Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Cards you're selling/unloading before Kaladesh rotates

18 posts in this topic

I'll keep a deck or 2 intact until rotation to keep playing standard, but I'm starting to pull apart the decks I haven't played in a while that are mostly rotating to sell or trade in for store credit toward modern cards or tournament entries to not have to pay out of pocket for much of anything.

I'll be keeping the fast lands, Aether Hubs, Walking Ballistas, Fatal Pushes, Torrential Gearhulks, a set of Scrap Trawlers, a set of Scrapheap Scroungers, 2-3 The Scarab God, 2-4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance, at least 1-2 Hazoret the Fervent, my foil sets of Glimmer of Genius, Winding Constrictors and Disallows, and a couple vehicles I got in foil just in case they break out in modern, or slot into a random Commander deck down the road, .I'll be looking to acqure a few more Fatal Pushes, Walking Ballistas, Spire of Industry and the fast lands for modern and 1 copy of each Gearhulk masterpiece for my cube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2018 at 11:46 AM, Molimo said:

I'll keep a deck or 2 intact until rotation to keep playing standard, but I'm starting to pull apart the decks I haven't played in a while that are mostly rotating to sell or trade in for store credit toward modern cards or tournament entries to not have to pay out of pocket for much of anything.

I'll be keeping the fast lands, Aether Hubs, Walking Ballistas, Fatal Pushes, Torrential Gearhulks, a set of Scrap Trawlers, a set of Scrapheap Scroungers, 2-3 The Scarab God, 2-4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance, at least 1-2 Hazoret the Fervent, my foil sets of Glimmer of Genius, Winding Constrictors and Disallows, and a couple vehicles I got in foil just in case they break out in modern, or slot into a random Commander deck down the road, .I'll be looking to acqure a few more Fatal Pushes, Walking Ballistas, Spire of Industry and the fast lands for modern and 1 copy of each Gearhulk masterpiece for my cube.

I'm going to pick up a couple of things as well I think. Kaladesh is a powerful block, and there's definitely potential for some cards to start seeing more play in the eternal formats, and in Modern too. I'm still holding out hope for Aetherworks Marvel or Smuggler's Copter to go big

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, given the Challenger decks put quite a few cards into circulation, I am not sure how many of the staples will drop a whole lot in $ value. By now, most cards that are staples of Standard are either going to be Modern staples, or have already dropped quite a bit.

Still,

Angel of Invention - Currently $3-4 and played in the God-Pharaoh deck

Chandra, Torch of Defiance - $15 or so and may drop given it doesn't see a ton of Modern play

Disallow - Currently $6-7 and I can't see it holding that price at all

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2018 at 3:48 PM, JesGolbez said:

Well, given the Challenger decks put quite a few cards into circulation, I am not sure how many of the staples will drop a whole lot in $ value. By now, most cards that are staples of Standard are either going to be Modern staples, or have already dropped quite a bit.

Still,

Angel of Invention - Currently $3-4 and played in the God-Pharaoh deck

Chandra, Torch of Defiance - $15 or so and may drop given it doesn't see a ton of Modern play

Disallow - Currently $6-7 and I can't see it holding that price at all

 

Disallow will drop for sure, Chandra has been getting enough play in modern and legacy to pretty much hold where it is now it's taken a bit of a bit from the challenger deck printing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2018 at 1:32 PM, Rhino said:

We are starting to trade out the rotating cards using CardSphere. I need to get rid of a lot of y cards before we start traveling.

That's a good idea.  Just finding the time to sort through everything is what I'm missing :( 

I'm with @Affinity for MTG in grabbing cards that most people want to throw away for my other decks, it's a good time to pick those up.

Temporal Magic likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, King of Jank said:

Does glorybringer have any real use outside of Standard?

Too bad Frontier is dying a slow death, it would be good there.  Maybe EDH or casual decks.  Don't think it's playable in Modern or Legacy

King of Jank likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Too bad Frontier is dying a slow death, it would be good there.  Maybe EDH or casual decks.  Don't think it's playable in Modern or Legacy

Frontier died in the crib a long time ago :P 

Glorybringer... no, 5-mana is too much for any other format except Casual/Commander. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, King of Jank said:

Does glorybringer have any real use outside of Standard?

Surprisingly, a couple decks have top-8'd in modern using Glorybringer. Including "Skred Dragons," which took 1st place at a major Star City Games tournament recently. Here's the list:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-skred-dragons-54011#paper
 

Also, a quick search on MTGtop8.com shows 15 decks with Glorybringer in Modern since September of last year. I can't link to the search result, but type Glorybringer in the "deck must contain following cards" box and switch the format to Modern to see for yourself.
http://www.mtgtop8.com/search

I don't know if it'll be a particularly valuable card because it's probably not going to be a staple red creature, but maybe it can command $2-$3usd after rotation.

King of Jank likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking back on it, Kaladesh and Amonkhet had a lot of good EDH cards. I'm thinking prices might increase on some cards once print runs stop/slow down (if they haven't already)

Like Panharmonicon, the Fast Lands, Authority of the Consuls, Vizier of the Menagerie, Anointed Procession, Torment of Hailfire, Neheb the Eternal, Ramunap Excavator. The list goes on and on for niche cards.

Also, just looking at the prices recently, I didn't realize how big of a price hit some cards from the challenger decks took. Heart of Kiran and Glorybringer only $1.50 CDN. Hazoret only $7 CDN. Crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the cards printed in Challenger decks went WAY lower than MTGO prices, actually, because they weren't printed online. I know for awhile Walking Ballista was $15-$20 USD and $35-$40 online because. Chandra was pretty much the same, and Heart of Kiran has been $2-$4 for awhile, despite still being $8.50 on MTGO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Yeah, the cards printed in Challenger decks went WAY lower than MTGO prices, actually, because they weren't printed online. I know for awhile Walking Ballista was $15-$20 USD and $35-$40 online because. Chandra was pretty much the same, and Heart of Kiran has been $2-$4 for awhile, despite still being $8.50 on MTGO.

Walking Ballista is a multi-format all-star, and now is part of this breakout RB Vengevine Modern deck at this Pro Tour... to think how pricey it would be if it wasn't printed more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0