Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Stanley Cup Final

2 posts in this topic

I know hockey is a distant 4th in the American sports landscape.

But if you even remotely thought about watching or are following from a distance or enjoy elite athletic competition, now is the time to grab your popcorn, sit back, and take it all in.  If the rest of the games are like the first 2, this series will go down as one of THE best.

Las Vegas Golden Knights - they are the first ever North American Expansion team to play for a title in their initial year.  It is truly remarkable what they have accomplished.  However, they are not a fluke.  This rag tag bunch is a fast team that applies a lot of pressure and is anchored by a 2 time Stanley Cup winner between the pipes (Fleury).  They won their division and cruised to the Finals with a 12-3 playoff record.  Their fans are giving the sport the full Vegas treatment and its really fun to watch.  Vegas has home ice advantage and is favored to win.

Washington Capitals - a seasoned team that has won several presidents cups (leagues best record) that always had playoff disappointments. They are led by one of the sports biggest super stars (Ovechkin), has one of my favorite olympians (Oshie), and has one of the leagues best goalies (Holtby).  This was an underachieving team that has an extremely pessimistic fan base that happens to be in the same division as the Penguins.  Because of the way the NHL playoffs are seeded, you play your division rivals first ... which meant the Caps always lost to the Pens (9-1 series lifetime record coming into this year... yikes).  Well this year, they finally got past Pittsburgh.  For whatever reason, this years edition has battled and battled only to come back every time.  Down 0-2 at home to Columbus to win 4-2.  Down 0-1 at home to Pens and fought back to win in 6, down 3-2 in the Conference finals only to outscore Tampa 7-0 in the final 2 games.

Game One was back and forth.  Literally.  Vegas would score, the Caps would answer.  The Golden Knights eventually put it away with an empty netter ... 6-4.

Game 2 was equally exciting.  Vegas started out 1-0, but the Caps came roaring back scoring 2 goals.  The Caps survived a 5-3 power play.  And with 2 minutes to go, this happened:

r377957_1296x729_16-9.jpg

One of the best saves I have ever seen.  In real time, I thought it went in.  It even caused the great Doc Emrick to pause.  Who by the way, is THE best play by play guy in any sport ... period.

The schedule is as follows (all times are Eastern):

Saturday, June 2, 8 p.m.: Golden Knights @ Capitals | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

Monday, June 4, 8 p.m.: Golden Knights @ Capitals | NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

Thursday, June 7, 8 p.m.: Capitals @ Golden Knights | NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

*Sunday, June 10, 8 p.m.: Golden Knights @ Capitals | NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

*Wednesday, June 13, 8 p.m.: Capitals @ Golden Knights | NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

Enjoy!

Edited by Dunnar
Lasraik, JesGolbez and King of Jank like this

Yeah, I used to write about hockey and follow it religiously, but took a big step back a few years back. This finals, and playoffs, has been rather fun to watch ,and it's a joy seeing offensive/fast teams succeed, rather than boring grinders like the LA Kings.