffs were must see TV.  Every series had at least one fantastic game with a great finish.  

Those days are over.  The gap between the teams is so large that realistically only 1-4 teams have a real chance.  The rest of the NBA goes from mediocre to horrible.  Hell, how many teams this year intentionally tanked?  

The only good thing about this years playoffs is seeing LeBron carry the Cavs on his back to the Finals, again.  To face the Warriors, again.  The Warriors are a great team, but much like the Heat it's hard to appreciate as much when all the stars conspire to play together and form these 'super teams'.  The Cavs went in a win now mode and gave up the future for the present to keep LeBron happy and now he carries that team by himself every night.

So here we go with the Cavs and Warriors.  Again.  Wake me up when it's over.

Uhh, the NBA has long been dominated by a few teams. Basketball is a team sport where you really just need the top 1-2 stars on your team and a support cast that doesn't suck. Teams of simply 'good' players don't win championships... That is why LeBron, Curry, etc teams will always win and why the Toronto Raptors, for example, won't. 

1 hour ago, JesGolbez said:

Uhh, the NBA has long been dominated by a few teams. Basketball is a team sport where you really just need the top 1-2 stars on your team and a support cast that doesn't suck. Teams of simply 'good' players don't win championships... That is why LeBron, Curry, etc teams will always win and why the Toronto Raptors, for example, won't. 

After Jordans Bulls there was a good period of time that it was pretty wide open.  The Spurs were really good but they were beatable.  The Western Conference had 5-6 teams that had a shot.

The Pistons in the mid 2000's had a good run, and they really had no stars whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Lasraik said:

After Jordans Bulls there was a good period of time that it was pretty wide open.  The Spurs were really good but they were beatable.  The Western Conference had 5-6 teams that had a shot.

The Pistons in the mid 2000's had a good run, and they really had no stars whatsoever.

The Pistons seem to be the exception to the rule :) .. it's the teams with the biggest stars. Stars win, in general. You could say that about any team sport, but it is, by far, more heavily weighted in the NBA. You can't win well in the MLB or NHL or NFL without quality depth. LeBron and a bunch of filler nobodies can still win, because the NBA is so different. Always bet on the biggest stars. 

Spurs had Robinson, and then Duncan
Heat had a stacked team with LeBron, Wade, etc
Lakers had Kobe (and Shaq)
Warriors have Curry
Cavs have LeBron

Looking at past winners, the Pistons are one of the rare teams where they didn't have one of the very best players in NBA history. 

Lasraik likes this

18 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

The Pistons seem to be the exception to the rule :) .. it's the teams with the biggest stars. Stars win, in general. You could say that about any team sport, but it is, by far, more heavily weighted in the NBA. You can't win well in the MLB or NHL or NFL without quality depth. LeBron and a bunch of filler nobodies can still win, because the NBA is so different. Always bet on the biggest stars. 

Spurs had Robinson, and then Duncan
Heat had a stacked team with LeBron, Wade, etc
Lakers had Kobe (and Shaq)
Warriors have Curry
Cavs have LeBron

Looking at past winners, the Pistons are one of the rare teams where they didn't have one of the very best players in NBA history. 

All that is true.  But the talent disparity between the great teams and the horrible teams is bigger than ever.  Fans of most teams had hope that their team would at least make a run, but anyone who is being realistic knows only around 4 teams have a real chance.  

12 hours ago, Lasraik said:

anyone who is being realistic knows only around 4 teams have a real chance.  

I think its always been like that ... at least since I can remember.  Its always been about having THE best player, or a group of really really good ones.

I was very surprised at what Boston did.  They are going to be a powerhouse and Tatum is going to be a star.

For now, nobody is beating GS.  That team, as currently constructed, is probably the best team ever assembled.  The Cavs are better constructed to compete with them, but barring an injury, its going to be a short series.

As a Cavs fan, its just so awesome to be watching meaningful basketball through June.

Lasraik likes this

7 hours ago, Dunnar said:

I think its always been like that ... at least since I can remember.  Its always been about having THE best player, or a group of really really good ones.

I was very surprised at what Boston did.  They are going to be a powerhouse and Tatum is going to be a star.

For now, nobody is beating GS.  That team, as currently constructed, is probably the best team ever assembled.  The Cavs are better constructed to compete with them, but barring an injury, its going to be a short series.

As a Cavs fan, its just so awesome to be watching meaningful basketball through June.

It has been about the best player or best teams other than an exception here and there (the 2000's Pistons).  But there are so many really bad teams. 

5 hours ago, Dunnar said:

That officiating crew should never work another finals game ... ever.

That's all I have to say about that.

It's mind blowing that they overturned that call late in the game.  WTF is up with JR Smith?  

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

It's mind blowing that they overturned that call late in the game.  WTF is up with JR Smith?  

Definite brain fart by JR and unfortunately, this will be the narrative of the game.  But why didn't ANYONE call time out after the rebound?  He was clearly confused.

Either way, a team cannot overcome 4 consecutive bad calls in the final minutes of a close game, especially at Golden State in the finals.

There was a clean strip on KD, called a foul

LBJ gets hacked, called clean strip

Charge called, reviewed initiated because of a restricted area question ... overturned the original call.

Hill cleanly strips KD again, called a foul

And to top if off, there was a clear lane violation on the missed free throw.  Granted, its rarely called in the NBA, but shit, they reviewed the charge call.

Edited by Dunnar

On 6/2/2018 at 10:26 AM, Lasraik said:

Well the good news for the Cavs is that it's a series and they aren't going to be blown out and swept.

I'm not so sure about that.

When Steph hits circus shots, KD is efficient, role players like Livingston, McGhee and West don't miss shots ... that team is dam near impossible to beat.

It requires a defensive effort that this Cavs team doesn't have.

LeBron to LA for 4 years (maybe 3 if he opts out).  Why would he go to L.A. and get swept by the Warriors every year?  I don't get it.

Fearless prediction: he will never get to the Finals while he's in L.A. and will opt out after 3 years.

Dunnar likes this

I was mildly of surprised from a competitive standpoint.  The team is garbage, worse than the Cavs team.  If they get Kawhi, there's not nearly enough to beat Houston or GS.

He is not getting any younger ... he will eventually hit the edge a cliff or get hurt.

Would have been nice if he initially signed the 4 year deal in Cleveland ... nobody else committed long term and guys didn't come here because of it.

My team goes back to being completely irrelevant and may never contend for a title again.

CB has never used a DVR?  lol, wow.

Lasraik likes this

5 hours ago, Dunnar said:

I was mildly of surprised from a competitive standpoint.  The team is garbage, worse than the Cavs team.  If they get Kawhi, there's not nearly enough to beat Houston or GS.

He is not getting any younger ... he will eventually hit the edge a cliff or get hurt.

Would have been nice if he initially signed the 4 year deal in Cleveland ... nobody else committed long term and guys didn't come here because of it.

My team goes back to being completely irrelevant and may never contend for a title again.

CB has never used a DVR?  lol, wow.

If Kevin Love can stay healthy and if they pick up a decent player or two, they'll make the playoffs in the east.  

18 hours ago, Jag said:

Now that they have LJ they have a better chance of recruiting some talent to build around him.  This is a money maker for LA win or lose.  Does LJ really care about the rings?

I don't think this decision was about winning.

I will say this ... its going to be a show.  Lonzo Ball and his dad, Lance Stevenson, McGhee, Rondo ... its like the circus is in town.  DeMarcus Cousins would be a perfect fit.  I'm sure it will be a beautiful locker room chemistry.