Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wolphard

Wolph's little IT "business"

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A while back I posted about starting a hobbyist IT business from home. I'm not doing a great deal with it so far, but I do get the odd request for advice. Last week I received a nice project, and decided to share it here.

A local family have quite a young HP laptop (the 14-am002nd), which only houses a 32GB flash memory disk. Nowhere near enough to currently run Windows 10 even. It was fresh out of space, "0 bytes available". As a result it ran slow and they had constant pop-ups telling them they needed to free up space. They had bought a 32GB SD-card, but ofcourse that didn't help at all either. So they came to me. The only option I saw was to try and install an SSD. Luckily this laptop does have  a SATA port, even though it doesn't provide room to fit a decent caddy. I resorted to getting a generic SSD caddy, opening it up and using just the connector. To secure the SSD I tacked two tips with superglue. The housing will keep it from rattling as it fits nice and snug, and the glue from sliding. If it works as intended atleast. :) It's glue I use a lot, it's rather brittle. So if ever needed, a little leverage will break the tacks and it can move onto a new computer.

Removing the housing took some work. There are 4 screws under the rubber feet. Luckily I figured that out before breaking the thing.

WP_20180531_14_58_22_Rich.thumb.jpg.0394a7de8dde9f8a870544c28bd2f3e7.jpg

WP_20180531_14_59_24_Rich.thumb.jpg.8614d174fd110ace40943c82599af574.jpg

WP_20180603_11_10_59_Rich.thumb.jpg.9d6ec89e267345af87726228f317d0a2.jpg

5b13e7c49fb60_WP_20180603_11_16_02_Rich(2).thumb.jpg.09ef8819e42133ff6ef1cc273d8ad13f.jpg

Edited by Wolphard

Nice job. I'm typing this on a cheap acer laptop that i bought about 18 months ago. Came with a 1tb HDD, i3 and 8gb. It ran like an absolute whore; taking a good 3-4 to normal boot. Before the first hour was out, i switched in a 240gb SSD and it now flies. SSD make an amazing difference to performance, extending the usable life of kit by a few years. Also, we've swapped out all our HDD's now and have been using several hundred SSD's now for about 4 years. In that time, we have never had a single SSD fail. Not literally one. Typically we'd have a dozen or so HDD's fail every year.

My tip to you for mounting drives, would be the gift of blue tack. I've been using it for years. it absorbs vibrations as well as holding well. SSD are especially good as they are very light and don't get hot.

Wolphard likes this

Thanks. Blue Tack, hadn't considered that yet. So it doesn't dry out too quickly a warm casing?

IIRC it was you who mentioned SSD's here first a couple of years ago. What a difference they make idd. An i3 (M or U?) is a whopping cpu, and 8GB is plenty. All those years I thought my PC was slow, and all that time it was always the HDD holding it back. This HP is running on a Celeron N3060 and a mere 4GB DDR3L. They picked it up for €180 I believe. With this €60 upgrade it has years in it still. All they do on it is browsing and typing in Words. Sadly it only has 1 memory slot. But if need be we can always replace it with an to 8GB stick.

Posted (edited)

On 04/06/2018 at 7:56 AM, Wolphard said:

Thanks. Blue Tack, hadn't considered that yet. So it doesn't dry out too quickly a warm casing?

IIRC it was you who mentioned SSD's here first a couple of years ago. What a difference they make idd. An i3 (M or U?) is a whopping cpu, and 8GB is plenty. All those years I thought my PC was slow, and all that time it was always the HDD holding it back. This HP is running on a Celeron N3060 and a mere 4GB DDR3L. They picked it up for €180 I believe. With this €60 upgrade it has years in it still. All they do on it is browsing and typing in Words. Sadly it only has 1 memory slot. But if need be we can always replace it with an to 8GB stick.

Yeah. I've been banging on about them for years, to anyone who'll listen. 

To answer your question as accurately as i can, i don't know as, to date, i've never gone back to SSD stuck on with blue tack. Just never had to. I've been back in the cases and they're all still where they should be.

What i meant to say was to really work the blue tack well before applying it, wait until it's warm and sticky and slightly stringy. Keeping stretching it for up to 5 mins first. (Then do the same with the blue tack  - tee hee hee... i kill me).

Srsly, work the tack hard man.

Also, it helps if the mount point is perforated or has some kind of patterned surface for the tack to adhere to.

Edited by Pasanda

21 hours ago, ChuckWagonMTG said:

I really wish I knew how to do this kind of stuff. Would be so much cheaper than paying someone to upgrade my stuff, plus I would have a working knowledge of what I actually need.

There are a few of us here who do this stuff as a hobby (or a job). I'f you're really interested, set out to complete a project here and we'll help you get there.

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

3 hours ago, Wolphard said:

Aye, indeed. It’s not that hard, easier than building Meccano. Especially if you’re talking about a desktop computer.

I lol'ed at that. So true. My boy got a meccano starter set for last Xmas - a motorbike. We had to give up towards the end. The stuff is so small and fiddly.

18 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

Yea @ChuckWagonMTG PC's are much easier to build today than they were 20 years ago. No more configuring the BIOS and worrying about the jumpers on your HDD, CD drive etc...and making sure your IRQ's aren't overlapping :) 

... or etching the board and soldering chip sockets and other components ... but then I'm dating myself.

MTGZuby and Lasraik like this

22 hours ago, Wolphard said:

I don't get it.

So i went into the programmers office last week and there was a mini battenburg cake on offer. I said to one of the ladies in the office "I'm not a fan of sponge, if i peel of the marzipan, will you eat my sponge". The office cracked up, explaining that it was a superb euphemism. 

Does that help?

It's basically when you say something normal, which can be misconstrued as something sexual.

Or...

I'd happily overlap my IRQ's with you ANYDAY!.

It appears the Dutch definition of a euphamism is a bit more... uhm... narrow? I figured it’d probably be a sexual innuendo, albeit a tad far-fetched. But I decided to bounce the ball back for a change, as you had the habit to respond “ I don’t get it” in the Funny thread. :P