Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Goblin Chainwhirler playable in Modern?

5 posts in this topic

It's conflicting, because 8-Whack doesn't want to be clogging up it's hand with 3-drops, but at the same time, it really, REALLY likes to attack aggressively and wiping out a blocker or 2 could win the game. The other issue is that 1 damage probably isn't going to be as impactful against beefier modern creatures. It kills things like Snapcaster and Dark Confidant, and it annihilates Affinity if they haven't hit Steel Overseer, but a lot of times it might not be as effective as it is in Standard. Hmm.

Personally, I'd throw a couple copies in the sideboard and see if there are any matches where I desperately need them. See how it feels!

Lasraik and ChuckWagonMTG like this

2 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

It's conflicting, because 8-Whack doesn't want to be clogging up it's hand with 3-drops, but at the same time, it really, REALLY likes to attack aggressively and wiping out a blocker or 2 could win the game. The other issue is that 1 damage probably isn't going to be as impactful against beefier modern creatures. It kills things like Snapcaster and Dark Confidant, and it annihilates Affinity if they haven't hit Steel Overseer, but a lot of times it might not be as effective as it is in Standard. Hmm.

Personally, I'd throw a couple copies in the sideboard and see if there are any matches where I desperately need them. See how it feels!

I agree. While this doesn't seem like a normal fir for 8whack, it oddly sorta does. The only way would be to try it out. Even try a few mainboard while testing. If you get more "Man, i'd give anything for this Chainwhirler to be ANYTHING else" feelings than not, it's probably not a good fit.

Lasraik likes this

3 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Yeah those were some of my thoughts.  Thinking it could be helpful vs. token decks